Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PowderPuff
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - it's been a while. I have a question, sorry if its been asked before but I couldn't find an answer... what do you do about your Goldens eating snow? Duke (was 1 year on December 17th) will sit outside for hours if I let him, eating snow - falling from the sky, collecting on things, snow piles - especially loves when it turns to ice and will crunch away.

I was so concerned on Christmas Eve, I couldn't get him to come inside, I called the vet. His reply was "as long as its in your own backyard and you know what might be mixed in with the snow, its fine - my dogs do the same thing".

Just curious what everyone here says.

Quick Update - We had him back at the vet's office on 12/18th due to a rash again - determined allergies, so he was switched to Natural Balance, Sweet Potatoe & Venison - which he and Princess (Yorkie), both love! They were both put on antibiotics and Prednisone. His coat changed within a few days from wirey to soft and fluffy, although he put on a little weight with the steroids, so we're working that off of him. He was 100.8# - we're trying to get him back down to 100#. He's not overweight, but a HUGE boy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
:wavey: Hi i would take the advise of the vet its only water just dont let him have too much you know what comes with a upset tum !!!!!!:doh:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jacey does that as well. She'll be outside playing and she'll have her nose down in the snow and she'll look back at me and her nose is all white. It's actually kind of funny looking.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Sorry... but I'm a bit distracted by the fact that your golden is more than 100 pounds. That's enormous!! How tall is he?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine do this also. Cooper will dive bomb snow drifts for hours if I let him. I usually let him stay outside for a while, depending on how cold it is.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Sorry... but I'm a bit distracted by the fact that your golden is more than 100 pounds. That's enormous!! How tall is he?
I was thinking the same thing....my Austin just turned a year on December 27 and I'm guessing he's around 70 pounds.....100 pounds is huge!!! Can you post some pictures of your baby!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
MacKenzie brings snowballs back in the house to eat.

I would just be careful of road salt and antifreeze, so if it is in your backyard should be safe.

I am more concerned of MacKenzie eating the rabbit poop on the snow.

·
PowderPuff
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice - I just wanted to hear from other owners as to whether the snow eating was a common behavior and any known dangers.

I haven't measured how high he is, but he's finally grown "up" to even out the size of his legs & paws. He was a huge puppy, the last picture of him in his bed was at 9weeks old. The earlier picture in the list of him in the same bed, was his birthday with a new toy.

The vet wants him to stop at 100#, which we were within (.08 over), but the prednisone plumped him over that but he's coming back down again.

Attachments

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh adorable. That picture of him on his back on the couch is exactly what Ranger does when he thinks it's time to get up in the morning. Except Ranger does it when he's on my bed! How can you resist scratching a belly like that?! Hahaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts