Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dearest puppy has been to the vet for eating azaleas and now we are going today because I found that he snacked on charcoal! I've been crying all morning waiting on the vet's office to open. :doh:

Any help from experience in deterring him from eating everything in sight? He gets 3 cups of Diamond Puppy every day and 2 tablespoons of plain non-fat yogurt. We also just started Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil about a week ago--2 pumps twice daily. Is there something he's not getting in his diet that makes him crave everything?

He's almost 14 weeks old and I could just eat him with a spoon he's so precious! Will keep posted on what te vet says. Between shots and eating inedible things I feel like we are there every week!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
The best deterrent is prevention :) Puppies are like small children-they can and will get into everything! And just like toddlers, everything goes into their mouth. If they can get it, chew it and swallow it, they will. If he is teething, you can make sure to have plenty of good stuff around for him to chew-frozen Kongs, frozen water bottles, antlers, stuff he can get his teeth into and yes, unfortunately, sometimes destroy :)

It does get better with age, but my 14 month old has destroyed several dog houses and the flooring in my kennel area :( She is a chewer, and ignores the nylabones, antlers, yarn tugs, etc in favor of wood. I'm waiting for her to stop chewing so much!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Teach a very reliable 'leave it' command. Beamer is 15 weeks and we are still working on ours, but he knows what it means (most of the time). Is he outside supervised all the time?

Reactions: Karen519

·
Kristy
10,346 Posts
The best deterrent is prevention :) Puppies are like small children-they can and will get into everything! And just like toddlers, everything goes into their mouth.
I have to second this. As hard as it is, your puppy isn't ready to be allowed to play unsupervised and that includes the back yard. Just like you would never let a two year old play outside without keeping a close eye on him, it's going to be a while until your puppy can play alone outside. Especially since he's show you he has a taste for shrubbery!

My parents' lab is 10 and still tries to eat my camelias and tear the tomatoes off the plants if we don't keep an eye on her. I guess the tomatoes must look like tennis balls :)

Please let us know that everything turned out ok at the vet. Hopefully not too much was acctually ingested. :crossfing

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Your puppy

Can't wait until you update us after the vet.

Your puppy needs to be crated if you cannot watch him every single second-puppies are perpetual 2 year olds and they will eat anything,put anything in their mouth and swallow anything. Our dogs are 2 years old and 3 years old and will still do this if given the chance. We keep our garbage behind closed doors, there is nothing in any of our bathroom wastebaskes, and our hamper has a lid on it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
As others have said, keep constant watch =p.

If there is something he's particularly drawn to...you just need to make sure he can't reach that...Teddy's big tempt was socks. We couldn't leave them out where he could get them till his last days. If there were socks on the ground, you'd be sure they'd be gone and either have huge holes in them, or gone completely (yuck!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take him to the vet, but don't freak out too much about charcoal. Unless there are instant light additives or lighter fluid on it, it's probably not bad for him. Powdered charcoal is actualy used to neutralize some poisons when injested. You can actualy get charcoal pills for dogs and humans. But, if there is any lighter fluid on it, get him to a vet ASAP. Oddly enough, they may actualy use activated charcoal powder to treat him.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Your house needs to be puppy proof (think toddler proof!). Go around your house and yard. Anything that is dangerous or of value must be put up. Some puppies are worse than others and only experience will let you know how much "proofing" is needed.

We had a Lab-x once that I joked about having to have hooks on the ceiling. She once tore up the mail I put on top the coffee maker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update from the vet's office: He is OK and he "evacuated" all of the charcoal from his sweet little belly! Whew! They are sending us home with some antibiotics and a slot of fluids for dehydration. He was on an unsupervised potty break when he ingested so it only takes a second !!!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I'm glad he is doing better and everything was handled without too much trouble! I would agree that he probably just needs more supervision. When you can't watch him he should go in the crate so he can't cause trouble like this. If you haven't bought a crate yet, nows the time! Its just like putting a baby in a crib when you can't watch them.

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
I feel your pain! My puppy, now 5 months old, is a hoover when outside. She's really great indoors, but the minute we are out she has got her nose to the ground baby! Even on a leash, this girl finds SOMETHING!! Working even more diligently on the "leave it" command, and the "Give" command (if she gets something before I notice). Walking two dogs at once, and one being nearly blind, I can look away for half a second and that little $%W$%$% has something in her mouth! LMAO! Latest thing--I now carry my treat training pouch & clicker EVERYWHERE we go! She looks at me- treat! She walks back to me- treat! Obeys commands - treat! Walks along side of me- treat! I figured her getting fat on treats is better than the multitude of JUNK she puts into her mouth!

This is the newest thing too--prior to this, she was even going on long walks off-leash! Was so obedient. She's hit her sassy stage of "I'm going to test every limit my mommy has set for me"! No more off-leash until her Leave-It and Recall are re-engrained so well she doesn't even think twice about that buzzing bug, dried worm, dead frog, food wrapper, paper bag, toilet stopper (srsly!), plastic baggie, dropped food, duck poop, duck feathers, cow pies (yeah, really!), dead squirrel, tadpoles, chipped concrete, fresh-stinky mulch, straws, cups, acorns, leaves, sticks, blah, blah, blah...................infinity!

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I live in Alaska. My dogs get into all kinds of dead animals and dead fish while we are out hiking, fishing, etc. Those salmon carcasses are like potatoe chips I swear! My dogs get ahold of a carcass and run away with them and hide to eat them up. Never had a problem with them eating the junk they eat, but one of these days I might. My dogs are mostly off leash, so it's a bit of a challenge getting them to drop a carcass. But I just remind myself they are scavengers first before they became pets. Now if I could just get them to quit rolling in whatever dead things they've found, I'd be ahead!

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
I totally get what you are saying Alaska7133! We walk the creeks twice a day, and it's such a fun little adventure. Running, splashing, swimming (well she swims!), climbing, but when we happen upon something dead--oh geez! One time she rolled on something dead, and I came upon it and it stunk to high heaven and had maggots on it!!!! I nearly threw up right then and there. Sooo glad she hadn't started eat it. I wouldn't worry so much, but being a young puppy it does. I really look forward to being back off leash--and we still do it in on occasion, when I am pretty certain there isn't much around that will hurt her or make her sick. It's just me and my wonderful girl! (and an occasional rescue golden too) Your dogs have it made! Salmon! Nice! Such beautiful, rugged country too!

Sorry! Maybe a little.....:eek:fftopic:

I live in Alaska. My dogs get into all kinds of dead animals and dead fish while we are out hiking, fishing, etc. Those salmon carcasses are like potatoe chips I swear! My dogs get ahold of a carcass and run away with them and hide to eat them up. Never had a problem with them eating the junk they eat, but one of these days I might. My dogs are mostly off leash, so it's a bit of a challenge getting them to drop a carcass. But I just remind myself they are scavengers first before they became pets. Now if I could just get them to quit rolling in whatever dead things they've found, I'd be ahead!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget has managed to taste just about everything in his environment. Fortunately, he hasn't actually swallowed the rocks, pomegranates, sticks, golf balls, irrigation system parts etc., but I still have to watch him constantly. This is a stage that I would love to see Nugget outgrow - he's 9 1/2 months now and counting.....

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
This is a stage that I would love to see Nugget outgrow - he's 9 1/2 months now and counting.....
Oh bioteach...
Say it isn't so!!!!!:uhoh::uhoh::bawling::bawling::nervous::no::no::yuck::yuck:

Bryley is almost 5 months old and I was hoping his ground grazing would end sooner than later! Recently I had to pry a already dead, mangled song bird (thank-you cats... grrrr :mad:) out of his mouth, not once but 3 times!!! Well, the 3 times was my fault because I was so freaked out having to touch the poor bird I never flung it farther than a foot or so and Bryley kept getting it. Then later that day a big beetle- I swear it was as big as a pancake! also found its way into his mouth! And every day he still picks up rocks (those I pry out of his mouth) and eats the same old leaves that are on the deck and the same old straw that is in the dog pen that have been here since the day we got him! How can those things still be interesting?! Because of all this, he is leashed even going into his own dog pen. Makes me kind of sad, actually.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I feel for you. I forgot to mention the dead roof rat, the scorpion (maybe dead - not sure) and today's delight - a dropped paper clip. I discovered that if I ignore it he eventually loses interest and spits it out.

From time to time I did trade a small treat for the "treasure"; but I didn't want Nugget to seek out stuff to "eat" just to get a treat. We are learning "Leave it"; but it is a sloooooooooooow process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.