Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here familiar with this Minnesota breeder?

MN ENGLISH GOLDEN

I'm new to this forum, and Golden Retrievers in general. I spoke with her on the phone, and everything seems legit, but was wondering if anyone here has experience dealing with this breeder, or knows someone who has.

Thanks.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I would find a different breeder. It looks like they do hips and elbows on some of their dogs, but what about eyes and hearts? Also, it doesn't look like they show in any kind of venue.
The use 'English creme' as a marketing ploy... bad sign.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,511 Posts
Is anyone here familiar with this Minnesota breeder?

MN ENGLISH GOLDEN

I'm new to this forum, and Golden Retrievers in general. I spoke with her on the phone, and everything seems legit, but was wondering if anyone here has experience dealing with this breeder, or knows someone who has.

Thanks.
I wouldn't. Let's leave it at that.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swampcollie...

Thanks for your input, but you didn't give any reasons. I see you're from MN. Are you familiar with this breeder, or do you have other reasons? Can you recommend any breeders in the area?

Thanks!

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Reputable fanciers of the English style do not market their dogs as "cremes". They are referring to dogs as "Full English" but they are not English imports--instead they appear to be from Eastern Europe and maybe Scandinavia from what I can tell of the limited names posted.

Here is a better place to start looking if you are interested in the English style. English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs It also has a good explanation of what to look for in a good breeder and some of the warning signs that point to a "white golden" pusher.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
I have to say that I find their "guarantee" to be a bit of a sham as it requires the return of the original puppy. Of the breeders I know with guarantees, no one requires the return of the original puppy. The only reason I can think of to require the return of the puppy, is because the breeder knows that most people will not do that, as they will become attached to the puppy.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Beware with the "English Cream" come on. These dogs originate in Eastern Europe and come with a whole lot of baggage. The white color is a genetic variant. Its no indication the dog originated in England or Scotland. There is a lot of hype associated with this dog, and the price may reflect this. Some breeders may take advantage of this and you may be blinded to underlying disease. English Creams do not have genetic preponderance to cancer, hips and eyes more than any other retriever.

You bring a Golden into your life not because of the color, but because of the breed.

I have not heard anything bad about this breeder, but just going through the web site sends up red flags.

There are some " English Cream " breeders I would avoid like the plague. They are documented on this forum and others.

We got an English Cream some years ago. It was a disaster.

Enough said.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of your responses. I don't have a color requirement, but ran across the website and was stricken by the beauty of the dogs. I was not aware of potential problems with these dogs or the breeders. For all I know, they may be legit, but after further research, and from the advice I've received here, my search continues. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a breeder that meets all of the requirements listed in some of the articles I've read.

If anyone can recommend a good breeder in my area, I would appreciate it....Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. I live in Minnesota but am willing to travel a bit if necessary.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, it doesnt need to be an English Golden. We just want a good, healthy dog from a reputable breeder.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Doolin goldens is in Wisconsin (i think) and they have BEAUTIFUL dogs. Sophies mom Sophie and Sawyer are from there and they are the cutest dogs! Thats about the only breeder I am familiar with in that area :p Im sure other members will chime in :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a dog of UK origin but the problem can be finding a reputable breeder and because of the hype surrounding this style there are 10 bad breeders for every one reputable breeder....

There ARE reputable breeders of English style dogs... but finding them can be a bit more work. If you don't care then just find a reputable breeder and don't worry about the rest ...

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
^ what Shalva said. There has been many people using the 'english creme' as a marketing tool and do nothing with their dogs. If you search 'english creme breeders' in the search you'll find many debates.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Have you contacted your local golden retriever club? Ours has a list of breeders who are all members of the club, the ckc (I'm in Canada), do needed clearances and establish life long relationships with their puppies people. I would not consider a breeder in our area who is not a member of the club.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
I once had some correspondence with Mac Macrae,(sic)

He is a breeder in Wisconsin.

I highly recommend him. He does belong to the forum,. I am not sure if he is still in the business.

Good luck in your search. Its worth it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :wavey:I recently asked for breeders is WI. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/choosing-golden-retriever-breeder-puppy/107421-breeders-west-central-wi.html
I hope it helps you. I know everyone here has helped me figure out what we are looking for and where to look. We are hoping to get a puppy from Linda/Tahnee this spring. :crossfing You'll have to decide what kind of dog you want and then everyone here can help you find the right breeder.:D Where in MN are you? You could contact your local club for a breeder referral list.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
I have heard good report s about Hearts of Gold breeder in Wisconsin. A friend got one with them and she was very happy

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you contacted your local golden retriever club? Ours has a list of breeders who are all members of the club, the ckc (I'm in Canada), do needed clearances and establish life long relationships with their puppies people. I would not consider a breeder in our area who is not a member of the club.
Thanks for that. I did not know that there would be a local club. It turns out there is. There's actually a contact person for people looking for a breeder.

There's also a listing on the site for 2 puppies with impressive pedigrees that were born on Nov. 3rd. Breeders Page I'm curious as to why these dogs are still available. I may call to find out.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts