Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miss Eden’s own thread is very long overdue, after I failed to keep up with her puppy thread (lol).

She turned 1 in May, we did a fastCAT trial (?) for her birthday, and that was about it lol. My friend got a golden not much older than Eden in May from a kind of odd situation, so I’ve roped her into my “all the titles” quest with Eden. (so that we can keep each other motivated lol) We’re trying rally first.

We live in a great area with lots of trials and stuff going on, so we’ve got options. We’ve entered both girls in a rally trial at the end of January. Neither will be completely ready at that point, but the humans need to get rid of first trial jitters! Then we’ll know what we need to work on for our next trial in February. We’re in Intermediate-level rally class and Eden can successfully do an entire rally course off leash with minimal (to no) reward next to the pool, so I have hopes.

Most of my focus has been on rally, but we’re starting agility privates in a month. My friend and I are working on weaves independently together. She taught her border collies weaves using the 2x2 method, which I’ve never done, so this will be fun for both of us. I’m hoping Eden will make her agility debut at the 2022 National, but don’t hold me to that in case I flake.

Conformation: her breeders have handled her in a variety of shows this year, but no points for Eden. She’s placed at every show, in almost every class. I have a million flats, but no points. She was naked though and I suck at keeping up her grooming in between shows. Hopefully year 2 is better cause I’d love her CH this year. Too bad there’s no friend to keep me motivated on grooming!

It’s just so nice to have such a solid dog. She is literally the perfect golden retriever in temperament and her structure is pretty lovely too. I love Kaizer to death, but SUCH a different experience.

L-R: Kaizer, Eden, Josie (my friend’s golden). Eden is not actually massive.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Companion dog

a couple Christmas pics!
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Dog breed Pet supply

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Dog supply

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Eden is just getting her own thread??? Lol
She’s a pretty girl. It’s great to have friends to train with. I’m on my own with everything other then hunt. Good luck, even though I don’t think you need it. If I get my butt in gear maybe we’ll meet at a Rally trial. Cruz is starting Rally class as an extra this winter.

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eden is just getting her own thread??? Lol
She’s a pretty girl. It’s great to have friends to train with. I’m on my own with everything other then hunt. Good luck, even though I don’t think you need it. If I get my butt in gear maybe we’ll meet at a Rally trial. Cruz is starting Rally class as an extra this winter.
ha! Yes I suck. All her big stuff got lumped into Kaizer threads but she deserves her own.

You are absolutely always welcome to join us! I don’t think we train using the same methods (?), but if you don’t mind, definitely always welcome. She’s in Elkton, I’m in Newark, neither of us mind traveling. We’re looking all over for new places to train.

ETA: if you join us, we might pick your brain about hunt testing!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ha! Yes I suck. All her big stuff got lumped into Kaizer threads but she deserves her own.

You are absolutely always welcome to join us! I don’t think we train using the same methods (?), but if you don’t mind, definitely always welcome. She’s in Elkton, I’m in Newark, neither of us mind traveling. We’re looking all over for new places to train.

ETA: if you join us, we might pick your brain about hunt testing!
Thank you. We will have to try to do something. I have never used clicker training. I guess I'm old school, mostly because I always hunt train as a primary focus. Your welcome to pick my brain anytime. I have training grounds for hunt. I'm going to try handling class and Rally for a fun time with Cruz over the winter. It should be busy adding those to his hunt training schedule, but at least they are indoors.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
YAY! Eden has her own thread now! Definitely well-deserved. This almost motivates me to do one for Summit, but, I am just not sure I would keep up with it. I had such a long break between her 8mos and 12mos post. Life gets sooo busy! I am really excited for us to do our first trials this year. I don't know the first thing about show. How can you place, but, not get points? It's interesting how two goldens can be so different from one another. When we got Summit, I was a little worried that I might end up liking/loving one of my girls more than the other. But, they are so different, I love different things about them. Which is actually wonderful because now I don't feel guilty about the love I have for each of them. The heart just expands. Excited to follow Eden's journey here :)

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i’m
Thank you. We will have to try to do something. I have never used clicker training. I guess I'm old school, mostly because I always hunt train as a primary focus. Your welcome to pick my brain anytime. I have training grounds for hunt. I'm going to try handling class and Rally for a fun time with Cruz over the winter. It should be busy adding those to his hunt training schedule, but at least they are indoors.
If we’re just practicing and prepping for trial, you don’t have to use a clicker. Practice is practice, but more fun with friends lol. If you’d ever like to join us, feel free to PM!

Handling class for conformation?

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YAY! Eden has her own thread now! Definitely well-deserved. This almost motivates me to do one for Summit, but, I am just not sure I would keep up with it. I had such a long break between her 8mos and 12mos post. Life gets sooo busy! I am really excited for us to do our first trials this year. I don't know the first thing about show. How can you place, but, not get points? It's interesting how two goldens can be so different from one another. When we got Summit, I was a little worried that I might end up liking/loving one of my girls more than the other. But, they are so different, I love different things about them. Which is actually wonderful because now I don't feel guilty about the love I have for each of them. The heart just expands. Excited to follow Eden's journey here :)
I didn’t keep up with Eden’s puppy thread either, but she was SO easy compared to Kaizer, there was just never anything to say. Do a Summit thread! Maybe we can keep each other up to date.

Here’s my understanding of it, hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong. She was entered in the puppy classes, and you don’t get points til the Winners class. To get to Winners, she would have to be awarded first in her puppy class. Then she’d have to go up against every bitch who got first in all the other classes, and whoever gets first, gets points. AKC conformation doesnt give points for second place LOL.

Eden frequently places 1st or 2nd in her class, but never wins Winners Bitch. I think cause she’s been consistently naked, she’s a little slow to mature.

Reactions: 3Pebs3

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i’m

If we’re just practicing and prepping for trial, you don’t have to use a clicker. Practice is practice, but more fun with friends lol. If you’d ever like to join us, feel free to PM!

Handling class for conformation?
Yes, conformation and it's completely out of my comfort zone. I know absolutely nothing. I will definitely need a handler. I'm just trying to learn and get some objective opinions at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
I didn’t keep up with Eden’s puppy thread either, but she was SO easy compared to Kaizer, there was just never anything to say. Do a Summit thread! Maybe we can keep each other up to date.

Here’s my understanding of it, hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong. She was entered in the puppy classes, and you don’t get points til the Winners class. To get to Winners, she would have to be awarded first in her puppy class. Then she’d have to go up against every bitch who got first in all the other classes, and whoever gets first, gets points. AKC conformation doesnt give points for second place LOL.

Eden frequently places 1st or 2nd in her class, but never wins Winners Bitch. I think cause she’s been consistently naked, she’s a little slow to mature.
At least you and Eden are close! She’s such a beautiful girl. Felix usually sits comfortably at 4th in a class of 4 or 5 dogs LOL.

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, conformation and it's completely out of my comfort zone. I know absolutely nothing. I will definitely need a handler. I'm just trying to learn and get some objective opinions at the moment.
Smart!!! Good luck. Let us know how it goes!! I don’t handle Eden for conformation and it’s way out of my comfort zone too. Handling classes would probably be a good idea for me too

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At least you and Eden are close! She’s such a beautiful girl. Felix usually sits comfortably at 4th in a class of 4 or 5 dogs LOL.
I saw those most recent pics of Felix!! He looks great, I think his time in the ring is coming.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts

I'll think on the thread. As mentioned in her puppy post, I tend to most of my sharing on Instagram/FB.
Thanks for explaining. It sounds really difficult to get points in conformation! What does it mean to be naked? So many questions. I'm very unfamiliar with the conformation world!

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
911 Posts
Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!

Reactions: aesthetic

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll think on the thread. As mentioned in her puppy post, I tend to most of my sharing on Instagram/FB.
Thanks for explaining. It sounds really difficult to get points in conformation! What does it mean to be naked? So many questions. I'm very unfamiliar with the conformation world!
We’re friends on facebook so I’ll get my Summit fix either way! “Naked” as in shes got no coat.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
We’re friends on facebook so I’ll get my Summit fix either way! “Naked” as in shes got no coat.
Oh OK cool! I know we are FB friends but, do you follow my dogs FB page? That's where all of the posts can be found. It is linked to my Instagram: Rundle Mountain Retrievers

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you! I can’t take any credit for those pictures, they were taken by a very talented friend!

Oh OK cool! I know we are FB friends but, do you follow my dogs FB page? That's where all of the posts can be found. It is linked to my Instagram: Rundle Mountain Retrievers
So I thought I followed that page, but apparently I don’t. Just liked it!

• Love
Reactions: 3Pebs3

·
With Her 3 Goldens
220 Posts
Are you going to Get Rev’d for agility (in Elkton)? Rosanne is the best! I was so sad when we moved and had to stop training there.

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you going to Get Rev’d for agility (in Elkton)? Rosanne is the best! I was so sad when we moved and had to stop training there.
Not yet! I help teach at the Academy (if you’re familiar) so I go through all the classes there first. I’ll take Eden through Barb and Rosanne’s classes when she’s ready. We’ll hopefully be taking private lessons with Lauren Blackson next month, if you’re at all familiar with her

Reactions: NicoleGold
1 - 20 of 40 Posts