Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
421 - 440 of 467 Posts

·
Super Moderator
780 Posts
He was embarked in like 2018, DM negative. He’s clear of any genetic diseases. Unsure if it could still be possible (is there a non-genetic version of DM?) though
Poor Kaiser :(

Just adding this here for completeness. Originally it was thought that DM is caused only by the SOD1 gene but now it looks like other genes beside SOD1 (the gene tested) may be at play. There have been cases where a non-affected dog (per genetic testing) does develop DM. Hence, a dog with two normal copies of SOD1 are typically labeled “normal” as opposed to “clear” by genetic labs.

From Paw Print:
“One troubling finding for some is that a small portion of DM affected dogs will not have the common SOD1 mutation or only possess a single copy of the mutation when tested. The most likely explanation for this phenomenon is that there are other, unknown genetic mutations that are also responsible for causing this disease.”

From Embark:
“Please note that this mutation is reported to have incomplete penetrance: that is, while a dog with two copies of this mutation has a much greater chance of developing DM than a dog with one or zero copies of the mutation, other genetic and environmental factors contribute to the development of the disease.”

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
He was embarked in like 2018, DM negative. He’s clear of any genetic diseases. Unsure if it could still be possible (is there a non-genetic version of DM?) though

It was a sad day in Kaizerland today
View attachment 896095
Poor boy, such a sad face. sending hugs.

·
Super Moderator
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
It’s hard to believe I started this thread exactly 51 weeks ago.

I let Kaizer go today. He couldn’t really stand, couldn’t walk, and worst of all, refused to eat anything.

We laid together in my car for an hour yesterday and I told him that he had to let me know when he was ready because I would keep trying. I told him he had to do something big and dramatic, like refuse to eat, to let me know.

He did as I asked, a good boy until the very end.

Kalm Sea’s Penguin March “Kaizer”
06/04/2015 - 09/07/2022

Dog Wheel Tire Dog breed Road surface

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've been following this thread from the start. I am so sorry to hear about Kaiser. He always seemed like such a sweet fella no matter what he had going on. He had a happy smile that just can't be beat. You went far above and beyond for him and I know he loved you like you loved him.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Oh Asha, my eyes are welling at work reading this. I am so sorry. You did right by him by listening to him when he told you he was ready. It's a selfless decision to let your boy rest. He'll be with you in spirit forever, and is now free of any pain. Such a wonderful, boy! March on, Kaizer!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Oh Asha, I am so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. Take comfort in knowing you did everything you could. I still miss Duke, but they do tell us when they're ready. Kaiser had a wonderful life because of you and all you did with him and for him. ((((Hugs))))

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
Asha, I'm so very sorry. You did everything you could for your precious boy and have handled all the ups and downs with such maturity well beyond your years, I know that I would not have been as strong as you.

Kaizer knew how much he was loved and cared for and I hope you'll be gentle on yourself, knowing you did absolutely everything you could for him.

I'm sending you hugs across the pond and to your family also. Run free at The Rainbow Bridge lovely Kaizer x

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, Kaizer was a very special boy. He was part of our GRF family, loved by many and he will be missed. Sending special prayers and hugs to you during this time of grief. xoxoxo Debbie

·
Super Moderator
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
Thank you all, it means so much to me that Kaizer was so loved by so many people. He was the love of my life.

I still firmly believe it was the right decision, but I miss him so much already. I keep looking in his usual laying spots expecting him to be there, and it sucks that he’s not. I can’t believe I won’t have any more updates or pictures to share. This is the worst

421 - 440 of 467 Posts