Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Althea just got spayed on Thursday. All went well (phew). She was a very out of it that night. Now, however, she is back to her usual "spunky" and "enthusiastic" self. She supposed to stay calm (!!!) for the next 10 days. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? (She's currently trying to do zoomies around the house!!!)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I filled a kong up with peanut butter then froze it.

It took my dog hours of just laying there to try and get it all out.

Might be worth a try!

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Pippa was spayed two days before Thanksgiving--I feel your pain! Frozen Kongs are awesome, and we also relied on frozen marrow bones (with most of the marrow scooped out) and the occasional bully stick. We kept her in an expen with access to her crate, but she developed a small seroma, so ultimately she had to be on enforced crate rest regardless of how unhappy it made her :( The good news is that when she was finally healed and she got the green light to go play, the expression on her face as she rocketed around the yard was priceless :p: Good luck!

·
VickiR
239 Posts
It was impossible to keep Olivia still. The vet said to watch her incision and if it looks ok, don't worry too much.
Since they are sisters, I bet you will have the same problem.
Olivia healed just fine.
Althea is a pretty girl!

BTW, did you hear that Alaine is moving?

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the tips. She's our baby, but she's being a bit of pain as she doesn't really understand that she's supposed to be healing :)

Vicki - so glad you went through the same thing with Olivia. The vet told us that Althea was only days away from going into heat. I can't imagine! I did hear that Alaine is moving. We're happy for her, but a bit disappointed as we would have loved to get Althea a "sister" from Alaine in the next few years.

BTW, how big is Olivia now? Althea weighed in at 40.2 pounds before the spay. A wee little one. She was the last in the litter, and the vet says she's doing great for her build.

·
VickiR
239 Posts
I haven't weighed Olivia in a couple of weeks but she is about 50# now.

There is another good breeder just around the corner from where Alaine lives now. In fact, that's who owns Bang, their Dad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had no choice but to crate my girl for a few days. She was sleepy the first night too but back to normal the next day. I have a 3 year old daughter so it was pretty hard to keep her calm! I used alot of frozen kongs, frozen bananas, and I bought a bunch of new toys. My pup loves new toys she will sit for at least a half hour when I give her something new! I just rotated all the new toys and she was pretty good. She was pretty crazy when she was allowed to play so watch out! LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts