Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little boy Moose has gone through an ordeal since bringing him home to say the least. It's hard to tell as he was so young and I know puppies pee frequently regardless but I assume he had a UTI since the day I brought him home. Seeing small blood clots coming out in his urine was how I detected something was wrong and immediately brought him to the animal hospital ER, they detected struvite crystals in his urine and was a positive for UTI. The doctor prescribed 10 days of amoxicillin which cleared it up on the 2nd day of taking them, after finishing though he was back to having blood clots in his urine and peeing every 5-10 minutes just after 2-3 days of finishing the antibiotics. It took alot of calling around but finally found a vet that was able to take Moose in as a client (not sure if client is the correct term), they took a urine sample and then prescribed clavacillin, except this time it was for 14 days... same exact thing happened as the first 10 day course of antibiotics, he started urinating frequently and had blood clots in his urine. The vet then did a urine culture to find out whether or not the clavacillin was an antibiotic that was able to kill off the UTI bacteria. The results came back and the vet determined that it was, she ended up prescribing Moose clavacillin again except this time for 6-8 weeks. Every 2 weeks I weigh Moose and the vet prescribed the correct dosage based on weight. This coming Friday it will be 6 weeks since he started this 3rd round of antibiotics and I really hope this **** UTI is done and over with for good, I hate having my pup on antibiotics because I know it weakens his immune system and depletes him of vitamins/nutrients (he has had no negative side effects at all though).

I just want to get some input as to how I should handle this last phase of antibiotics as the vet said 6-8 weeks. I want Moose off antibiotics as soon as possible, but I also don't want to take him off them too soon and have the UTI still be lingering ready to come back with a vengeance as soon as he stops taking them like it's happened the previous 2 times. Being that he's been taking the clavacillin 4 weeks longer than before I would sure hope the UTI is completely defeated. Do Moose need to wait a few days after being off the antibiotics in order to do a proper urine culture that can tell whether or not the UTI is gone or not? If so do you think I should choose to have him on the antibiotics for another 2 weeks just to be sure, or be done with them this friday which marks 6 full weeks of taking them and hope he'll be good? I would think 6 weeks would be more than enough time to clear up a UTI, of course I also thought for sure that the first two 10-day and 14-day rounds of antibiotics had completely killed off the UTI only to give me a big surprise when it came back only 2-3 days after getting off the antibiotics. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: Moose is 5.5 months old in case that’s helpful for anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in case anyone was wondering I decided 6 weeks was as long as I wanted to keep Moose on antibiotics so his last dose was 4 days ago Friday morning. I called the vet to see when I should bring a urine sample in to get a urinalysis done and the receptionist told me best to wait until next Monday. I didn’t think it would take that long for antibiotics to be completely out of his system but maybe they just want to make 100% sure the test isn’t skewed at all and doesn’t give a clear UTI result when in fact there could possibility still be one. We shall see Monday!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,161 Posts
I hope this takes care of it for sweet Moose. If not, I would wonder if there's something structural that keeps it from clearing up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering I decided 6 weeks was as long as I wanted to keep Moose on antibiotics so his last dose was 4 days ago Friday morning. I called the vet to see when I should bring a urine sample in to get a urinalysis done and the receptionist told me best to wait until next Monday. I didn’t think it would take that long for antibiotics to be completely out of his system but maybe they just want to make 100% sure the test isn’t skewed at all and doesn’t give a clear UTI result when in fact there could possibility still be one. We shall see Monday!
I think the idea behind the delay is to give any bacteria time to grow once the antibiotics are out of his system. If he's still "clear" a week after the antibiotics, that's great. If not, you should get a clear indication of that a week out from the antibiotics.

Is the vet getting a sample via cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample)? If not, they should be... it's really the only way to be sure what type of bacteria they're dealing with.

My guess is you'll be good to go, especially with a healthy young male. My first dog, Molly, started with UTIs when she was about 7 and we battled them off and on the rest of her life. We kept her on a cranberry supplement (which did help), and regularly tested the pH of her urine (which would give us an early indication that something might be going south), but toward the end of her life she was going 6 weeks on antibiotics, 4 weeks off, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off (yes, it sucked). But... I believe that is really unusual...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the idea behind the delay is to give any bacteria time to grow once the antibiotics are out of his system. If he's still "clear" a week after the antibiotics, that's great. If not, you should get a clear indication of that a week out from the antibiotics.

Is the vet getting a sample via cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample)? If not, they should be... it's really the only way to be sure what type of bacteria they're dealing with.

My guess is you'll be good to go, especially with a healthy young male. My first dog, Molly, started with UTIs when she was about 7 and we battled them off and on the rest of her life. We kept her on a cranberry supplement (which did help), and regularly tested the pH of her urine (which would give us an early indication that something might be going south), but toward the end of her life she was going 6 weeks on antibiotics, 4 weeks off, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off (yes, it sucked). But... I believe that is really unusual...
When the vet prescribed the 14-day round of antibiotics she just did a urinalysis from freefall urine I took from Moose as he was peeing. Before I started the 6-week course the vet had a urine culture sent out which took 3 or 4 days to get results for them to confirm they were giving him the correct kind of antibiotic, the culture was also done from urine I had gotten as Moose was peeing.

It's now been 5.5 days since Moose's last antibiotic pill and knock on wood I have seen no signs of a UTI being present still. After every course of antibiotics Moose finished before it was 2 or 3 days after he finished that he would be back to full-blown UTI symptoms so it is looking good thus far... I'm not celebrating until he has his urinalysis and we know for sure that dreaded UTI has been terminated though!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Fingers crossed you’ve beaten it! BUT, if it comes back and if both of the tests were based on a catch instead of a cysto, I would definitely request a cysto next time. The process creeps me out but it’s really the only way to be sure that the bacteria they culture is from the bladder and not the environment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I hope this takes care of it for sweet Moose. If not, I would wonder if there's something structural that keeps it from clearing up.
Someone else said this to me in a reply to my FB post in a golden retriever group and said the same thing about how it could be a structural issue with the GU. I didn't think much of it or bothered to ask if they could explain more what they mean. Could you expand on what exactly a structural issue is / could potentially be? You and the other person didn't say it like it could be too serious of an issue but just hearing "structural" makes me think it could vary in degree of seriousness from very minor to possibly life threatening, is that correct? I hope the chances of it being too serious is extremely low if that is the case :(


Edit: this is what the other person chimed in and said exactly in case you're interested
With such a young dog, there's a possibility that there's a structural problem in the GU system. This happened with a friend's female dog. Nobody accurately diagnosed it for a long time. You're vet sounds like they're doing the absolute right things. But I would think next step, if this doesn't work is a specialist.
I'm not even sure what the "GU sytem" is, google doesn't help me much either... could it be in association to potential renal dysplasia??


Fingers crossed you’ve beaten it! BUT, if it comes back and if both of the tests were based on a catch instead of a cysto, I would definitely request a cysto next time. The process creeps me out but it’s really the only way to be sure that the bacteria they culture is from the bladder and not the environment.
Hopefully it won't be necessary but I will definitely follow your advice, appreciate the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,161 Posts
Someone else said this to me in a reply to my FB post in a golden retriever group and said the same thing about how it could be a structural issue with the GU. I didn't think much of it or bothered to ask if they could explain more what they mean. Could you expand on what exactly a structural issue is / could potentially be? You and the other person didn't say it like it could be too serious of an issue but just hearing "structural" makes me think it could vary in degree of seriousness from very minor to possibly life threatening, is that correct? I hope the chances of it being too serious is extremely low if that is the case :(


Edit: this is what the other person chimed in and said exactly in case you're interested
I'm not even sure what the "GU sytem" is, google doesn't help me much either...
QUOTE]
I really don't know much about it. It was just a thought because a recurring UTI seems unusual in a young male. Maybe the Facebook poster meant gastrointestinal??? It sounds like maybe he just needed more antibiotics. Hopefully he will be fine now and you can quit worrying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Sorry you are dealing with this. Our girl had UTIs for months as a puppy and we were probably at the vet every week. It is so frustrating, especially seeing the puppy in pain and the wrench it throws into house training. As mentioned above, they need to do a cystocentesis (needle in the bladder) to get an uncontaminated sample of urine to test for cultures and sensitivity. Otherwise the bacteria growing from the urine could be from the fur or skin. Also, a long uninterrupted course of antibiotics is key. 6-8 weeks does not sound too long at all for a deep seated infection. We gave probiotics during this time. We also gave cranberry supplements made for dogs.

GU = Genitourinary system. We had to do an ultrasound to rule out congenital abnormalities like ectopic ureter.

I hope that Moose is fine and well now. However if the infection does come back you might want to ask about antibiotics that penetrate the prostate gland.. I think for males sometimes the infection can seed the prostate gland and make it harder to eradicate. No personal experience with that, just something I have read in the past.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top