Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had our 14 year old Max into the vet and had a thorough senior exam. His Zoasis-Superchem, CBC tests done. The results came back with: GGTP 14 High, Urea Nitrogen 79 High, BUN/Creatinine Ratio 40 High. So the vet says he has early stage kidney failure. There were other values on the blood test that were off, but these were the ones of concern. We had Max on Deramaxx for arthritis as he is slow getting up. Had him on Glycoflex 3, Tramadol and he was on Taste of the Wild Prairie. Vet took him off Deramaxx, off Glycoflex 3, replaced with Dasuquin, left on Tramadol and put on Canine K/D Dry diet. Vet wants another blood panel done in 30 days. We are also going to have his thyroid tested on Monday.

Has anyone had results like this? Were you able to reverse it? Just concerned because Max is the last of our 3 goldens that are left. I can't bear the thought of loosing him. Probably won't be able to have another golden child for several years.

Attachments

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
No suggestions or ideas, just wanted to say how lucky Max is to have you and you him. Hoping the changes the vet suggests have a quick and positive effect!

Reactions: PrincessDi

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
My gosh, is that just the cutest face or what?? Makes me want to kiss the screen:p:. I am not surprised that given Max's age you are starting to see some of this. I am not a big fan of Hill's for long term use, but it has kept some of my renal failure kitties going for years. If you are willing to cook, Dr. Dodds has some great recipes for both kidney and liver. I think you can find them on the Hemopet website. Curious as to why he pulled him off Glycoflex?? Vertriscience does make some good renal support supplements. I might have some left from Morgan, I will check and see if they are still in date. It will be very important for him to drink lots of water, I have added a small bit of low sodium chicken or beef broth to encourage drinking.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
He is beautiful.
Perhaps ask your vet about giving him 1/2 of a baby aspirin a day, it's supposed to be very protective for the kidneys.
I hope and pray that he will be okay. He's just as handsome as can be.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I have had 2 goldens spike like that from Rimadyl & these same 2 got very sick from Deramaxx -- I now use Metacam for 1 (Casey as needed) and Tramadol as needed for the younger 2 (injuries etc).

And the 2 whose values spike did return to normal after being off of Rimadyl 6 months or so. I do not remember what their values were though it has been a long time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gosh, is that just the cutest face or what?? Makes me want to kiss the screen:p:.

Max sends kisses to you and Jordan as well!!:smooch::smooch::smooch::smooch:

I am not surprised that given Max's age you are starting to see some of this. I am not a big fan of Hill's for long term use, but it has kept some of my renal failure kitties going for years. If you are willing to cook, Dr. Dodds has some great recipes for both kidney and liver. I think you can find them on the Hemopet website.

I'll check Hemopet out.

Curious as to why he pulled him off Glycoflex?? Vertriscience does make some good renal support supplements. I might have some left from Morgan, I will check and see if they are still in date. It will be very important for him to drink lots of water, I have added a small bit of low sodium chicken or beef broth to encourage drinking.
Did you add the chicken or beef broth to the water or their food? I added some ground chicken (about 2 TBSP) with water to the top of his food. He isn't used to eating kibble dry.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Max is such a handsome boy. I hope the suggested changes work for him. Did the vet do a blood pressure check and if so, were his pressures high? I'm wondering if the kidney disease is caused by undiagnosed hypertension.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is beautiful.
Perhaps ask your vet about giving him 1/2 of a baby aspirin a day, it's supposed to be very protective for the kidneys.
I hope and pray that he will be okay. He's just as handsome as can be.
Thanks, I'll ask about this! I always thought that Toby and Copper looked like Max. Am continuing to keep you in our thoughts and prayers Barb.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
K/D comes in canned Royal Canin also makes a good renal food. Sorry, I meant to add a little broth to his water.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Forgot to say, you are going to want to see his thyroid on the high end of normal to help protect his kidneys.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Milk thistle will help getting those values back to norm. Not a fan of NSAID's here. Deramax almost killed my dog. Elevated values are not uncommon in even a healthy senior dog. A proper home cooked diet will help more than the science diet IMO.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had 2 goldens spike like that from Rimadyl & these same 2 got very sick from Deramaxx -- I now use Metacam for 1 (Casey as needed) and Tramadol as needed for the younger 2 (injuries etc).

And the 2 whose values spike did return to normal after being off of Rimadyl 6 months or so. I do not remember what their values were though it has been a long time.
I meant to ask the vet about Metacam. Thanks so much for reminding me.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Milk thistle will help getting those values back to norm. Not a fan of NSAID's here. Deramax almost killed my dog. Elevated values are not uncommon in even a healthy senior dog. A proper home cooked diet will help more than the science diet IMO.
I think you are thinking of liver values, Steve.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Max is such a handsome boy. I hope the suggested changes work for him. Did the vet do a blood pressure check and if so, were his pressures high? I'm wondering if the kidney disease is caused by undiagnosed hypertension.
I don't think he did a blood pressure check. I'm not sure if they have it there. They are a big clinic though (8 vets), i'll definitely find out though.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot to say, you are going to want to see his thyroid on the high end of normal to help protect his kidneys.
The vet mentioned that they have the Royal Canin. Do you think its better than the K/D? Thanks for the heads up on thyroid, I had no idea it should be on the high end!!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Milk thistle is always good. Yes, I do like RC better

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for the info on Milk thistle. I think I had read that some time back but had forgotten.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts