Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I didn’t even know dog auctions existed.
I also never knew auctions existed. This is horrible. It makes me sick to my stomach. Is this widespread? Or is it only in certain states? I don’t think it’s legal here, (California). I know that we were the first state to ban retail sales of dogs, cats and rabbits. I can’t even process this...:(

·
goldenfan
670 Posts
Thanks for that information. As you say. nightmare for the breeder and stud dog owner. I put in my contract that I will lift the restrictions provided the hips eyes and elbows are tested and within certain parameters, because that way if they decide to breed at least the dog is healthy and hopefully with my help they will select an appropriate dog to use. Annef

·
Puddles
3,341 Posts
There are a couple of thriving auction houses in Missouri... puppy mill capital, they have sales monthly. Sadly many rescue groups are getting dogs from these places. I'm not sure why they aren't shut down! I went to horse auctions decades ago but couldn't stand the idea that the horses that didn't sell were sent to slaughter houses. This practice is no longer legal so wonder why the dog auctions are still allowed... same practice, different species. Pet stores are only part of the problem. You don't have to go to China to find dogs in need. There are plenty of wonderful dogs in our own country that need your help!!

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Puddles
3,341 Posts
It's really sad... in Turkey they over breed goldens then just dumped them. Now people are importing these dogs at great expense. Don't get me wrong, every dog deserves better than this.
Sadly people in this country are to greedy they don't just dump the excess puppies, they auction them. Same problem.

My hope is these well meaning people will realize there are a ton of wonderful although yes, puppy mill, dogs right here in the USA that need homes.
I've always felt you need to clean up your own house before trying to judge and clean up someone else's mess. I don't have to agree with the practices of other countries but certainly can try and help the problems in our own backyard.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
There are a couple of thriving auction houses in Missouri... puppy mill capital, they have sales monthly. Sadly many rescue groups are getting dogs from these places. I'm not sure why they aren't shut down! I went to horse auctions decades ago but couldn't stand the idea that the horses that didn't sell were sent to slaughter houses. This practice is no longer legal so wonder why the dog auctions are still allowed... same practice, different species. Pet stores are only part of the problem. You don't have to go to China to find dogs in need. There are plenty of wonderful dogs in our own country that need your help!!
going way off topic here- but to my mind, if horses will be slaughtered- and they will-we should allow slaughter houses HERE in the US so the poor things are not spending weeks travelling from say FL (where you find a lot of kill lots) to MExico where they are put to their death. Those days or weeks cannot be good for the poor horse. I would rather go back to having it here and not put them through all that misery.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts