Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sierra has a small callus on her left elbow.
I'm assuming from laying on the cool (and rough)concrete this summer.:confused:
She lays on the vinyl floor in the kitchen but I haven't noticed that it affects her that way.
Should I rub some vitamin e into it to soften it and promote hair regrowth?
Is there anything else I could do for her?
Open to suggestions...
Karen

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've seen a cream, can't remember where, for dogs that is made for calloused elbows, and dry and crack pads and nails. So there is something out there but just can't remember what it's called or where I saw it.

Or just leave it alone.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My dogs have elbow callouses too... I think its pretty normal and not something I worry about whatsoever.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Mine don't, but they only lay on beds, sofas, and so forth. But, it's not a health concern. Brooklyn has ones I hope will fade as she gets used to the soft life ;) I think some dogs even in great indoor homes do get them, just from the way they lay. I think Dillon came with his, didn't he?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A cream named Protecta-Pad is used for paw pads and elbows. It has a spearmint smell and my dog runs when I come near his front feet with the cream! It should soften up the calloused elbow and maybe hair will grow there again. Yes, it was probably the concrete floor that created her callous.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
A cream named Protecta-Pad is used for paw pads and elbows. It has a spearmint smell and my dog runs when I come near his front feet with the cream! It should soften up the calloused elbow and maybe hair will grow there again. Yes, it was probably the concrete floor that created her callous.
That's the one I saw (and have by the way)!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I think some dogs even in great indoor homes do get them, just from the way they lay. I think Dillon came with his, didn't he?

Yup Dill came with his :)

But I have all wood floors that mine lay on all the time, especially when its hot in the summer.. so they both have them. It's definitely due to how they lay too.. Sam only has a callous on his right elbow but not his left haha

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for product tip.
I'll check at the local pet stores for it.
That way Sierra will get some "store time" too.
Thanks again!!!
Karen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts