Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phoebe used to lie down to eat, I heard this wasn't too good and to get elevated bowls so we did. Now I'm hearing bad things about them.
Bowls on the ground-
When dogs eat it they get air bubbles which make them eat less and burp or fart more.
Strains their joints
Elevated bowls-
No air bubbles but someone said something about them that I just can't remember now.
And it is less strain on the joints
She doesn't paw her water

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have elevated bowls for my two big boys and never had a problem. Never even heard of elevated bowls being bad. I think the stooping over a bowl on the ground and gulping food and water is the worst thing and causing the extra air to enter.
After my golden had two surgeries recently, I had to feed him with him laying down and had no problems. Laying down is also better in my book than the stooping over the bowls on the ground. But that is is my opinion and my experience. I am sure there are a lot of different opinions and experiences out there.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
I have never used anything but riser bowls. Its the natural way dogs are supposed to eat.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I read an article a couple of years ago in a Golden Retriever publication that raised bowl can contribute to bloat. I've never used raised bowls for any of my dog but the article stuck in my mind because I know many people do.

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
This is interesting. I would think dogs in the wild would not have food and drink "elevated" but if there is a better way, I am all for it. I have never used raised water or food bowls, but my in-laws do. I would be interested to hear what others use for their goldens.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I used elevated bowls for both Jenni and Caesar. Never had any problems at all. I really think that they preferred them because when we were out of town, sometimes they had to eat out of bowls on the ground and they would look up at me as if to say "what the heck is this."

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts