Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some sort of rodent in here. I'm walling off things and stuffing other things with brillo pads to kill the rodent scum. My dog seems mostly uninterested in hunting it down. I'm thinking of renting a cat.

While I look into cat rental services (Must be very tolerant of dogs and hate rodents ;) ), though, what do I do to kill this thing?

My concern is your traditional rat or mouse trap involves peanut butter or cheese or something. The last place I lived, the only previous time I had a rodent, I set the traps and my dog licked all the peanut butter off them. I never did catch that mouse. I think it moved on to another place, or maybe it's still there, and I moved on. ;) In any event, what can I set up to catch a rodent that won't catch a golden retriever instead?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Are you finding rodent dropping in your cabinets? If so, set traps there. Also pull out your stove & fridge, if droppings are present--lay some traps. Hopefully you can locate their entry point & block it off.

·
Premium Member
18,275 Posts
There are glue traps that are either an open flat board with glue on it that you set in the pathways of the mouse, or box type glue boards that have holes on both ends for them to enter.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We used the glue scented traps. I did put peanut butter on them, but they were up in the cupboard. The scented ones have some sort of inciting smell for the "furry little devil". I wish you luck in locating it, it is just so unnerving having them around.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When we had them in our house, I went to the health food store and bought peppermint oil. I saturated cotton balls with the oil, and strategically placed them in cabinets, drawers, under the fridge, behind furniture. It scared them off, but the scent can be kind of strong.

When I went to buy it, I noticed the store smelled like peppermint too and the clerk said they use it for mice too.

I would not use it if you have any type of pet bird.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
If your dogs are in your room at night and/or crated, you can set the traps out right before you go to bed close to where you've seen droppings or the actual critters themselves. The mice are more active at night anyway.

This strategy assumes you're not as absent-minded as I am and will remember to pick them up again in the morning before letting your dogs out!

I prefer the spring traps...a quick snap and they're generally done for. The glue ones seem quite inhumane by comparison...they're stuck until they starve or panic to death and you could end up with a live mouse stuck in a trap you'll have to dispatch somehow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We've had luck with the traps that snap, plus that's the most humane for the mice since it's so quick. We stuffed every little nook and cranny with steel wool, since they can't chew through the that. Also, don't forget to deep clean where you see them, not only because their waste is bad for us, but just to get all crumbs and food traces up. Even things like soap can attract them too.

Don't pin hopes on a cat either, we have two cats and they've killed exactly zero mice lol Gambit is such a wimp he'd probably be afraid of them.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I put traps under all my cabinets and any place my dogs cannot get to. I trap year around and check the traps every few days. I have read that mice follow there trails so you have to keep on it or new ones will just keep finding the sent of the old trails. It's a year round business for me. I have not caught one in two years but the traps are still set and waiting for that one little bugger that finds his way in.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Any reason why I can't throw pure rat poison down a rat hole in the space between the walls? In theory, the dog can't get there. I just wonder if there are fumes or something or if a rodent could bring it out as a snack and then drop it or something.

Unfortunately, I thought the thing had moved on, but I saw a new hole yesterday. Landlord is useless. I am going to a hardware store today and arming myself with as many rodent preventatives as I think I can employ without endangering the dog.

I have actually hired a cleaning service because I have had trouble keeping up with that and a cleaner home should equal less attraction for rodents (That wasn't why I'm hiring the service, its been in the works since long before the rodent. I just am horrible at cleaning and keeping up with cleaning and really want a clean environment for the dog and I. I kept hoping I'd get better about it, because when I was like 19 I knew it was typical of single guys my age, but in my 30s I realize I am not getting any better, so what I can't do, I figure the only option is to try to hire someone to do- just sort of the minimum service at the minimum frequency for financial reasons, but I live alone with the dog, so its not like I generate much mess, a pro should be able to do it easily and quickly once a month or something.). I thought about preceding or following up with Orkin or something, but I would like to have some chance at not defaulting on debt, you know? Low income so even the cleaning service once a month or so is a huge sacrifice and concession for me.

What about the dog's food bowl? If I lift it up and put it on a table or somethibg before we go to sleep, will that help, or do rodents climb? My dog is a grazer and doesn't do "meal time", he eats when he wants, but we're both asleep at a certain time and he doesn't eat then.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
If the critter eats the rat poison and then vomits or comes out in the open and your dog eats either (disgusting but true...my hound loved to hunt field mice in his younger years), you have a poisoned dog. Not to mention just having poison in the house...they make that stuff palatable.

I would put EVERYTHING edible in the refrigerator or the microwave unless it's in a metal container or glass jar, including bar soap and toothpaste. They will eat just about anything and can get through amazingly small holes. The dog food should be put away when you can't stand there and watch the bowl.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"Any reason why I can't throw pure rat poison down a rat hole in the space between the walls?
What about the dog's food bowl? If I lift it up and put it on a table or somethibg before we go to sleep, will that help, or do rodents climb? My dog is a grazer and doesn't do "meal time", he eats when he wants, but we're both asleep at a certain time and he doesn't eat then."

It is possible that the rat will track the poison all through your home. Your dog will possibly get it on his fur or paws and lick it off. The rats don't always die immediately and it can die where your dog can get to it and consume it. Then your dog will have consumed the poison.

The rat can get to your dogs food bowl and track anything and everything on its paws into that bowl. They can climb so putting the bowl up won't work. While you are having this problem I would give the dog a clean bowl and new food (don't leave the bowl down especially with food in it)

For your dogs safety you need to change his eating habits for the time being.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got some glue traps and some traps that only a mouse can fit in that close on it. Also got things that you plug in and admit a high-pitched sound that apparently only rats can hear that drives them away. It says it doesn't bother dogs. My dog seems to not be bothered. *I* can hear it, though. ;) But not much of it. I hope it is worse on the rats' frequency range.

Didn't get anything with poison as per recommendations in the thread. Did buy a special rodent bait paste, though, because if I load anything with peanut butter the dog will whine and try to claw his way to it. He really likes his peanut butter. We're keeping stuff away from him anyway even though it's not poison and it's not peanut butter, though. The traps are on top of things he can't reach or behind things or behind cabinet doors and stuff.

As far as the feeding routine with the dog food goes, this guy is very, very stubborn. I tried many times lifting bowls and only feeding him at meal time, and he will just refuse to eat when I do that. I am telling you I can not retrain him on this one- at least not during the short time I have before I hopefully eliminate the rats. So, that's just got to be how it's going to be. Believe me, this guy is so stubborn he often refuses to eat his food most of the day and spends it begging for treats and then wolfs it down at the end. We've had times when he was gestures at treats and whined and I've gestured at the bowl and told him his food is there back and forth for quite some time. I do feed him lots of treats, but I make him eat some regular food because it is nutritionally balanced (And, yes, I've tried switching food a bunch of times- whatever is that bowl loses it's appeal to him within a week of switching brands). This is just how it is with him now, I've had him for five years, he needs his bowl down while he's awake and he'll get to it when he gets to it. My vet says, and I agree, that if not for the fact that I've had him since eight weeks and he's developed normally into a normal sized dog and such, that we'd both be worried about his attitude to food, which is so different from what one would expect. But he eats enough of it to be a normal weight if I leave it out and let him graze when he wants to.

I'm not seeing the rodents by the food anyway. I've only seen them twice, and they weren't anywhere near it, and neither is the hole.

I appreciate the advice on the rodents and am taking it by avoiding rat poisons and stuff. But I really don't think I can pull the dog's food bowl and still have him get enough to eat- not this dog. Believe me, I've never met a human on this earth who has ever outstubborned me, and this guy has done it on several issues. ;) Possibly I have a soft spot for golden retrievers. :) Possibly also he's abnormally stubborn. :) We've kind of come to understandings and compromised on stuff like an old couple and it is how it is. I'm not messing with it too much. I got a lot of stuff going on in my life, and I don't need a dog who won't eat or decides since I insist on feeding him on a schedule he's going to stand by the treats and bark and whine all day (Which is exactly what he'd do, with periodic breaks to come over and stare me down and nudge me). Believe me, a lot of stuff going on at once here health wise and life wise and I'm not introducing that into the mix. :)

But we're going to get the rodents and we're going to get paid cleaners in here monthly and then it'll be a non-issue that his food is out from any perspective. And I'm doing what I can in other areas of my life. He's a happy dog mostly. I wish I was as happy. But he's a nice element of my life. And I think he'll be fine. I understand what people are saying, but we're moving on this and he is well vaccinated and everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts