Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We’ve gotten Embrace Pet Insurance for our puppy Leo (5 months). Like many insurers, there are some waiting periods for various conditions. Specifically, there is a 6 month waiting period before coverage starts for any orthopedic issues such as hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, etc... However, this waiting period can be reduced to 2 weeks, if you have your vet examine your dog for any issues. This is not an X-ray type exam, but rather a manual exam to feel for normal range of motion, etc.

Has anyone had this done? I’m trying to weigh the pros of a reduced waiting period with the cons of “what if the vet says there is a concern and then we have no coverage?”. Leo’s parents both had all four of their major health clearances, as well as genetic testing for a number of other issues. I have no reason to be concerned about him having any orthopedic issues, other than that goldens are generally susceptible to them. But I just keep thinking that I would hate to find an issue during that exam and then have no recourse to insurance for the rest of his life, especially for what would amount to a five month difference in a waiting period.

have any of you had To decide whether to do this? TIA!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I did it with Bear and CeeCee but not with Lana and Molly. The time flew and I felt more confident in the risk factors for Lana and now Molly. When we did Bear and CeeCee it was on the heels of having a bilateral knee repair so my paranoia was strong. :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I did it with Col when I switched her from another insurance to Embrace. She was all grown by then and I had her OFA hips and elbows reports.

I did it with Ivy (not a Golden) when I got her at about 11 weeks old. Our vet was a bit surprised by the request to do this on such a young pup but it got done and accepted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts