Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am looking at bringing a new fur baby home and I have been looking around the internet for a reputable breeder and it seems to be way harder to find one than I thought. Could you all provide some of the best that you know of?

I am located in Lexington, KY but do not mind traveling to pick a puppy up and I do not mind the price tag as long as they came from an amazing bloodline and were raised in an amazing environment!

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
People who use the words 'English cream' to market their dogs are not reputable breeders, and do not have dogs from 'amazing bloodlines'. Even if the words 'English Cream' aren't used, many (not all, but many) very light dogs aren't from 'amazing bloodlines' either, and are usually imported from Europe, where the health and breed standards are very different 'English cream' goldens aren't really a different thing health or temperament-wise than 'american' golden retrievers, aka golden retrievers, as many people market them to be.
I am not in the KY are and don't know breeders around there. A good first step is to reach out to your local (or state, or near you) Golden Retriever Club and see if they have a breeder referral.
In a breeder, you're looking for someone who does all of the core clearances for golden retrievers (Hips, elbows, heart done by a cardiologist, not a practitioner, and yearly eyes), and titles their dogs in some venue.

Best of luck! Hopefully someone in your area can chime in with specific recommendations.

ETA: It is also HIGHLY unlikely that you will find a dog that is currently available from a reputable breeder, let alone a puppy. COVID has created a very high demand for puppies, while breeders were pushing back their breeding plans because of a lack of accessible veterinary care. That predicament has made it so that any (good breeder) will have a months or even years long waiting list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People who use the words 'English cream' to market their dogs are not reputable breeders, and do not have dogs from 'amazing bloodlines'. Even if the words 'English Cream' aren't used, many (not all, but many) very light dogs aren't from 'amazing bloodlines' either, and are usually imported from Europe, where the health and breed standards are very different 'English cream' goldens aren't really a different thing health or temperament-wise than 'american' golden retrievers, aka golden retrievers, as many people market them to be.
I am not in the KY are and don't know breeders around there. A good first step is to reach out to your local (or state, or near you) Golden Retriever Club and see if they have a breeder referral.
In a breeder, you're looking for someone who does all of the core clearances for golden retrievers (Hips, elbows, heart done by a cardiologist, not a practitioner, and yearly eyes), and titles their dogs in some venue.

Best of luck! Hopefully someone in your area can chime in with specific recommendations.
Awesome! That is great information to know! Thank you so much! I saw Argos Golden Retrievers in Asheville, which is pretty close to me actually. Any advice about them?

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
Awesome! That is great information to know! Thank you so much! I saw Argos Golden Retrievers in Asheville, which is pretty close to me actually. Any advice about them?
Yes, actually, they look to be quite good. Health clearances check out and they're involved in showing. The studs that they're using are good as well. Usually when people say 'I want an english cream' they want one of these:
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Grass Dog breed

So I'm a bit surprised that Argos is on your radar, as they have what I'd call 'light gold' dogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, actually, they look to be quite good. Health clearances check out and they're involved in showing. The studs that they're using are good as well. Usually when people say 'I want an english cream' they want one of these:
View attachment 887149
So I'm a bit surprised that Argos is on your radar, as they have what I'd call 'light gold' dogs.
I saw Argos on a thread on this website so I checked it out. I was looking for a white/cream colored puppy.

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
Right now may not be the best time to contact Argos if you're interested in them, as they either have puppies on the ground or are getting ready for a litter. Breeders are BUSY for the first two, three, four weeks of a litter, as that is the 'danger zone' so to speak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now may not be the best time to contact Argos if you're interested in them, as they either have puppies on the ground or are getting ready for a litter. Breeders are BUSY for the first two, three, four weeks of a litter, as that is the 'danger zone' so to speak.
Got it. I am always open to other breeder options and not really in a huge hurry! Just trying to find a few options!

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
I saw Argos on a thread on this website so I checked it out. I was looking for a white/cream colored puppy.
You probably won't get a white/cream colored puppy out of those dogs. However, IMO, color shouldn't be a priority when looking for a breeder. It is so difficult to find a breeder that has all three of the main things that you should be looking for- complete health testing AND competes with their dogs AND has white/cream dogs. There are some, but they are few and far between, and you'll have a lot more luck finding a good breeder if you put color lower on the list of priorities.

Is there a specific reason that you'd like a cream dog, or just looks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You probably won't get a white/cream colored puppy out of those dogs. However, IMO, color shouldn't be a priority when looking for a breeder. It is so difficult to find a breeder that has all three of the main things that you should be looking for- complete health testing AND competes with their dogs AND has white/cream dogs. There are some, but they are few and far between, and you'll have a lot more luck finding a good breeder if you put color lower on the list of priorities.

Is there a specific reason that you'd like a cream dog, or just looks?
Just looks! I am not super picky though. I'd just prefer not golden....I am more on the light gold/cream/white side. That is fine with me! Health and bloodlines are more important!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
Already one step ahead of ya! Reached out to them about an hour ago! Thank you though haha
Good job!
That's basically all I've got for you until either someone the KY area chimes in here, someone who knows someone in the KY area chimes in, or the breeder referral people get back to you. Here's the first post in a 6 post series on one of my favorite dog blogs. This series talks about finding a breeder and getting on a breeder's list and is much more informative than I am.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I started looking, I was convinced I wanted a very light colored, "English cream" golden. The irony is that not only did I go with a breeder who does not normally breed very light colored dogs, but I ended up with the darkest boy in the litter. My tastes definitely changed in the couple of months we were in contact before my pup was born! Mostly, though, I asked her about temperament and told her what I was looking for, and as it turns out, she thought the big, dark boy was a good choice for me. I think he's a beautiful color, and I agree with what others have said here (and what my breeder said), which is look for health and temperament first; color should be the last consideration. If you're interested, you might want to check out Gemstar Goldens in Wilder, TN. I was initially looking for a pup from a breeder in CT who is the current president of the Hudson Valley GR Club, but he wasn't planning any litters until next year. When I told him I'd found Beth at Gemstar, he said he knew the breeder from previous shows and that I would be happy with any pup from her. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a tip to help you make a good impression on breeders, “English cream” will make most golden people wince. Once you get more familiar with goldens you’ll see it’s just a marketing term coined at some point by less than stellar breeders to make their dogs seem special or exclusive. I prefer light goldens myself, but you are more likely to find breeders who don’t do all the proper health testing per the GRCA if you search for ones who call their dogs English cream/creme. All that said, the Ethical “English Creme” thread that another member posted above will be a good starting point to find breeders in the U.S. with light colored goldens and/or European pedigrees. If there is a prospective pairing you’re interested in, you can post the registered names or numbers on the forum and members can look them up on the OFA website and K9 data to check out clearances and pedigrees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an aside....English pedigree, Cream color. We don't call the other American Golds or Reds. Any breeder will tell you color is a preference...you LIVE with the right personality! Any other "English Cream" is either coffee or candy. 😁
Anyone you contact you do first for health, temperament, all clearances/DNA....and bringing up the back field is color. Good luck in your search...you have placed big limitations on where you can go, basically cut your possibilities in half or better.

·
Registered
Finn
437 Posts
Any breeder will tell you color is a preference...you LIVE with the right personality!
Soooo... “American” Goldens don’t have the right personality? I’ve heard many people claim that “English cream” dogs have a more laid back temperament. Golden retrievers are a working breed. Any correctly bred dog should bring a certain intensity. Should also be friendly and not aggressive, hyperactive, or anxious, but there should be drive, energy, and an intense willingness to work. Breeding dogs that don’t have that is just breeding incorrect dogs, regardless of the country of origin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Soooo... “American” Goldens don’t have the right personality? I’ve heard many people claim that “English cream” dogs have a more laid back temperament. Golden retrievers are a working breed. Any correctly bred dog should bring a certain intensity. Should also be friendly and not aggressive, hyperactive, or anxious, but there should be drive, energy, and an intense willingness to work. Breeding dogs that don’t have that is just breeding incorrect dogs, regardless of the country of origin.
"English pedigree" dogs are as their parents and grandparents are, just as "American pedigrees"....Show lines can tend to have more "up" to them because stamina in the show ring gets them through the day. It really is all about the parents isn't it? So regardless of which pedigree you decide to go with knowing a good breeder maximizes the right match. The standard does describe the personality and as much as I loved showing...I never wanted dogs that drove me crazy during the rest of their life....a good "off" button is a blessing. I have seen both American and English pedigrees that are more up than I prefer....even in specific lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts