Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 24 hours I've been contacted by four different people looking for English Creme/European/white/light Goldens. I referred them to a couple friends who breed light dogs. But I'd like to create a list of ethical breeders all over the country who breed light dogs, or European dogs. You know they're out there. They do the health testing, they compete, they follow the CoE.

So please list any you know of in this thread. We need to be able to verify them. No greeders, mills, or BYBs, please. Just people who breed light colored dogs, both European and American, and who do it the right way. And then I will see what I can do about creating a list that we can refer people to, since this English Cream thing just keeps coming back like herpes.

Will you help?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Halia Golden Retrievers Winter Garden Florida. She's on the forum

Reactions: DanaRuns

·
Maegan
667 Posts
Marissa Hendrix (Arkgold - also breeds "American" style) in Arkansas, Kristy Theimer (Barafields) in Oklahoma, and Marlo Grayson (Grace N Goldens - also has "American" style) in North Texas all breed light dogs with all clearances, adhere to the COE, and compete.

Reactions: DanaRuns

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
My Way Golden Retrievers, CT
Eastshore Goldens, NH
Stoneledge Golden Retrievers, MA
Quapaw Golden Retrievers, IN (not sure how updated her website is but she is active on FB)
Kyon Kennels (Canada)
Darrowby Goldens, NY (though I can't maneuver their website for the life of me..)
Bandegold Golden Retrievers, MI
Is Trowsnest still breeding???

Thanks for doing this Dana! I think it will be really helpful to steer those members looking for English type goldens in the right direction.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
The problem imo is verifying things- Kathy for instance never sends heart and eye in (Quapaw) and there's one in NC who in the past I used to refer to till I realized she has zero C heart clearances, all hers are P. Plus there is the foreign underaged ortho stuff. There's one here in Ocala who's a MF member but I would never refer to her.
I hope we can come up w a list- but I fear even our list will have to be researched individual litters at a time, I doubt ANY of them are consistently sending heart/eye in and getting C hearts and doing 24+mo orthos. I hope I am wrong. I really do. Thank you Dana. Good idea!

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
I agree Robin. W/ regards to breeders who don’t send stuff in (I don’t get it). I went through most (not all) of those breeders in depth at one point, and all of them had the core 4 clearances done appropriately and publicly verifiable. We can only hope they remain consistent.

There is a website that boasts a long list of English-type breeders in North America who abide by the GRCA, and when I found it and went to vet a few of the breeders, there were a bunch of clearances that I couldn’t find. Of course I’m a novice...but less so than the average puppy buyer, so there’s no way the average puppy buyer would be able to know for sure whether they truly are done.

·
Kristy
9,685 Posts
.... even our list will have to be researched individual litters at a time....
This is a good rule of thumb but is very disheartening. This isn't rocket science (clearance and genetic testing info is out there and readily available) and certainly the volume of puppies being produced means they can afford to get the clearances done. Truly shameful.

No, I don't believe that Trowsnest is breeding anymore on a regular basis, if at all.

·
Kate
21,496 Posts
ethical breeders all over the country who breed light dogs, or European dogs. You know they're out there. They do the health testing, they compete, they follow the CoE.
The awful thing that goes through my brain is every time I check a box on a breeder, thinking that they at least are going about the whole breeding thing the right way....

THERE YOU GO - they are breeding an 18 month old dog who failed elbows or has a questionable history behind him to another dog who has a completely unknown history. :frown2:

That's just dumbing down recommendations to pointing people in the direction of breeders who have bare minimum done clearances on all their breeding dogs.

Competing - I have no idea what that even means right now when people say they compete. You had another thread where somebody was making a big deal about CGC titles and dock jumping titles - as a way of proving what they breed before they breed. And the one exchange went awry when it was outed that the CGC titles weren't even sent in to AKC so who knows if they are legit.

But hey - even rally titles which a lot of people are touting as proof that they breed "performance" dogs is "curious" sometimes. I was chatting with my instructor about the last trial I did with my Jovi. When we were going into the ring, there was a golden retriever in Rally Advanced having a VERY VERY VERY VERY to extremes bad day. This was a dog running around the ring, barking at the owner, and showing every sign of being unable to work out there. The judge was being kind in letting the handler finish her run - but dog should have been excused at the first loss of control. This was a dog with a RN title - which a lot of breeders across the board tout as a "my CH dog has brains too" title. :(

There's a lot more stuff, but quite honestly there's reasons why it's so difficult to put together a list of breeders who reliably 100% toe the line. So many don't.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Is that AZ gal Italian bitch owner?
We need to add you to the list. But I suspect since she's not white you'll stand out like a a sore thumb.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Along with Kyon, there is also Blackpool (both are in Ontario, Canada). They are light coloured, not sure either would use the term English Cream.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I know a gal in AZ that does have European lines with full certifications, but I don’t think I am allowed to name names. ?
Fortunately, I already know about that breeder. Even sent someone her way a couple days ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I came across ChrisTi when I was looking for a breeder, but I didn't look at them for too long, because that's not my personal taste in dogs. I haven't gone through anything in great detail, but to my untrained eye, things looked ok!

The breeder is Christi Golden Retrievers.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Light puppies in Pilot's litter were a surprise at the time. We later found where it came from. I don't know anyone that specifically breeds for lighter color.

·
Robin
312 Posts
This is the list I usually refer people to, but I know there are some on here who do not consistently send in clearances ?, so it's important for people to verify each litter and use their own judgement.
Michigan: Brandegold (Jody Brandeberry) Texas: Northern Love (Nancy Porter Gadd) Wisconsin: Cedar Goldens (Tom and Mary Schulz)
South Carolina: Tanglewood (Joanne Cava) Oklahoma: Barafields Goldens (Kristy Theimer)
Vermont: Kernow Goldens (Pam Badger) California: Star Crowned Goldens (Karen Webb)
Massachusetts: Stoneledge Goldens (Louise Guy)
Arizona: Anasazi Goldens (Laura Jack)
New Hampshire: Eastshore Goldens (Wendy Bergeron)
New York: Crosscreek Goldens (Chris Miele)
Canada: Coppermoon Goldens (Shannon Flynn)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Two more for the New England area:

BeauGeste
In MA, breeds both American and more "European" type dogs. I know her personally (I own one dog she bred, my first dog was sired by one of her dogs); she's a long time breeder, well-respected, many champions, great longevity, lovely temperaments

JRS
In MA, only know what's on her website but it looks good. Advertises that she specializes in "English-type Goldens." Due diligence recommended however (re: clearances, etc), as always.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
....so it's important for people to verify each litter and use their own judgement.
Thank you for saying this...a good rule of thumb for any breeder/litter.

Totally forgot to mention Kernow in VT...I am in handling classes w/ her daughter and she's awesome.

And Anasazi in AZ of course.

I have friends who paid far too much for a very poorly bred "English Cream" puppy who has all sorts of issues/things going on. Knowing what they are going through with their boy, and being a member here I think it's important that if people know they prefer English type that we educate and provide them with those breeders who do it right.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My friend, Susan, is a very responsible breeder, does clearances, breeds for temperament, shows, trains obedience, and some of her litters have been very light (but she does not only breed light goldens...just has many currently who are very light) - Willo-B-Woods in IL.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Is that AZ gal Italian bitch owner?
We need to add you to the list. But I suspect since she's not white you'll stand out like a a sore thumb.
True I don’t breed for light color or profit. I breed for a better dog. This difference is ultimate reason most “English Cream” breeders are not stellar.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts