Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an ex pen for my new puppy. I have some specific things I'm looking for:

1. It has to have some kind of rubber or plastic protectors available for it so I can use it indoors without damagine my wood floors.

2. It has to be able to link together with another ex pen(s) to provide a larger space when needed, perhaps for multiple dogs.

3. It has to be tall enough to act as a good enclosure when the dog is an adult.

4. It has to be metal mesh and light and collapsible enough that I can easily haul it around to dog shows.

5. It has to have some sort of sun shade available for it, so when I take it to outside dog shows on hot days, the dog can have some protection from the sun.

With all that, is there a particular ex pen that you recommend?

Thanks! :)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Ha! You will be surprised what you see at shows! My x-pens are the ones you get at Petsmart. They have plastic protectors you can put on the bottom so floors are not scratched. Dogs are in it from the time they arrived at our home and are tiny until they are teens, but not reliable for full house run. I use the taller ones so the goldens as pups know they cant crawl out. Eventually they don't try and content to stay in one. The pens saved my pups from getting into things they shouldn't when we were at work.

For shows, some take a sheet and clip it all around the pen for shade, some buy patio umbrella's that have a stand they fill with water. There are fans you can buy that run on batteries they clip on the inside of the pen to keep air moving. Some lucky people have cars wide enough to hold the crate so when not showing the dog is put in their crate in the car but the hatch is left open so dog can see all that is happening but sleep and relax. They back into their parking spot so the trunk faces the show. No matter what you devise remember it is something you will be sitting next to. Dogs WILL escape if left alone too long. Most people use 2 x-pens clipped (clips come with the pens) for our larger breeds, but you must consider space and being a good neighbor to others trying to get a spot. Larger dogs are usually put more on the far outside areas (under trees) so the dogs can rest between shows. Bring a chair for yourself.

I try to get a room very close to the show and when not in the ring, we go back to our room. My toy breed doesn't do well in the burning hot or cold temps so sitting outside all day is really hard on them. I usually have 3 with me, so use an x-pen with a sheet over the top for shade. You will see every imaginable type of x-pens, some plastic some wire. I only take wire, even though my breed is very small. They are climbers and can scale a plastic pen in seconds. So wire is my choice. If the show is an indoor one, we just use crates for the most part.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Idk about the shade thing.... But we have the tall pen from Petsmart. It's black, metal mesh and can be linked together. It came with rubber do-hickeys to protect the floor (or prevent panels from closing in or opening up). I love it. My only complaint is its so tall, I cannot reach over and lay anything on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk about the shade thing.... But we have the tall pen from Petsmart. It's black, metal mesh and can be linked together. It came with rubber do-hickeys to protect the floor (or prevent panels from closing in or opening up). I love it. My only complaint is its so tall, I cannot reach over and lay anything on the ground.

Oh, that's a good point. Does pet smart sell the ones with the doors? (I guess I can look for myself on their website. Duh!)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
All pens I have seen have doors, but sometimes when you open it the dogs think it is time to come out. I am med. height and putting water down is the hardest if it needs to be refilled (can't reach to the bottom), so open the door. Food, toys can all be dropped over the sides and the taller height is still not too tall not to be able to reach in and click on the lead of the dog you are needing. My goldens like being in the pen more than their crates, but it depends on who sets up next to us. If it is a hyper breed and jumping around or a fighting breed then mine go into their crates. If next to a smaller or quiet breed then the pen is best. You figure out what works for your dogs at each show, every one is different, but bring both crate and pen, so you have a choice. My car will hold the pens flat and then a few blankets, then the crates. Has worked good for us with a smaller car and the crates don't slide around.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
We have the metal x pens so I'm not help. However in regard to the sun shades, we have a separate HUGE sun shade that we hang from the EZ up and then drape it over the x pen. For some reason I envisioned one of those puppy x pens with a zipper top sunshade when I read your post and I don't think I would recommend that.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I bought a 36 inch Precision ultimate x-pen that has a door (instead of just connecting the sides with bolts) . It is black and can be connected to multiple other pens. It didn't come with rubber floor protectors or the bolts to connect to other pens but you can get the bolts from home depot. It was ordered through Petco with free delivery so I didn't have to hassle transporting it. I plan on using it at dog shows. Since it is Precision brand I know they make a cover for it in metal and I believe you can also get a shade cover. Another option is to buy shade cloth at a local gardening shop. I got a large roll at Home Depot, which I cut into various sizes, and I use for all sorts of things. It can be used to cover an x-pen, if needed.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I prefer metal ex-pens because if the dogs try to chew them it will be short-lived and not destroy the ex-pen. Most people in this area use metal ones (I have Midwest brand with the black e-coat on them) with or without doors and are hooked together by snap hooks from the hardware store. The doors seem nice but also, you have to remember, provide another avenue for escape if you inadvertently don't close them all the way. I prefer them without doors for that reason.

For sun protection they make large pieces of reflective fabric that can be draped over the expens and clipped down the sides so that the dogs have 100% shade all the time. They sell the cloth at hardware stores, at shows and online, I've seen it on Amazon.

I also put mats down underneath so the dogs don't get dirty. The mats are sold at shows and they sell varying sizes :) You also need buckets for water in each pen and snaphooks to hold the buckets. I think that's it :)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Do the ex pens have to be fully connected to form an enclosure? Or could I use it section off an area? We're thinking of getting one for Shadow - but we wanted to be able to block him off in the kitchen at times.
I use one to block off our living room when we have young puppies, they work well for that too :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use one to block off our living room when we have young puppies, they work well for that too :)
Good to know - thanks! Shadow is rapidly approaching needing more space than just being in his crate while we're out. I liked the idea that I could connect the ex pen to the crate, but I wanted to make sure I could use it for other things.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
When our two were pups we opened the x-pen to a size that we wanted and DH installed clips that screw into the wall to secure the sides. As the dogs grew, we enlarged the area as needed. Worked great until we bought enough doggie doors to confine them to the den. We use our x-pens a lot at our country place where in the house the opening to the den is large. We clip two pens together but only fold out what we need, rest stays neatly behind a heavy chair.

·
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have the metal x pens so I'm not help. However in regard to the sun shades, we have a separate HUGE sun shade that we hang from the EZ up and then drape it over the x pen. For some reason I envisioned one of those puppy x pens with a zipper top sunshade when I read your post and I don't think I would recommend that.

Oh, sorry I'm not clear, I definitely want the metal x pens, no plastic. What's an EZ up?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts