Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But mostly the cats. They seem to think it is their own personal kitty condo and to be honest - it is!
The bats moved in not long after we did and we are still trying to convince them to LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE, but they like the big bat house better than the little ones from Lowe's. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
What a neat place!! The kitties must love all the fun high up perches to hang out on! Is this your home? What does the outside look like?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Ahhhhhh,bats in the house! Be careful.It's very dangerous!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Our cats loved my in-laws cabin, which looks a lot like a few of your pictures. Lovely cabin.
Be careful of Bat Bugs...very similar to bed bugs.

It's tought to make a house air tight enough to keep the bats out.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Beautiful!
Owning a log cabin has been my son's dream since he was in 13 years old!
He still has it on his life list and is working hard to earn it!
I cant wait to show him your pictures!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Oh heavens! Bats inside! I sure hope the cats have their rabies shots!!

It's funny because someone on the Newf forum was just asking why bother with rabies shots for indoor cats. I guess you have proof of why!!

The house looks very cool! And your kitties are cuties.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Wow! The cats are having a blast with those bats! I know mine probably would go crazy with them, especially my oldest boy. I would probably have a massive heart attack if I saw a bat hanging out in my house!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is a beautiful home and my cats are sitting here very jealous of your cats. That bat scares me to death, I have a fear of them flying down into my face or biting me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
WOW what a lovely cabin
I like bats but would feel diferently if they were in my house lol
could you not get a rodent repeller of somesort that emits a high frequency sound
perhaps they would chose to live elsewhere then ;)

·
Summer and Phoebe's mommy
690 Posts
Great pics. Those cats look very comfy. I love bats. Isn't there an enviromental agency you could call for that? Can't be safe having them there? Do they leave at all?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bat house

The bats hibernate in caves during the winter. We keep fixing the holes while they are gone and they keep finding new ones! We've only had a few in the house - they mostly stay outside. You should have seen me doing the "shuck and jive" when I was on the 6' ladder fixing the upstairs window when the pictured booger flew past my ear!!!!!! I just about fell off. My sister was visiting last August when one was in the kitchen. I don't know if she will come back.:no:
All the critters stay up to date on rabies shots, including the horses. We're trying to get someone to come fix the eaves on the west side of the house real soon, but seems like no one wants the little jobs. It's +20' on the air, so I can't fix it.
The local bat lady (really - a scientist who studies them) said to fill any >1/4" openings with steel wool. They can't chew through that. We're working on convincing them to live elsewhere. One problem is that we know have 4 years of bats being raised here so this is home to them......
Otherwise it is great! We live in the woods and border 2000+ acres of game management land so I can go out the back yard and ride the foothills for hours. The dogs love it too!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Bats in the house and I'll bet bears in the woods :new (15):

But the cats are cute and look quite comfy. I wonder if the cats think the bats are their toys to jump at and bat their paws at?? :smooch:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking for something else on here and found this old thread so I bumped it!

FYI - The bats were hopefully fully evicted this past summer.

View coming up the road, from front porch and the house with my lovely Copper in the front. I've got to find some new photos. We had all of the exposed concrete covered with stone it looks like a different house!

Attachments

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Wow.........that is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I would love a log cabin......minus the bats of course. I love the winding road....

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Thanks for bumping Teresa, I was not a member then. Looks like you have plenty of space for me to park when I visit ;)

My friend has a log cabin in NH I visit every once in a while. Tucker loved it.

Now Fiona loves it too.

They now have a problem with flying squirrels making a nest in the roof. Exterminator called, traps set etc. No luck. He is about ready to shoot the little buggers. His DW caught one of the cute little Bambi eyed things in the woodstove. Drove it a long ways a way and set it free. She didn't even spray paint the little thing to tell if it came back:doh:. Now there is more commotion than ever.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts