Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Just be aware that coat color and country of origin has no bearing on an individual dog's temperament. It's fine if you prefer the look of the so-called "European Cream" but you still need to do your own due diligence when choosing a breeder AND let the breeder know what kind of temperament you are looking for. Even within a given littler there can be a wide range of personalities!
I know this would be my 6 one . I had a good breeder but she passed with lung cancer. So I just wanted a little help

· Registered
2 Posts
My Way Golden Retrievers, CT
Eastshore Goldens, NH
Stoneledge Golden Retrievers, MA
Quapaw Golden Retrievers, IN (not sure how updated her website is but she is active on FB)
Kyon Kennels (Canada)
Darrowby Goldens, NY (though I can't maneuver their website for the life of me..)
Bandegold Golden Retrievers, MI
Is Trowsnest still breeding???

Thanks for doing this Dana! I think it will be really helpful to steer those members looking for English type goldens in the right direction.
Thank you !!!

· Registered
37 Posts
The problem imo is verifying things- Kathy for instance never sends heart and eye in (Quapaw) and there's one in NC who in the past I used to refer to till I realized she has zero C heart clearances, all hers are P. Plus there is the foreign underaged ortho stuff. There's one here in Ocala who's a MF member but I would never refer to her.
I hope we can come up w a list- but I fear even our list will have to be researched individual litters at a time, I doubt ANY of them are consistently sending heart/eye in and getting C hearts and doing 24+mo orthos. I hope I am wrong. I really do. Thank you Dana. Good idea!
Which one in N.C.?

· Registered
37 Posts
I think that the phrase "Ethical English Creme" is an oxymoron. I am not a breeder, but anyone who "advertises" that they breed "English Cream/Creme" Goldens is breeding for all of the wrong reasons. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!
I don’t agree with this at all. Many with outstanding reputations call them English style.
English Cream Breeder

We got our cream puppy from Recherche Kennels located in Statesville, NC There are excellent
What did you think of breeder?

· Registered
10,841 Posts
English style and English Cream are two different descriptors. In reality what the great majority ( I would guess this at 95%) of dogs claimed to be English Cream are not from England but the Eastern Euro countries; Russia, the Ukraine. Recherche has been discussed numerous times here, they are not GR experts. They are expert at selling puppies for a lot of money.

· Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
Here are the AKC registration details of the parents the breeder provided:

DONETELLO = SS03716503
MAYROSE = SR98755601

Please advise.
Not a SINGLE health clearance on OFA between the two of them. This is a breeder who imported light colored, badly bred dogs and is breeding them together without health clearances to make money.

· Registered
3,791 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Also if you don't mind. I have another breeder with details as below. Please advise if there would be a risk in this.
-----------------------------------
We imported our female from Ukraine when she was 4 months old. Her name is Huntmagic Elegance aka Elza.
Pedigree: Huntmagic Elegance

We bred Elza to a young Spanish Stud by frozen semen and AI. His name is Back to the Future De Lar De Casanova aka Marty. He has been shown in conformation and is doing really well in Europe. His pedigree is filled with champions! He is qualified for Crufts for this year! Marty has three clearances as it is not as popular in Europe to get heart clearances.We will be selling our puppies on limited AKC registration for $2500
---------------------------------------

· Registered
131 Posts
I would pass. Using an excuse as "it's not popular to get heart clearances in Europe" as a way to excuse yourself from using a stud who has all core clearance is shady. Not to mention charging that much for puppies from a stud who doesn't have all core clearances. This breeding is being done in the USA, not Europe. The breeders should at least follow the code of ethics for the breed club for the country in which they live.
You could do better. Keep looking for a breeder who is following GRCA code of ethics.

· Registered
7 Posts
Also if you don't mind. I have another breeder with details as below. Please advise if there would be a risk in this.
We imported our female from Ukraine when she was 4 months old. Her name is Huntmagic Elegance aka Elza.

We bred Elza to a young Spanish Stud by frozen semen and AI. His name is Back to the Future De Lar De Casanova aka Marty. He has been shown in conformation and is doing really well in Europe. His pedigree is filled with champions! He is qualified for Crufts for this year! Marty has three clearances as it is not as popular in Europe to get heart clearances.We will be selling our puppies on limited AKC registration for $2500
any pics

· Registered
319 Posts

The dams clearances align with CoE

however I have no idea they would pair with frozen semen of a dog that didn’t have heart clearances . I see a excuse being cloaked in “transparency”
You would have to do the leg work with this pairing and look at the studs offspring and start going into their clearances and see if anyone has listed any heart defects.
Too much gray area for my liking I would pass

· Registered
3 Posts
In the last 24 hours I've been contacted by four different people looking for English Creme/European/white/light Goldens. I referred them to a couple friends who breed light dogs. But I'd like to create a list of ethical breeders all over the country who breed light dogs, or European dogs. You know they're out there. They do the health testing, they compete, they follow the CoE.

So please list any you know of in this thread. We need to be able to verify them. No greeders, mills, or BYBs, please. Just people who breed light colored dogs, both European and American, and who do it the right way. And then I will see what I can do about creating a list that we can refer people to, since this English Cream thing just keeps coming back like herpes.

Will you help?
I'm very new to this so I hope you can enlighten me...Is the English Cream bread not an accurate description or is there something I don't know about this type of retriever? I assume there is something not positive about this based on your above statement. Thanks Much!
D

· Registered
3,764 Posts
It is that “English Cream” is a fictitious marketing label that is used almost exclusively by less than reputable breeders.

These dogs are almost never from England. Instead they are often sourced from commercial kennels (what you might call a puppy mill) in the old Soviet Bloc countries. The breeders in those countries have discovered that there is a rabid pale dog market in the US, where people will pay exorbitant prices regardless of quality as long as the dog is pale. So, often they keep their best dogs and send the lower quality puppies here for a huge profit.

Also, most of this type of breeder only cares about color and/or profit. You will see parents chosen based solely on color and convenience, which is why they often own one or more studs unrelated to their girls and constantly breed only to their own dogs. That is a set up for profit or convenience, not quality.

Way too often these breeders don’t adhere to the testing standards for the US. They might not test at all, represent underage tests as being appropriate or even bred on failing results tests.

This term gets so much scrutiny because so many bad actors are using it. It is really not about the dogs, it is about shoddy breeding practices, insufficient health certifications and lack of overall quality that are being sold to unsuspecting or uneducated buyers as being better than any other dogs.

There are responsible breeders working with this style but they don’t use this term.

· Registered
685 Posts
I'm very new to this so I hope you can enlighten me...Is the English Cream bread not an accurate description or is there something I don't know about this type of retriever? I assume there is something not positive about this based on your above statement. Thanks Much!
D
Also worth knowing English cream isn’t a thing in the UK. There is no great preference for cream GR’s here, it’s just one of the permissible golden shades. We love all Golden shades, lighter is not better.

UK breeders very rarely export to the US. One reason being the demand for puppies here is sufficient, so they don’t need to. Secondly ethical reputable UK breeders are wary of the obsession some, mainly unethical for profit breeders over the pond have for the lighter ‘cream’ Golden’s.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts