Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6-month old Golden Retriever
14 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 6-month old. One solution that seems to work for me is to ration a small part of his feed for his walks, watch him like a hawk (at least initially) during walks and offer him food as reward whenever he chooses not to eat food on the ground. To be fair, I hand feed my dog every single day and train him to leave food that falls to the ground and reward him well when he listens to me. Now, he seems to focus more on me than the ground because he expects some reward to appear whenever he is a "good boy".

This also seems to help with his leash pulling behaviour. This was also due to the "Heel" command that goes along with his training. All of these seem to help with his overall stone, glass, food on the ground eating behaviour but he still seems to eat grass when he goes to a lush garden and I'm trying to train him to avoid that too. Hope this helps and please do share if you found any methods that worked for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.