Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :) I have a 14 week old male Golden Retriever. Every time I take him outside he tries to eat Everything!! And it's things that could potentially be harmful for him--sticks, berries, leaves, dirt, shells and much more! I'm worried about a bowel perforation as he digests it. I remove the item from his mouth but occasionally he will give me a menacing growl, and I know removing things he really wants can potentiate resource guarding. I want him to be able to explore the outside and play with sticks, I just don't want him to EAT it! I'm at a loss on how to help this problem. "Leave it" doesn't really work as I don't think he knows what it means. Any help would be SO greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much :)

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
Hi :) I have a 14 week old male Golden Retriever. Every time I take him outside he tries to eat Everything!! And it's things that could potentially be harmful for him--sticks, berries, leaves, dirt, shells and much more! I'm worried about a bowel perforation as he digests it. I remove the item from his mouth but occasionally he will give me a menacing growl, and I know removing things he really wants can potentiate resource guarding. I want him to be able to explore the outside and play with sticks, I just don't want him to EAT it! I'm at a loss on how to help this problem. "Leave it" doesn't really work as I don't think he knows what it means. Any help would be SO greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much :)
You need to train "Leave It" :) keep him on a leash outside and be vigilant, spot problem items before he does and prevent him from going towards them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Get some bumpers for him to retrieve. Google search Dokkan, Avery, Lucky dog....
Work with him on retrieving those and or real birds and it will help distract him from the sticks, poop, etc.

·
Registered
6-month old Golden Retriever
14 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 6-month old. One solution that seems to work for me is to ration a small part of his feed for his walks, watch him like a hawk (at least initially) during walks and offer him food as reward whenever he chooses not to eat food on the ground. To be fair, I hand feed my dog every single day and train him to leave food that falls to the ground and reward him well when he listens to me. Now, he seems to focus more on me than the ground because he expects some reward to appear whenever he is a "good boy".

This also seems to help with his leash pulling behaviour. This was also due to the "Heel" command that goes along with his training. All of these seem to help with his overall stone, glass, food on the ground eating behaviour but he still seems to eat grass when he goes to a lush garden and I'm trying to train him to avoid that too. Hope this helps and please do share if you found any methods that worked for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
I use a 14" leash which gives me total control and Molly can't go after whatever she wants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts