1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
This is such a worry, especially for my dog Finn who has seizures. Tick diseases are awful too, so it's like picking poisons, literally.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have had trust issues with these medications for years. I really don't like using them. Two years ago I put Advantix on both of my dogs. The next day both of my dogs were very ill. They were lethargic, vomiting, and my male even became aggressive. I have not used this brand since and I am still not sure about others. Every time I medicate my dogs they are sluggish the next day and that worries me.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I use only when absolutely necessary. They scare me to death...... when they say humans shouldn't touch, I'm not so sure I want that on my babies. Many people on the AIHA site have had issues with them too. Luckily ( knock on wood) unless we are going to my son's, we haven't had the tick prob that so many here have. I brush daily and bathe weekly which really helps I'm sure.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
Moxie is on sentinel which does everything but ticks...but the fleas are what worry me with her being around so many people and i an evironment where so many people live. She gets brushed daily and bathed weekly/bi weekly and she's fairly short haired/non smelling, then again bathing her is not difficult just throw her in the shower with me.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have used Frontline Plus for years and just switched to Biospot due to cost. I have never had any issues and used the Frontline on a sheltie and KC. I do monitor them closely after application to be cautious. I really have no choice, we have woods behind the house and alot of ticks, dog and deer. I pick ticks off the dogs all year so I have to take precautions. They also get yearly lyme tests and vaccinations.

v

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
City life makes the issues of ticks easier but fleas harder

·
3 goldens
11,706 Posts
I usedFropntline and Frontline plus for years but couple of years they stopped working. Would see fleas after two weeks and I sure was not going to "double up". Itried theAdvantix and same thing.

Luckily I have not seen any tickes in a couple of year but we had horrible fle situation lat year. I talked to some who had used the pillComfortis and they were mot happy with it. I researched and found nothing bad at all about it (I did abou that ProMeris, tho) and I tried the comfortis and it worked great!.

Honey had so many fleas and I gavbe her a cap star, sprayed house and yard. Give her the Comfortis 2 days later, and a week later sprayed again. Even tho I did not see any fleas, I have her comfortis in Sept and only two months ago gave her another. No fleas all wintr long. It doesn't work on ticks is the only draw back if you have a tick problem./

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
This may sound wierd but put lime down in the yard. We lime the yard, heavily every spring due to moss and clay. We have never had a problem with fleas in 16 years. We have woods in back of us and a lot of wild life, no fleas. I was told they don't like lime. Wish it worked on ticks.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We use diatomaceous earth on our yards and haven't had any pest problems in years either. However, do NOT use that which is for swimming pools. It has been treated and is very toxic. For alot of "green" ideas for pesticides, fertilizers, even indoor cleaners. ....... www.dirtworks.net Lots of info about DE too

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
This report simply states that the EPA is making it a priority to look into the top-spot pesticides. They take incidents very seriously, and they need to do more serious studying of the potential side effects of these products. They've been studied extensively already, but more scrutiny is warranted.

It's important not to put the cart before the horse, though. They're looking into a spike in complaints. That doesn't mean there's evidence yet that these products necessarily have any more problems than are currently known.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts