Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to have our 7 month old puppy have a 1.5" rock surgically removed from his stomach. $2500. Hopefully Embrace pet insurance will pay for largest part. Anyone else have a rock hound? Any ideas to keep him from repeating from doing that? Very scary, he started to ignore his food, would only eat cat food and dirt. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Glad everything turned out okay. Rukie picked up a lot of little rocks when he was very young which we pried out of his mouth. I'm not sure if it is good advice or not but I let him have a big rock that was too large to possibly swallow and he had it in the house. I think it made the novelty of rocks go away. He didn't chew on it or I would have taken it away.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I'm sure that was scary. Mine always just picked them up, but didn't swallow. I would take them out of his mouth. He hasn't done this since puppyhood -- exploring the world with his mouth.

Rocks

Ignoring his food seems problematic also. Did your vet check for any underlying conditions?

I suppose besides teaching leave it & drop it, I would limit him being able to get to rocks and the cat food since he has proven he will eat it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our puppy has gone off rocks now, but when younger would always hold them in her mouth and chew on them. Never swallowed one thankfully. We rent our home so could not remove the large amount of pebble sized rocks in the garden. We tried hard with drop it command, but it's still a working progress. I resorted to vinegar and pepper sprinkled on all the rocks. And I brought a few in the house and sprinkled pepper on them so rocks = yuck. I didn't really want to use that kind of technique but it was quick and effective and if it saves her a surgery or saves her life then I was willing to do it. It worked for her, but she is very good at not swallowing non-edible objects.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Please try the Outfox Field Guard to be used until he has a reliable "Leave It" and "Drop It". Not to mention the money, a second surgery would be very serious health-wise for him.

As a puppy, my youngest golden put EVERYTHING in his mouth. I live in the country so there is no pavement anywhere nearby. Evening and night walks were especially dangerous even with a flashlight because sniffing the ground was hard to distinguish from picking something up in his mouth. And there is gravel, hickory nuts, sticks, etc basically everywhere.

My little guy also had surgeries - I've posted about them - and to save you from the trial and error of trying many alternatives, we found the Outfox Field Guard to be an amazing product. Totally comfortable while on, not restrictive, and he can even drink water while wearing. But he will not be able to ingest objects while walking with you.

Just work on obedience especially Leave It and Drop It. I used the OutFox Field Guard mostly at night until he was past the phase of trying to eat bad things outside. I can't remember exactly, but maybe by 10 months old and a reliable Leave It/ Drop it, he didn't need the "hoodie" any more. I had even ordered the next size up but we never even unpackaged it because the problem was no more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please try the Outfox Field Guard to be used until he has a reliable "Leave It" and "Drop It". Not to mention the money, a second surgery would be very serious health-wise for him.

As a puppy, my youngest golden put EVERYTHING in his mouth. I live in the country so there is no pavement anywhere nearby. Evening and night walks were especially dangerous even with a flashlight because sniffing the ground was hard to distinguish from picking something up in his mouth. And there is gravel, hickory nuts, sticks, etc basically everywhere.

My little guy also had surgeries - I've posted about them - and to save you from the trial and error of trying many alternatives, we found the Outfox Field Guard to be an amazing product. Totally comfortable while on, not restrictive, and he can even drink water while wearing. But he will not be able to ingest objects while walking with you.

Just work on obedience especially Leave It and Drop It. I used the OutFox Field Guard mostly at night until he was past the phase of trying to eat bad things outside. I can't remember exactly, but maybe by 10 months old and a reliable Leave It/ Drop it, he didn't need the "hoodie" any more. I had even ordered the next size up but we never even unpackaged it because the problem was no more.

i used something similar to this - a mesh muzzle. Mine figured out how to hold it steady and then chewed through it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I used a mesh muzzle also as well as other products before finding the Outfox Field Guard. I never let him chew on it, actually he didn't try. I suppose there is no one product that works for every dog but because my situation was serious, I was highly motivated to seek out a solution and this worked very well to prevent tragedy while we worked on training.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had to have our 7 month old puppy have a 1.5" rock surgically removed from his stomach. $2500. Hopefully Embrace pet insurance will pay for largest part. Anyone else have a rock hound? Any ideas to keep him from repeating from doing that? Very scary, he started to ignore his food, would only eat cat food and dirt. Thanks in advance.
I highly recommend Kingdom of Pets for your training needs - it's an online training program and covers basically everything you might need help with when training - including issues with eating sticks/rocks/etc. We had the same issue when training our 2 year old puppy Callie, and it was seriously a lifesaver! Kingdom of Pets Training

1 - 9 of 9 Posts