Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sara (7 years old) is typically very good at not eating food off my plate.
I came home after a long day at work around 8:30 pm, and decided to have dinner using the coffee table in front of the TV.

After I was done, I got up to go to the kitchen.
My girlfriend followed.
Then, I hear "OH MY GOD, SHE ATE IT WHOLE!"

Guess what my dear Sara ate?

An ENTIRE grilled chicken thigh. Bone and all.
I think she figures if I quickly swallow this thing, they can't pry open my mouth and remove it.
Well, she swallowed a whole chicken thigh in seconds.

Off to the vet, and $125 (USD) and 2 hours later, out came the grilled chicken as one big lump.

ARGH! I can't believe how much the emergency vet was. Plus, I can't believe my dog swallowed the entire piece of chicken, bone included! I would not have thought that was physically possible!

Mikhal
 

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
Joined
·
8,017 Posts
Glad your dog is OK. They can be really quick when they want to be. $125 for a trip to the emergency vet is dirt cheap around here. Last time I was there, it was $90 just to see the vet. Any treatment or diagnostics was on top of that. I just spent $300 on a visit to my regular vet, x-rays and meds.
 

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
Joined
·
37,489 Posts
Glad to hear she is OK. My Caue swallowed a 1/2 corn cob whole out of the trash. :doh: It passed through intact a couple of days later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,934 Posts
Wow! I wish our ER vet only charged $125! We paid around $250 when we had to take our GSD there a year ago.

I'm glad she's okay.
 

·
Daisy - my heart
Joined
·
12,575 Posts
Sara knows sometimes you gotta be quick!

Glad she's okay :)

Daisy swallowed a country rib bone whole once. It was about ... hmmm, 4 inches long, 3 inches wide. Maybe less long, I don't know, but it was too big to comprehend her swallowing it whole! You know what? I never saw it again :p:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
Bennett's last ER visit was 4 hours ad 1,500 dollars. Lab, X-ray, IV and a blood transfusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
Sara you crazy girl, stop scarying your family so much and eating things that dont belong to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I'm glad she is okay!

Last weekend Teddy swallowed his bully stick whole (3 inches he had softened...the other 3 was still hard) and had to go to the emergency vet. We were there waiting for over 4 hours just to have them tell us that it wasn't safe for them to have him vomit it back up because it could damage his esophagus. It was pretty much a waste of $100, but definitely better to be safe than sorry. They told us that by Wednesday (tomorrow) he should be in the clear and have digested it properly. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
They are very quick, glad Sara is ok.

Chewie ate my pager a few month back and it came out just fine, he was being paged (beeping) up until 11 pm but passed it the next day.:doh:

They just have to worry us to death!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Didn't need a vet visit obviously....but I think this shows how speedy a Golden can be... Went to my brother-in-laws, just saying hello in the kitchen...within 30secs of being there Brodie had got up on the unit and scoffed a defrosting chicken breast whole! lol I don't think it touched the sides as it went down!! That's one way not to get invited back!! Goldens and their stomach....tch!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Glad your dog is ok :)

I have similar story but without bone involved. One night after I prepared her food and fed her, I put my own food on the coffee table, sat on the floor and lean back against the coffee table and eat while i watch tv. There was a bowl of ground beef on the table, and when I was about to have another serving of them, I found her licking my plate eating the meat fast. It was funny to see her do that but I was aware the danger it might inflict if its bony food, so I never put food on the coffee table unattended anymore. :p:
 

·
MEG
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
Glad to hear he is ok. I have one question. How did they retrieve it? Was it surgery?
 

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
Joined
·
256 Posts
Glad to hear she made it ok. That"s pretty cheap for an off hours visit. Had Riley to the Atlantic Vet College yesterday to have his eye checked, there it's 89.00 just for and office visit plus whatever they do. They can be very quick. Here's a story with a not so good ending. My wife's friend on the west coast had a son who was selling the chocolate bars for his Cub's pack. He did not put the box of bars away one night and their golden got into them through the night. He passed away the next morning. I think she said his kidneys or his liver shut down. Very sad. It goes to show it's the most harmless seeming things that can be the most dangerous.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,438 Posts
Oh ,but she just couldnt help herself. She'd do it all over again right now just for that blissful moment of wolfing down a chicken thigh bones and all!
 

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
I'm glad Sara is alright. Bailey does this too, but so far with only mice. One gulp and it's gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,278 Posts
Glad she is ok now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,005 Posts
Glad it all worked out!

I will say, $125 is cheap compared to here.

The visit fee alone would be around $125 here.

Last year when Dakota got into a bag of dog chow and ate about 12 pounds of it, his overnight stay at the Vet was $2100.

The IV fluids alone were somewhere around $130 per unit.

We got our revenge though. Apparently he had really REALLY bad gas and cleared the back ER room more than once LOL

Sara (7 years old) is typically very good at not eating food off my plate.
I came home after a long day at work around 8:30 pm, and decided to have dinner using the coffee table in front of the TV.

After I was done, I got up to go to the kitchen.
My girlfriend followed.
Then, I hear "OH MY GOD, SHE ATE IT WHOLE!"

Guess what my dear Sara ate?

An ENTIRE grilled chicken thigh. Bone and all.
I think she figures if I quickly swallow this thing, they can't pry open my mouth and remove it.
Well, she swallowed a whole chicken thigh in seconds.

Off to the vet, and $125 (USD) and 2 hours later, out came the grilled chicken as one big lump.

ARGH! I can't believe how much the emergency vet was. Plus, I can't believe my dog swallowed the entire piece of chicken, bone included! I would not have thought that was physically possible!

Mikhal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
I'm glad the chicken came back up and no harm done. I know it wouldn't last 3 seconds around here.
Somebody would eat it or at least lick it to death.

Copper ate an entire adult squirrel last spring. My DH was in charge and I didn't realize for a week that he meant Copper jsut ate the whole thing while DH was trying to pull it out of his mouth. He's part Boa constrictor I reckon.:doh:

$125 for a late hour ER visit doesn't sound bad. The price goes up here as the night gets later. My idiotic change of food last month ended up giving Copper pancreatitis to the tune of $1750 for 3 days and 3 nights and more importantly a lot of pain for him. :( At least there is somewhere I can take them late night or weekends.:)

I actually figured I got off cheap. I even had to give away the rest of the Purina One Lamb and Rice dog food since he can't have lamb any more. No more changing food for me!:no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Opps, I didn't say how it came back up... The vet induced vommiting on Sara.
the story about chocolate is very sad.

Gotta becareful with these greedy animals!

Mikhal
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top