Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a question about the elevated footbowls..
Is it necessary to buy a foodbowl that is adjustable in height?
On the internet are pros and cons so I don't know what to do.:confused:

Thanks!

·
Banned
464 Posts
Really bad idea, the later studies on bloat recommended you do two things: slow down a fast eater and do not use elevated bowls.

Early on it was thought elevated bowls helped, but they actually increase bloat risk quite substantially.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Really bad idea, the later studies on bloat recommended you do two things: slow down a fast eater and do not use elevated bowls.

Early on it was thought elevated bowls helped, but they actually increase bloat risk quite substantially.
I've read the same thing.

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
Sorry to hyjack this post, but how do you slow down a fast eater?.. Zane wolfs down his food in two secs.. I've tried different things to try to make him eat slower but nothing I've tried works.. :/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to hyjack this post, but how do you slow down a fast eater?.. Zane wolfs down his food in two secs.. I've tried different things to try to make him eat slower but nothing I've tried works.. :/
There are dog bowls you can buy that have bumps in them or come with large balls or something so that the dog has to try to eat around them, thus slowing them down.

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use a kong to slow Kasey down. I fill up the kong put the rest in her bowl then put the kong on top. She eats around the kong then picks it up to get the food out and goes back to her bowl for the rest. It used to take her a minute to eat all her food but this way it takes at least 5! It also helps when she shakes the kong the food slides all over the kitchen floor and she has to move all over to get it!

·
Banned
464 Posts
I have found using a really big kibble works like Royal Canin Labrador, which is also recommend for Goldens. They will learn to eat slower.

Or buy a cast iron muffin tin and spread the food in the cups, that really works well. For pups especially, they learn to slow down faster.

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
I use a kong to slow Kasey down. I fill up the kong put the rest in her bowl then put the kong on top. She eats around the kong then picks it up to get the food out and goes back to her bowl for the rest. It used to take her a minute to eat all her food but this way it takes at least 5! It also helps when she shakes the kong the food slides all over the kitchen floor and she has to move all over to get it!
Madison ate her Kong.. Had to throw it out.. :/ lol I will have to look into getting a new one just for Zane.. :)

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
I have found using a really big kibble works like Royal Canin Labrador, which is also recommend for Goldens. They will learn to eat slower.

Or buy a cast iron muffin tin and spread the food in the cups, that really works well. For pups especially, they learn to slow down faster.
I buy ACTR1UM Holistics for large breed, its a good size dog food, but it doesn't matter on the size for Zane.. It doesn't even have to be edible and he'll try to eat it.. :/ I'm going to try to get one of those Anti-Gulp bowls..

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Elevated food bowls correlate with an increased risk of bloat. Bad idea.

·
Registered
130 Posts
we were spreading Journey's food out on a big cookie sheet to slow him down. Adding a bit of wet food has also helped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts