Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharlette is 9 weeks old today and she eats 3 times a day. Each time she eats she eats a half a cup of puppy chow. (I had her on taste of the wild but she wouldn't eat it so the vet said go back to the purina puppy chow she was on)

He had said to wait to switch her till she was no longer under weight. To just get her eating again and not so much worry right now about trying to get her on anything dif. any how so she eats 1 cup and a half a day. she might eat just a bit more then that because I have a dish full of her food on the floor for her to eat when ever she wants but 3 times a day I measure out food and feed her. she eats it from my hand. I some times see her at her dish but she only eats a bite or too.... never a lot on her own... but so is a cup and a half a lot for a 9 week old? I was reading some of y'alls full grown dogs eat that much or not much more then that..... I was thinking GAH she is only 9 weeks old and is eating this much already? LOL She is gaining weight good. She is 8 pounds 0.5 ounces. I don't want to cut back on how much she eats just yet because she is still a bit under weight but I am just curious if she is eating too much. Thank you in advance.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
1/2 cup 3Xday is about what we did when Jacks was a puppy. :)

We added a half cup when he started going through his big growth spurt and we switched to two meals a day. But that's a couple months off for you.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amber

Amber was 5 mos. on Nov. 1 and eats 4 cups a day, 1 1/2 in the a.m. and p.m. and 1 cup at noon. The vet said that she is borderline underweight at 37 lbs. :wavey:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd quit on the grazing (leaving the food out when she feels like eating).

the amount is also relative to the food itself. some foods require larger feeding portions, others less.

also, sometimes the food itself isn't appealing, so the dog would rather not eat it. when daisy was on wellness, sometimes she won't eat. I had to mix in peanut butter. on flint river ranch, never had a problem finishing her food

lots of stuff to consider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts