Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece was recently diagnosed with epilepsy and is looking for a service dog to alert her and assist her. I am looking for names of organizations that train dogs to do this. I know some members of the forum have golden retrievers that perform in this capacity and am hopeful you can point me in the right direction, the questions that need to be asked and other things that a novice starting their research needs to know. My niece lives in Salt Lake City area, but quite honestly I believe they would be willing to travel anywhere in US to find the right fit.

Appreciate any insight!

Jenn

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The organization I worked with as a volunteer for 12 years places seizure assist dogs. They have no way to train a dog to alert, since they don't know what the dog is alerting to (is it a subtle change in movement, a subtle change in smell, or is the dog detecting electrical changes in the body). And it's unethical to have someone go off their seizure medications, in order to train seizure detection.

But what they HAVE found, is that the dogs absolutely start to alert once partnered, and choose their own alert. It might be pawing at their partner, it might be barking, it might be laying down in front of them and refusing to move, etc.

That organization is Canine Assistants, located in north Atlanta (Milton, GA). There is no charge to the recipient, and there is a two week training camp. They place dogs across the US.

Canine Assistants

Victoria Stilwell is on the board of directors, Milkbone is a corporate sponsor (in fact, the two golden puppies on the puppy box are Canine Assistants).

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts