Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rosie had her followup with the orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed her as having elbow dysplasia in both elbows (worse in the left) and recommended arthroscopy to remove extra cartilage ($2500-$2800). He said there is a 75% chance she will be better. Wondering if any other people have had to make this decision and what they did? We are leaning towards doing the surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Mako had to have both elbows operated on for Fragmented Coroniod Process. He was only 7 months old when he had his surgeries and we did both elbows at the same time. Mako will be 4 on the 4th of July and has had no issues so far with either elbow. His surgeon told us he will have arthritis in both elbows at a young age but we have not seen this happening yet. We put him on Dasaquin MSM immediately and I really do think that has helped. He gets one everyday since his surgery and also we keep him trim. We don't want any extra weight on his elbows. He also had physical therapy and hydrotherapy for 2 months after the surgery.
Both elbows cost us $5 grand(including therapy).....if we did one elbow at a time it would have cost even more!
I have attached some pics of Mako. We are very happy with our decision to have the surgeries....we felt if we did not he may be unable to walk without pain and he was just too young not to do it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thanks Makomom. Our baby is just over 7 months old and was also born on the 4th of July!! I have emailed the surgeon to set up a date. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
WOW...what a coincidence! Mako was in a litter of 13 pups:eek:
Has Rosie been limping? We had brought Mako to a dog park and started limping there...we thought he stepped in a hole while running or just turned his leg wrong. My local vet thought it was a sprain and we kept Mako under close survellience with no running or playing for 2 weeks. That was hard...7 month old pup just wants to zoom around the house and yard! He was still limping after that so we brought him to a specialist.
Worth every penny! Good luck and keep me posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rosie

She had a little bit of a limp for 2 weeks. I thought it was because of a hard hit with a dog at the park too. Let the breeder know. No response.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,435 Posts
My Topbrass girl hasd bilateral FCP, and she was hobbling and hurting. While the surgery was very expenisive and the recovery was painstaking, she came away looking 100 percent sound. It was beyond successful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
I contacted the person we got Mako from and never heard back! I didn't want any money ....I just wanted him to know so he would not breed the 2 dogs again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hi, just came across your posts ,my choc lab Milo had surgery 1 week ago forED.He had bilateral arthrotomies,one elbow had a bone chip the other cartlidge fragments. So far he's doing well,had heavy bandages changed today,he's adapting to his crate and short leash walks. My vet has started him on 4cyte joint supplement he has been using it on some older arthritic dogs with good results,and it is recommended for pre and post joint surgery. I think the difficult time will be keeping him to a strict exercise program and not letting him over do things too soon.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top