Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 12 week old retriever who keeps sitting when taking for a walk, I try lure her with treats and sticks to try make it fun but the second I stop she sits tight again馃檮. She is energetic and full of fun in the house and around the 1acre property she has a collar and tried her with a harness which she doesn't physically seem to mind to much, the first 3 or 4 walks were about 15 minutes and went very well but obviously something has changed! Any advice is much appreciated

Kristy
Welcome! We need puppy photos and her name :) I'm sure she's much to cute to be as difficult as you say ;)

If it's warmer than normal where you are, that probably has a lot to do with it. When temperatures start dipping down in the mornings in another month or two, you will have a wild puppy on your hands but until then she probably doesn't want to be out as much. What you describe is perfectly normal during summer. Don't bother with long walks unless it's very early or very late in the evening when the sun is low.

Try finding a place to get her out in nature to swim or play in water. If that's not available, purchase a children's small plastic wading pool and fill it with water and play with that, blow bubbles for her. Start working on teaching her to retrieve (in small doses - always end the game before she gets bored - have a special toy that you only use for the retrieving game and then put it away afterward) Come up with ideas on how to teach her new skills - the ones I suggest are found on kikopup on youtube - "attention" or "watch me" and "place" or go to bed, "Leave it" for puppies and a hand touch. You can tire her out mentally with games working in 5 minute increments - she has a short attention span right now, it will grow. Make sure she has appropriate chew items like a kong that you stuff with some plain yogurt and canned green beans or banana and peanutbutter or broth and freeze it. That will occupy her for a good bit. You can also buy a toy called a "Pickle Pocket" on Amazon and stuff it with her kibble to keep her busy.

Do things to use her prey drive like kick a soccer ball or invite a friend with a nice young dog over to have a puppy play date (just be sure the nice young dog likes puppies and is playful) in the meantime use this time to train obedience with her and keep doing things to make walks fun like feed her treats on the walk and run around with her and take a squeak toy to get her moving when she stalls. I promise she will be spunky as can be when fall rolls around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all the info, it's very helpful and informative!, I am actually in ireland so temperatures wont be to extreme 馃榿....meet Daisy

Attachments

Kristy
Daisy is adorable and I love Ireland :) My college roommate married a wonderful Irishman and I spent a week visiting one spring when I was younger. They live in Dublin and toured me across the country, so beautiful and fun.

Keep spending all your free time working with your girl, the more time you invest training her and bonding with her, the bigger the payoff in the long run. Hope you'll keep us posted on her progress :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts