Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 12-year old boy Duke had general anesthesia yesterday for a CT scan to check for cancer and laryngeal paralysis. Fortunately he got a clean bill of health on both accounts. However, he still seems out of it, fatigued and not himself. Is this normal and should we just give him more time to snap back to his normal self?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Your own vet would answer the questions. At 12 yrs old, I would definitely give him or her a jingle.

This is a general statement, and not aimed specifically at the OP, but considering the emotional (and financial) investment that we make in our pets; I am astounded at more don't contact their vet as their primary source of medical information.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your own vet would answer the questions. At 12 yrs old, I would definitely give him or her a jingle.

This is a general statement, and not aimed specifically at the OP, but considering the emotional (and financial) investment that people make in our pets; I am astounded at more don't contact their vet as their primary source of medical information.
What?! Of course I've contacted my vet!. But you do understand that users come to this group with questions because the pet parents here have a great deal of experience to share. Your response is not helpful, and is completely insulting and condescending.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
My male does very poorly with morphine, he's fine with other drugs. He took a long time to come out from the morphine and was very disoriented for a while. He was put under for the hip/elbow x-rays for his OFA. I would ask specifically which drugs they used with the ansethesia. Different drugs will have different affects. If you could narrow down what it is, make a note to not have it used again on your dog. But I would ask about morphine, it's possible that is what was the culprit. Also as dogs age they react less well to anesthesia.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My male does very poorly with morphine, he's fine with other drugs. He took a long time to come out from the morphine and was very disoriented for a while. He was put under for the hip/elbow x-rays for his OFA. I would ask specifically which drugs they used with the ansethesia. Different drugs will have different affects. If you could narrow down what it is, make a note to not have it used again on your dog. But I would ask about morphine, it's possible that is what was the culprit. Also as dogs age they react less well to anesthesia.
Thank you. Good advice. Things got more concerning this afternoon when Duke wouldn’t eat and he has a temp of 103.8. I took him in and they think he has aspiration pneumonia from the general anesthesia. They plan to start IV antibiotics and fluids and keep him overnight. Hopefully he will begin to bounce back quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Thank you. Good advice. Things got more concerning this afternoon when Duke wouldn’t eat and he has a temp of 103.8. I took him in and they think he has aspiration pneumonia from the general anesthesia. They plan to start IV antibiotics and fluids and keep him overnight. Hopefully he will begin to bounce back quickly.
That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that about the pneumonia. How did he aspirate? Did he vomit will under? Or did he possibly vomit while coming out of the anesthesia? How ever it happened that's really sad. I hope he does bounce back.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that about the pneumonia. How did he aspirate? Did he vomit will under? Or did he possibly vomit while coming out of the anesthesia? How ever it happened that's really sad. I hope he does bounce back.
They didn’t say if he vomited during or after the anesthesia but I will certainly ask. I’m worried but hope the antibiotics start to kick this thing in the ass and he bounces back quickly.

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
When my boy came out of anesthesia after being put under for a tear duct surgery, he was very excited when he saw us but SUPER sleepy at home. Then at night time he was leaking urine, as his muscles were still relaxed from the anesthesia. The next day he was basically back to normal.

So sorry to hear that your boy got sick! That is no fun. Sending healing thoughts your way!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hope he starts doing better quickly. I was just reading a new study that came out regarding certain breeds of dogs, one being Golden's, and adverse reactions to propofol. If I remember correctly they are looking in to a genetic link.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
Our 12-year old boy Duke had general anesthesia yesterday for a CT scan to check for cancer and laryngeal paralysis. Fortunately he got a clean bill of health on both accounts. However, he still seems out of it, fatigued and not himself. Is this normal and should we just give him more time to snap back to his normal self?
Anesthesia, at least from the human experience, can take 24 hours to exit your system. That's why you are told not to drive for 24 hours. So I would look to see a slow but steady improvement in energy. As he is an older guy all of this could take more time - slower metabolism, etc. And of course, should you see any deterioration or have any concerns I am sure you will have the wisdom to call your provider. Keep us posted, please!

Re: Your update. So sorry to hear Duke continues to struggle with his post op experience. All my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There was
What?! Of course I've contacted my vet!. But you do understand that users come to this group with questions because the pet parents here have a great deal of experience to share. Your response is not helpful, and is completely insulting and condescending.
NO insult intended in your direction.
Your post made no mention of contacting your vet afterwards, and there have been quite a number of people requesting medical advice on the forum. I am still sensitive after having to put my 14.5 yr old Border Collie to sleep last month.
I hope your dog does well and enjoys many more of her senior years.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I'm sorry he's having complications. Hopefully your catching it so quickly will help him recover well.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

Duke spent the night in the vet hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics. His temp has been normal for more than 14 hours and he got to come home this morning. He will be on antibiotics for 2 weeks to make sure the pneumonia is completely gone and then do a chest X-ray recheck. Unfortunately, the antibiotics seem to be giving him a little upset tummy to nausea because he's still refusing to eat. The gave us a prescription of an anti-nausea drug to help with appetite, plus I'm going to boil some chicken and rice to help entice him. I really would like to see him eat something. Thanks everyone for chiming in and I'll post updates here.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
UPDATE:

Duke spent the night in the vet hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics. His temp has been normal for more than 14 hours and he got to come home this morning. He will be on antibiotics for 2 weeks to make sure the pneumonia is completely gone and then do a chest X-ray recheck. Unfortunately, the antibiotics seem to be giving him a little upset tummy to nausea because he's still refusing to eat. The gave us a prescription of an anti-nausea drug to help with appetite, plus I'm going to boil some chicken and rice to help entice him. I really would like to see him eat something. Thanks everyone for chiming in and I'll post updates here.
GREAT NEWS! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You are extremely fortunate that Duke made it through aspiration pneumonia. Many dogs when diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia do not make it. I lost my female golden last Christmas to this after being put under for surgery. Count your blessings!

1 - 17 of 16 Posts