Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read ALL of the threads on here discussing the problems with breeders who advertise specifically for breeding "English" type Goldens. I understand the concern, but if this is the look and temperament that appeals to me, what is a better way to find the right, healthy dog? I am in the Houston area, and I'm looking for a light colored, easy going Golden to join our family of 3 boys and an 8 year old English Bulldog who sleeps all day. We want an inside dog who can run with us and play outside, but who is just as happy to snuggle the day away.

I have been in contact with the breeder at Oakshire Kennel http://www.oakshirekennel.com/aboutus.html
and I would love your opinions on these dogs. I am willing to travel to the Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio areas as well as throughout the Southeast to find the right dog for our family if you know of a better fit for me.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It's hard to check their clearances. They make it look like the dogs have OFA clearances, but only some of them do. The others appear to have European clearances (or none) and they've put what they feel is the OFA equivalent next to it. It makes it look like Vega, for instance, has tested OFA Excellent for hips, which he clearly hasn't. It's a little misleading, though I can see why they list it that way.

I also don't see heart clearances for any dog, and they don't list those on the site, so perhaps they aren't doing hearts?

I'd want these questions answered by the breeder, and I'd like to see verifiable documentation of the European clearances.

Personally, I also like to see multigenerational clearances on dogs and on siblings where possible, not just the parents, and I can't tell if they have them.

I don't see any reason not to continue further in researching this breeder and making contact. In a quick perusal of the site, I didn't see any of the typical red flags that so often show up with folks breeding "English type" Goldens.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Wow! Taking a brief look at the pedigrees it looks like you will have to do a ton of research and reading to find out what the clearances are and how to read them from a number of European countries. It can be done, but in the process, you will learn a great deal.

·
goldenfan
826 Posts
Dream Max is a very reputable Swedish Kennel and all their breeding stock will have the appropriate tests completed. I have judged many of the dogs featured in the pedigrees and they are very nice dogs with good temperaments. Annef

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you know how european their dogs are and what dogs/bitches are in their pedigrees? I have a pen pal in NY and they badly wanted an English golden retriever and were in contact with a breeder about a litter. In reality the couple of English retrievers in there weren't fantastic and didn't all have clearances. Do you just want a dog like a european one or that actually is european? My breeder let a pup go over to Canada she just put endorsements on her that she had to be fully tested and do well in the equivalent of field trials as that was what she was bred for etc if they decided they wanted to breed her.

The dogs on that link look nice and solid boned but I'm not a fan of the real white ones myself but that's just because mine isn't that colour probably :p:, but then it depends what you want to do with them, I really like the colours of some of their slightly darker ones. They at least look good on the website which is more than can be said for some I've seen before!

There are some French retrievers who I absolutely adore, they are bred to be dual purpose I've not seen many others like that. I would be tempted with one of those if I had the money spare.

Good luck with your search! :)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
There are some French retrievers who I absolutely adore, they are bred to be dual purpose I've not seen many others like that. I would be tempted with one of those if I had the money spare.
Can you direct us to some pics of these French Goldens? I would love to see them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you've been told there is a difference in temperament between English and American Golden Retrievers, then you've been mislead. I live in England, know many English Goldens, and until recently had an American Golden. She was, if anything, more laid back than the English dogs. They would come bounding up to her in the park, full of energy--she didn't like rambunctious dogs, so I always noticed when one was coming toward us. Your description of what you want in temperament fit her to a T. She was happy to be under the desk while I worked, but could outpace us easily on a 6 mile hike.

She was also slimmer, a fact that impressed the vet every time we saw him. He was used to "fuller figured" English dogs and always complimented me on keeping her slim.

She was darker in color, but I've seen many American dogs lately that are lighter and lighter. I would stay away from marketing ploys that try to tell you English dogs are healthier or calmer, and try to find a breeder with lighter colored Goldens based on their photos. I know I've come across quite a few, but I haven't looked in the Texas area.

Good luck with your search; I'll be right behind you in a few months.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Texas has lots of nice goldens. Maybe you could contact some established breeders and ask them about Oakshire. I am perplexed about how to assess them, but I do know there are lots of good resources in your area.

http://www.happyhourfarms.com/

Glengowan Goldens
14644 County Road 746
Lavon, TX 75166-1829
972-843-3083
[email protected]

Brandye Randermann at Xcelerate Goldens I think is in Katy TX

Scion Golden Retrievers

Pat Simpson
Austin, TX USA
[email protected]
sciongoldens.com

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts

·
Robin
319 Posts
Can you direct us to some pics of these French Goldens? I would love to see them.
I think Tinsley was referring to some of the golden retriever breeders in France who are focusing on their dogs being dual-purpose, and the fact that she was impressed with that. I don't think they meant that "French retrievers" are some kind of offshoot of the golden retriever breed, like some Americans imagine "English goldens" to be.

Some golden kennels in France that are very well-known are Glen Sheallag, Ashbury, Cheek to Cheek, du Bois de la Rayere, Far and Away, etc.

·
Goldens & Dressage 4ever
117 Posts
My Haley has Dream Max lines, Glen Sheallag and Ashbury. Beautiful dogs. Haley's parent's have all the OFA clearances and CERF.

Make sure that they have US clearances if they are in the US. There is no reason why they shouldn't.

I went with a breeder without US clearances the first time around with Ferguson. You can see the results by my signature. He didn't even get to live to be 6 months.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sure can, they just look fantastic and they really do try to breed a 'dual purpose' golden which is nice, not sure how it stands in the US but there is a mighty big difference between working and show over here still. There are just so many things about these goldens that I love and the owners are genuinely meant to be just fantastic. I believe the people relocated to France a few years ago, lady is british and chap is I think swiss? The dogs they have bred their's from have been selected so carefully to be an all rounder and both people have so much experience in terms of showing and judging trials. If I had the cash I would definitely fancy one of these! Part of the reason I think I like them so much is because the people involved seem to know exactly what they are trying to breed and have seen so many retrievers across Europe in their time to know what they want. Colour doesn't come into it much for them either I don't think, so they have quite a range in terms of shades.

Here are some photos all taken from their website which is:

http://www.rayleas.com/

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you've been told there is a difference in temperament between English and American Golden Retrievers, then you've been mislead. I live in England, know many English Goldens, and until recently had an American Golden. She was, if anything, more laid back than the English dogs. They would come bounding up to her in the park, full of energy--she didn't like rambunctious dogs, so I always noticed when one was coming toward us. Your description of what you want in temperament fit her to a T. She was happy to be under the desk while I worked, but could outpace us easily on a 6 mile hike.

She was also slimmer, a fact that impressed the vet every time we saw him. He was used to "fuller figured" English dogs and always complimented me on keeping her slim.

She was darker in color, but I've seen many American dogs lately that are lighter and lighter. I would stay away from marketing ploys that try to tell you English dogs are healthier or calmer, and try to find a breeder with lighter colored Goldens based on their photos. I know I've come across quite a few, but I haven't looked in the Texas area.
I think it varies quite a lot over here depending on whether the dog is from show or working lines, maybe? Mine is from a more working lined pedigree and he is more excitable. Still absolutely lovely and has a kind temperament but he gets out of hand much easier than a lot of the show breds I've met who are just content to lie at your feet all day. People over here told me he would be calm as anything and it was labradors that were live wires, but boy were they wrong :p:

Re size I got the impression American retrievers were slimmer but I've seen quite a few chunky ones recently too but have to say they could be europeans living in America! My boy is about 24 ins tall which is the top end of breed standard and he weighs about 32kg or 71lbs. I want him no heavier than that but I too see so many who are heavier and people seem to genuinely believe they are meant to look like big bears...

I think to an extent if if you want a european type golden, it may well be best to actually get a european bred one. I think I mentioned my breeder let one of her pups go to Canada she was keen the people knew plenty about the breed and didn't intend to breed from her unless health tests were done and she was proven to be a good example and so endorsements were placed but with the dog leaving the UK and the KC not being in existence in Canada I don't know how strongly those would have held up.

I would definitely consider getting a Rayleas golden at some point if I ever got the opportunity. I just love what they do so much and they don't breed for a specific type in terms of colour or shape, just the standard european type with a nice temperament which can work and show.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Dream Max is a very reputable Swedish Kennel and all their breeding stock will have the appropriate tests completed. I have judged many of the dogs featured in the pedigrees and they are very nice dogs with good temperaments. Annef
For the original poster - Please understand what Annef means here. She is saying the dogs used by Dream Max for breeding have the appropriate clearances. This does not mean any dog sold by them necessarily does.

Make sure that they have US clearances if they are in the US. There is no reason why they shouldn't.
On this point I will disagree. If the dogs have valid clearances from UK/Europe that would be adequate for me.

But here is what I think you need to consider. Unless you know these folks or know someone who does I would not recommend them for you without doing a LOT of research on your own. You would need to learn everything there is to know about these European clearances, how to interpret them and then actually see the clearance.
Something to consider is a breeder is not likely to sell their best breeding stock to someone, never mind some one in another part of the world. And any dog sold after having obtained their clearance in Europe likely has been used and not produced better than itself or there is some underlying issue.
Now for the other end of possibilities. The European breeder DID sell some of their top breeding stock to someone in another part of the world. The purchaser of that dog would likely be VERY selective as to where any of that dog's pups ended up and would likely not want them in the proverbial "pet home" or "newbie" home.

I will say also that all the above is strictly my opinion(s) and I have NO knowledge at all with regard to the breeder you asked about.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Sure can, they just look fantastic and they really do try to breed a 'dual purpose' golden which is nice, not sure how it stands in the US but there is a mighty big difference between working and show over here still. There are just so many things about these goldens that I love and the owners are genuinely meant to be just fantastic. I believe the people relocated to France a few years ago, lady is british and chap is I think swiss? The dogs they have bred their's from have been selected so carefully to be an all rounder and both people have so much experience in terms of showing and judging trials. If I had the cash I would definitely fancy one of these! Part of the reason I think I like them so much is because the people involved seem to know exactly what they are trying to breed and have seen so many retrievers across Europe in their time to know what they want. Colour doesn't come into it much for them either I don't think, so they have quite a range in terms of shades.

Here are some photos all taken from their website which is:

http://www.rayleas.com/

I think the third dog pictured here is Dempsey, who is a half brother to my Breeze's grandfather, Caluimn. The OP might want to check out Kim Cain of Mystic Golden Retrievers. Kim is in Texas, and she has used English dogs in her breeding program having worked pretty closely with Trowsnest over the years. http://www.mysticgoldens.com/

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Dempsey is beautiful as are the other French Goldens, and by that I mean Goldens bred and living in France and I love the idea of a dual purpose dog. Thanks for the links.

·
goldenfan
826 Posts
Just for information if you need to trace a pedigree and look at all the health test on Swedish dogs look at RASDATA. It shows all the puppies bred and all the clearances and it is possible to trace the ancesters back quite a long way. Many breeders do sell top quality dogs abroad but not all.
Many of the Cheek to Cheek dogs in France go back to a bitch I exported to Marie so if anyone does go down that route and needs any info please feel free to pm me. Annef

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if the original poster found a dog. I am in Texas and am currently looking for an English type golden retriever and am having trouble finding a breeder. I have talked to Oakshire Kennel and am wondering if anyone has anything to add.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts