Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We are looking for an English Cream Golden Retriever breeder in the NYC tri-state area (NJ, NY, PA, CT, etc.). We are willing to travel up to four hours away (we are in Bergen County, NJ), so I suppose that includes parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island...you get the idea!

We are previous Cavalier King Charles Spaniel owners, and have dealt with breeders in the past, but are looking to make the switch to a Golden, thus we
need to find recommendations.

We have done some online research but it's been hit or miss. Some websites are very outdated. Some don't have any litters coming in the near future. We'd like to adopt our puppy in the next few months (spring 2019). We also would like to be able to visit the puppies and have our pick of the litter, rather than someone pick the puppy that they feel would be best for us; I just feel that's quite impersonal.

Any information, tips and recommendations for breeders would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Any particular reason why you're asking for an "English Cream"? It's likely to make your search difficult, if you're looking for a good breeder who does health clearances.

As for choosing your own puppy from the litter: Both my Goldens came from breeders who choose the puppies for their buyers - as most good breeders will do - and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you're going to choose your own puppy, you need a lot of contact with the litter: more than just a couple of visits. Why? Because, on the day you visit, the hellion of the litter might just have tired himself out enough to seem mellow, or the most laid back puppy might be having a more active than usual day. Or the litter as a whole might just have woken from a nap, or be due from a nap, and not be behaving typically. Or quite simply, you might not know what to look for. So you might not get the type of pup you think you're going to get. There are a lot of posts on this forum from (for example) people with young children who have ended up with a very mouthy puppy who bites the kids continually, or novice dog owners who have ended up with a very assertive puppy that is difficult to train. In all cases without exception, these are people who chose their own puppy from the litter. A good breeder knows his or her pups and will choose the one that is the best fit for your lifestyle. Far from being impersonal, it's the most personal approach possible: you'll be getting the puppy from the litter that is the nearest match for the type of dog you want. Both of my dogs have been exactly what I've wanted, because the breeders did the choosing.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
To expand a little on the previous reply, looking for an "English Cream" breeder of Goldens will likely never lead you to a quality breeder (it's like finding the 4 leaf clover or a unicorn). Any breeder listing or marketing their pups/litters as "English Cream" is breeding for color and that means breeding for profit only. A really good reputable breeder will not use the term "English Cream" anywhere. You may want that white it whiteish color, but move in if they are listed with color on their site.

What you're really looking for are just English lines or show lines and look for a breeder with very light colored dogs. Field lines are usually very dark to a reddish coloring, show lines and breeders that talk about English lines without taking about color. Once you find a breeder you're interested in that's when you start digging into clearances. It will likely be time consuming, not a couple nights on the internet but OFA scouring and phone calls to the breeders and more OFA searching.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Honestly with your criteria of color and picking your puppy, you would be very changed to find that in a responsible breeder anywhere in the country. If those two things are the most important just keep looking they are out there, tons of them.

If responsible breeders that put health and quality first are more important, then reach out to your local Golden Retriever club and/or visit a local show.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
As for choosing your own puppy from the litter: Both my Goldens came from breeders who choose the puppies for their buyers - as most good breeders will do - and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you're going to choose your own puppy, you need a lot of contact with the litter: more than just a couple of visits. Why? Because, on the day you visit, the hellion of the litter might just have tired himself out enough to seem mellow, or the most laid back puppy might be having a more active than usual day. Or the litter as a whole might just have woken from a nap, or be due from a nap, and not be behaving typically. Or quite simply, you might not know what to look for. So you might not get the type of pup you think you're going to get. There are a lot of posts on this forum from (for example) people with young children who have ended up with a very mouthy puppy who bites the kids continually, or novice dog owners who have ended up with a very assertive puppy that is difficult to train. In all cases without exception, these are people who chose their own puppy from the litter. A good breeder knows his or her pups and will choose the one that is the best fit for your lifestyle. Far from being impersonal, it's the most personal approach possible: you'll be getting the puppy from the litter that is the nearest match for the type of dog you want. Both of my dogs have been exactly what I've wanted, because the breeders did the choosing.

^^ This. 100%.

My breeder knew exactly what I wanted in my pup, and she chose the perfect puppy for me. She was (is) 1000 km away from me, so I didn't even meet my puppy til the day I flew to pick her up. But she was my puppy from the minute I walked in. She was everything I wanted, and as a bonus, was also a total cuddler, which I didn't even know existed, as my previous Golden had been a very independent, non-snuggly girl. My breeder knew what I wanted in terms of energy and personality and trainability. She knew the litter best, she had had them temperament tested by a very, very experienced Golden person, and then matched each pup with the right family. Breeders have insight that a new owner could never have about the pups.

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
Yes. This x1000. I'm not a breeder who sells puppies but after raising two litters of puppies for the first 8 weeks for a service dog organization I can tell you this is 100% accurate. When I have guests over to visit the puppies, I always know which ones to tire out either a lot or a little in preparation for visitors because I know which ones are lower energy and which ones are higher energy. My visitors would rarely be able to guess because when they arrive the puppies have mellowed out based on my preparation. I can also schedule visits at a time of day when I know the puppies are most apt to be in chill mode. I'm holding and/or socializing these puppies every day from Day One so I quickly see and learn the personalities in a way that nobody can during a puppy visit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts