Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for new ideas for both physical and mental stimulation for my almost 7 month old puppy. I have had 2 goldens before her who although each unique in their own ways, were both very calm and mellow. Aspen, has more energy than I know what to do with. I know this is part of the breed and am looking for some new ideas to keep her busy throughout the day.

Typically her day begins around 6:30-7:00 AM. She will go outside and run around and play with our other dog while I get work done for 2-3 hrs, as long as weather permits. Then it is either time for a walk or playing ball (we have about an acre of fenced in yard so she is off leash when outside except for walks). Then I usually crate her for 1-2 hrs for a nap/time for me to work. Then we do whatever we didn't do before with the walk/ball. Followed by some more play time with her sister. Depending on temperatures we will also fit in a trip to the lake for swimming. Late afternoon/evening is usually 30-60 minutes of crate time so I can eat, and then play time inside with usually her toy of choice, a ball. Later in the evening when I try to get her to wind down I put together some puzzles for her and/or treat balls and some training.
However she still is running all over until about 11 when I make her go to bed.
There is variation to this depending on the day.
The only thing that i have found really makes her tired is going into town to meet a lot of people. But I don't live super close to town and this is not feasible all the time.

I have done frozen kongs, frozen fruit in ice, etc as well as going to the local dog park, although again this doesn't happen often as I live farther away. I am open to any ideas or new suggestions to wear her out as I have never had such a high energy dog.

Also to add on to this, she stays in our basement, which before anyone comments is fully finished, because she is just a bit too naughty to be trusted upstairs. Either myself or my husband will spend our time down there with her when awake so she is not by herself unless crated. She spends the majority of her time running up and down the stairs to the baby gate at the top of the steps trying to break free. This is still a work in progress as far as her training as she really is determined to have freedom. The up and down the stairs does also not tire her out. If anything it seems to energize her more.

I have been looking at teaching her agility but will admit have not done too much research yet.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Such a cutie! maybe increase the number of short training sessions throughout the day? I love giving my dogs long lasting chews as well to keep them occupied, bullysticks, large cow ears etc. Mine always seem tired after an intense chew session.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree, more trick training will tire her brain out and its really fun. Tiring her brain out is I think more important for you that tiring her body out. She might also need more enforced down time to stop her getting over tired and over energised.
Also running up and down the stairs at her age is going to do damage to her joints so you'll need to find a way to stop her doing that, maybe block off the bottom of the stairs? :) good luck!

·
Kristy
10,750 Posts
She sounds like a busy girl and you all have adapted well. All I can say is that you didn't mention (or I missed it) how often you make time (it should be every day, two sessions of 15 mins each approx) where you are working with her on obedience, also where you are teaching her new things that might require some self restraint. There is a great youtube video group by a trainer Kikopup who does a nice job showing how she works with teaching different things like "place". It sounds like your dog could benefit from having to use her brain. You might also try to look at training her for a formal retrieve, where she sits at heel, waits while you throw a special retrieving bumper and then waits till you release her and runs to get it and returns to heel, sits and lets you take it. Putting all the pieces of this together take time but it sounds like she needs the challenge.

I am guessing that if you live too far out to make going into town every few days an option, you don't live close to a dog training club. However, if you reach out to local clubs, whether retrievers or obedience or agility etc. or regional Golden Club, you might be surprised to find that there is someone who trains dogs who doesn't live very far and they might help you work with her, maybe a 6 week class where they help you learn foundation skills for agility etc. or higher level obedience and then you practice it at home. Whatever you decide, look at it as a commitment for the next year or two to making her easier to live with and to building a strong relationship with her. You might also meet some interesting people and have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One fun game you could try is "find it." We make our puppy sit and stay in one room, then go hide his favorite toy in another room and tell him to "find it." Start by having her watch you hide the toy, then make it progressively harder and farther away in the house or yard. You could also do this with her meals.

Have you tried dock diving or retrieving in the water? It sounds like your pup likes to swim. Ours LOVES the water and we are fortunate enough to live near a dock diving facility so we gave that a try. Turns out nothing wears out our pup quite like it! If you don't live near a dock diving facility, you might be able to find some online instruction.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am looking for new ideas for both physical and mental stimulation for my almost 7 month old puppy. I have had 2 goldens before her who although each unique in their own ways, were both very calm and mellow. Aspen, has more energy than I know what to do with. I know this is part of the breed and am looking for some new ideas to keep her busy throughout the day.

Typically her day begins around 6:30-7:00 AM. She will go outside and run around and play with our other dog while I get work done for 2-3 hrs, as long as weather permits. Then it is either time for a walk or playing ball (we have about an acre of fenced in yard so she is off leash when outside except for walks). Then I usually crate her for 1-2 hrs for a nap/time for me to work. Then we do whatever we didn't do before with the walk/ball. Followed by some more play time with her sister. Depending on temperatures we will also fit in a trip to the lake for swimming. Late afternoon/evening is usually 30-60 minutes of crate time so I can eat, and then play time inside with usually her toy of choice, a ball. Later in the evening when I try to get her to wind down I put together some puzzles for her and/or treat balls and some training.
However she still is running all over until about 11 when I make her go to bed.
There is variation to this depending on the day.
The only thing that i have found really makes her tired is going into town to meet a lot of people. But I don't live super close to town and this is not feasible all the time.

I have done frozen kongs, frozen fruit in ice, etc as well as going to the local dog park, although again this doesn't happen often as I live farther away. I am open to any ideas or new suggestions to wear her out as I have never had such a high energy dog.

Also to add on to this, she stays in our basement, which before anyone comments is fully finished, because she is just a bit too naughty to be trusted upstairs. Either myself or my husband will spend our time down there with her when awake so she is not by herself unless crated. She spends the majority of her time running up and down the stairs to the baby gate at the top of the steps trying to break free. This is still a work in progress as far as her training as she really is determined to have freedom. The up and down the stairs does also not tire her out. If anything it seems to energize her more.

I have been looking at teaching her agility but will admit have not done too much research yet. View attachment 893402
Hide and seek with/without a ball or treat, find the treat under 1of 3 Solo cups, curl up in a blanket on the floor and allow her to figure out how to get to you...car rides meet new people/places new experiences i.e 4th of July Parades....good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts