Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about Evo dogfood. A few friends swear by it, just wondering if anyone has used it.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's a very good quality food. It's made by Natura. They also make California Natural, which is what our almost 18-month-old eats for his allergies and has done amazingly well on. They also make Healthwise and Innova.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes, I'm quite familiar with EVO dog food. I've used it as part of my dogs' kibble rotation.

I think well of the Natura company. They manufacture the kibble at their own plant and use no ingredients from China. Customer service is great.

EVO Turkey and Chicken was the original formula; and now there are a couple of other formulas: EVO Red Meat and EVO Herring and Salmon and an EVO Reduced Fat.

The original EVO is high protein at 42% and high fat at 22%. It has the lowest amount of carbs of any dog food I'm aware of. I like the fact that the 1st four ingredients are: turkey, chicken, turkey meal, chicken meal.

At the moment, I'm feeding both my dogs 1/2 cup EVO Turkey and Chicken with 1/2 cup Healthwise Chicken Meal and Oatmeal twice a day. It is working well for them. My senior Bentley didn't seem to need as high of protein and fat from feeding the regular EVO exclusively. Equally mixing the 2 formulas still provides 33% protein and 18% fat which is a good fit for my dogs. Since both formulas are made by Natura, the vitamin pre-mix is the same as well as ingredient sources which helps prevent problems.

EVO is not suitable for puppies.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I love Natura. They make great foods. However, EVO has too many ingredients and is too high protein for my dog's digestive system.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I love Natura. They make great foods. However, EVO has too many ingredients and is too high protein for my dog's digestive system.
I totally agree! We stay away from the super high protein foods since they give Tucker extremely loose stools. California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato is just under 22% protein, which has been perfect for Tucker and his weight is right where it should be, plus his coat has never looked better. We plan on putting Tyson on the same food once it's time to take him off puppy food.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My two love EVO

Red meat and the turkey stuff. One was a picky eater till EVO. They both look good. They have been on it for two years. Here are Pronto and Disco.

·
Registered
306 Posts
At what age is is ok and why is it not suitable for puppies?

Thank you
i've read after a year or so you can go grain-free. the high protein and fat levels will go right through a puppy.

our 5 month old just transitioned from puppy food to adult dog food to slow down growth/nutrients and i had a guy trying to sell me evo red meat last time we bought our innova. :doh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our guy is just about 5 months, we just started mixing in the Chicken Turkey evo and he has seemed ok with it, stomach wise. He eats its like there is no tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i suppose it could be a great mix-in with moderation, but it's extremely nutrient rich for a puppy that shouldn't grow too fast.

i would love to mix it in with her regular dog food when she's older but at $40 for a >10 lb bag, no thanks! :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have layla on red meat bites innova w/ grain and it's the only food i can get her to do well on after switching multiple times.

i'm considering giving cali natural another a few months down the road because it's a lot cheaper. :curtain:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Protein is also high for a puppy. You want a puppy to grow slow & steady. Closer to 25 is about right

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Natura does not recommend EVO for immature dogs because of the higher calcium/phosphorus ratio. EVO Turkey and Chicken actually has the highest calcium at 2.55% of any formula I'm aware of. Younger dogs apparently don't excrete excess calcium as well as older dogs.

Higher protein in and of itself has not been demonstrated to cause harm to puppies to my knowledge. My 2 1/2 year old lab ate Orijen Large Breed Puppy with 42% protein and 18% fat from age 9 weeks to 7 months when we switched to Orijen Adult. Her growth was nice and even, we didn't overfeed, and she is a solid 55 lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts