Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Murphy's Mommy
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to find a food that Murphy will eat because he is a very picky eater. We got a sample of Evo beef flavored food and he liked it. I know that it is a very high protine food, and has no wheat or any grains in it. Is this too rich for him? He has been having runny poo for a few days. He also dosnt seem to eat the recomended amount of food. It calls for 3 cups per day for his size, but he barely eats that. I have noticed that he eats at night, so I only put food in his bowl at night, but he dosnt eat it right away. We have had him on this food for about a month now. On a positive note, his teeth are really white, and he dosnt itch as much. I think he may have a wheat or something allergy. He was very ichy before.

Just looking for some suggestions, or comments from others who feed this type of food. Since it is so high in protien, should I be supplimenting with something else? Does he need the grains and things in his food?

Thanks for any comments.. I am at a loss for what to feed him anymore :(

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
EVO is a great food, but definitely high in protein and can be a big change depending on what he was eating before. You may want to give him a little canned pumpkin with the food to help firm things up for him while he adjusts to the food change.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I think many dogs would experience loose stools if they are transitioned over to that food too quickly. The food should be mixed very slowly over a period of 3-5 weeks to prevent loose stools from occurring.

NO, dogs do not NEED grains or potatoes for that matter. ;)

·
Murphy's Mommy
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marlene, thats a good idea. He has been a little moppy the last few days, so I think I might take him to the vet tonight just to make sure he is ok.

·
Murphy's Mommy
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think many dogs would experience loose stools if they are transitioned over to that food too quickly. The food should be mixed very slowly over a period of 3-5 weeks to prevent loose stools from occurring.

NO, dogs do not NEED grains or potatoes for that matter. ;)
I agree we may have changed too quickly, we did mix for about a week. He was doing fine until about 3 days ago. He has been eating it for about a month.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I agree we may have changed too quickly, we did mix for about a week. He was doing fine until about 3 days ago. He has been eating it for about a month.
That's what it sounds like. Just slow it back down, only mixing 1/4-1/2 cup of it with the other stuff for a few weeks & gradually work your way up.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My Golden had very runny poop on EVO Red Meat as well. By the end of the 2nd big bag things had not improved so we switched. I was constantly wiping her and clipping poopy tail and pant feathers. I find the chicken EVO doesn't have this effect on her. You might want to try that instead. EVO is a very rich food and I only need to feed my 70 lb golden 1 3/4 - 2 cups per day.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Funny this post came up today....I'm switching Beamer over to Evo starting this weekend. He has chronic yeast infections, itchy scratchy all the time, so I'm going to give Evo a try, instead of Canidae. Maybe Hudson too, he's itchy. Libby is fine on Canidae...go figure.

·
Murphy's Mommy
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny this post came up today....I'm switching Beamer over to Evo starting this weekend. He has chronic yeast infections, itchy scratchy all the time, so I'm going to give Evo a try, instead of Canidae. Maybe Hudson too, he's itchy. Libby is fine on Canidae...go figure.
Murphy does not ich anymore with this stuff, and he has not had any hotspots since we moved to this food..

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Thanks Katie. Beamer doesnt have hot spots but he's itchy and bitey; Maggies Mom suggested this for me, or him, so I thought I'd give it a try. Good luck with the Murphster!!!

·
2,307 Posts
EVO is very rich and what the bag says to feed is way too much in my opinion.

Another option that is also grain free but not as high in protein is Merrick's Before Grain. It comes in Chicken, Buffalo and Salmon.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
EVO is very rich and what the bag says to feed is way too much in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure this statement goes for ALL dog foods. Of course they want you to over-feed... more food eaten, more food purchased. :)

But yes, this is especially true for such a rich food like EVO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts