Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found nothing new so perhaps I can coax someone to share their successes. Boomer is a neutered male approaching 19 months old and is normal in all ways, except epilepsy. I would like to think I've seen all of his seizures but of course I've not been with hi 24/7. As far as I've seen, one grand mal and one 'almost' grand mal. Not a pretty sight, heart-wrenching to watch.

He is under close vet care, and his regimen is 2-100 mg phenobarbital 12 hour intervals. His liver/kidney functions tested regularly. I've tried introducing hemp oil with no success. With his current phonobarbital dosage he's randomly, 4 days to two weeks, experiencing petit mals, severe wincing and loss of motor skills, with a 4-8 second frequency, lasting up to 45 minutes.

I'm awaiting to hear back from vet (vacation) to recommend some changes as he has told me that we will achieve perhaps less than one seizure a year, or none, with proper meds. I'm doubtful. Purina special food is on the horizon as a possible change.

I'd love to hear of your success or failures. What, if any triggers you have noticed in your dog. I have noticed none.
Thanks in advance,
John

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,902 Posts
I'm sorry Boomer is having seizures.
I don't have any experience with them, several members have.
There's a lot of info in the Seizure Section, several threads you can read through.

I moved your thread into this section.

Here is some info from a member who has experience with seizures.

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-seizures/500638-epilepsy-seizures.html

ETA: I know you said you're using Hemp Oil, but the CBD oil from what I've read is more effective. You may want to ask your Vet about using CBD Oil to treat Boomer's seizures and check your State Laws regarding using and purchasing it.

In my State-NC, CBD Oil is not legal. It has been approved to treat Humans with Seizures with a prescription from a Neurologist but it can not be purchased in NC. It's approved for Clinical Trials at the University Hospitals.

Here's an article you may want to read-

https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/cannabis-oil-dogs-everything-you-need-know

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 5.5 years old Gatsby suffers from seizures, healthy and athletic otherwise. His seizures started at the age of 4 with frequency of about once a month. The first couple of seizures were really long and severe. The first one lasted about 2 hours in the middle of the night, but we thought the dogs were playing in the dark (they never do). Then we realized Gatsby is alone and has this massive seizure with his head hitting the walls and plants. As we were rushing to emergency, I thought we will not make it in time.

Now his seizures are much milder. I don’t think he loses conscience, he comes to me right before the seizure to hold him tight, he is stiff, but doesn’t flip on a side, he stays motionless for about 30 to 60 seconds and then he is back on his legs, fully recovered.

I think his triggers are flea/heartworm preventives or vaccinations. He had a grand mal right after the annual checkup last year when he got rabies and lepto vaccinations and then I served him bravecto. This year the vet didn’t vaccinate him for lepto, I stopped bravecto and put him back on topical. Stress is definitely a trigger for him.

For 6 months in row his seizures coincided with a full moon, but this theory doesn’t hold well for the last few months.

I recently started Gatsby on CBD oil, don’t know yet if it is helpful, so far no seizures, but it has been only 3 weeks. It is relatively high CBD dosage (60ml bottle with 840mg CBD) with just a trace of THC. It is not as high in CBD as from licensed producers, but to get the oil from a licensed producer that is also a full spectrum oil, I would need a prescription from a physician.

Soon, after October, we won’t need a prescription in Canada, yay, and then I will go with the super concentrated, full spectrum CBD that is also lab tested. Now in many cases (besides the licensed producers) the whole CBD industry is a half legal operation and the test results are nowhere to be found.

The hemp oil is not the same as CBD, it is just a food supplement, with no healing properties.

I didn’t put Gatsby on any standard seizure medication. Neither my regular vet nor the neurologist recommended pheno because of side effects. They wanted to put him on gabapentin.

I encourage you to look into the CBD topic. There is no proof it works for dogs, but in humans studies show it can prevent seizures. Hugs for Boomer and you as I know how terrifying the seizures are.

·
Leslie
719 Posts
My Helo had good success with potassium bromide but I believe what really stopped his seizures was a change in food. He had an allergic reaction to a fish flavored dog food and then an hour after his face puffed up like a balloon, he had 3 grand mal seizures in a 45 minute period. I thought I was going to lose him. The allergic reaction is what alerted me to the fact that his seizures could be caused by his food so I took him off that brand (Nutro) and never fed him anything with fish in it just in case it was a reaction to fish. He then never had another seizure in 4 years. He passed away last October but not from anything seizure related. He was on potassium bromide until the end "just in case" and he had no side effects from it. I was just very happy I was able to give my sweet boy some seizure free years. Those grand mals are just horrible. Good luck. I hope you can keep Boomer's seizures under control!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Bailey was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy in February 2018 at the age of 3 years. After an MRI and a spinal tap our neurologist placed Bailey on Zonisamide, 200 mg (two tablets) twice a day 12 hours apart. It is the only drug he takes. We have seen no side effects. Prior to treatment he was experiencing a grand mal seizure every 2 to 3 days. He has not had a seizure since February 12, 2018. The day after he began taking the drug. Zonisamide is usually used in conjunction with sodium bromide and/or phenobarbital. It has been shown to have fewer side effects and is quite helpful in many cases. Bloodwork is done every 6 months while on this drug. Here is an article you may be interested in:
Zonisamide trial

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank all of you as the more I read the more I am convinced that there are so many variables that attempting to isolate anything is nearly impossible. I have tried to determine any coincidence, common items, but nothing rings a bell unless I think of when we changed to Purina ProPlan and roughly when seizures started. So, may change food and see if that affects anything. Thanks all, fortunately he seems no less healthy and the petit mals have not lead to any grand mals but once, early on.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our 13 year old boy Elliot was taking phenobarbital for seizures. Although the his seizures were well controlled he got pancreatitis. Our vet suspected phenobarbital was the cause. He taken zonisamide for the last 4 years with no seizures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts