Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried a new food for Miles and it didn't work out well. He developed allergies. I caught him vigorously licking his paws. I quickly switched his food. But he is still licking his paws. How long should this last? Is there something else I can do?

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
I met one golden owner the other day on a hiking trail and she said her dog requires periodic shots for allergies. Hopefully that won't be needed but your vet may need to evaluate your dog.

331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Miles has never had any other allergies. That's why I figured it was the food. It's also the only thing that has changed recently.
However we have been having some serious Pollen the last few weeks, could that be a factor too?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
If its a new symptom its hard to say. Lucky gets itchy paws when the weather is wet or humid. Hasn't happened yet this spring...but I'm expecting a couple of episodes before summer hits.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Sometimes the licking itself makes the irritation last. You might see if your vet has something to bring the inflamation down. I sometimes give Lucky a couple of days worth of Prednizone.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Does the new food have a new protein source? Believe it or not, many goldens are allergic to chicken (!), so I wouldn't discount the licking being from an intolerance to something in the food.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Tip from Acupuncture Vet

This won't stop allergens but our acupuncture vet suggested we keep baby wipes by the front door and we wipe our pups coats and paws down after walks, especially when the pollens are going crazy outside (like right now). In addition to reducing pollens on their coat and paws, they smell nicer (except we use unscented due to my fragrance allergy) and you get other yukky stuff off the paws that might be tracked through the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts