Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I got Max the large size which seems to be an issue even though he measured correctly for that size. Issue number one: The belly strap is not long enough to put the metal rings where they should be. Issue number two: The chest part fits great when he's sitting but as soon as he stands up, it's too loose on the tightest setting.

UGH. So, I tried putting the harness on upside down as some people say they do - which somewhat fixes issue number one but does not help with issue number two!! I am assuming that when he pulls forward, the connecting part is not supposed to come all the way to the side!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. No other size would fix him I'm sure as one part is too small, and the other is too long. UGH.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If you really want to use an Easy Walk, Premier might be able to make you a custom sized harness (I had them do that for one of their regular harnesses). You could e-mail them ([email protected]) and see if they could make an Easy Walk with one size for the chest strap and one size for the around the body straps. When they made my custom harness it only cost a couple of dollars more than the regular sized harnesses.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
1) try contacting premier, they're fabulous.
2) Maybe try their "easy walk harness" instead. It is adjustable at five different parts. It has a ring on the front you can clip the leash to. I do not use EW anymore and just the sure fits... they are SO much easier to fit (..imagine that!), dogs do NOT get out of them, and they don't have that silly martingale piece.

There are also a ton of other types of front clip harnesses on the market.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Our trainer fitted Darby for his and also showed me how to walk him on it. Believe or not the large was too big for him, he has a Tween size and it is perfect, even with 4 extra pounds.

Are you sure you have the right size?

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Unless your dog is HUGE, the large is probably too big. They're harder to find, but a M/L will likely be a better fit.

But yes, if the dog is really pulling hard (in other words, he isn't that affected by the harness), you will get the D-ring way off to the side.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We use the Walk Your Dog With love front harness and the Soft Touch Concepts one and they fit true to size. The WYDWL is my fave. One size fits a huge range.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice - I will contact the company. Max is over 80 pounds and is a tall, big dog! I am thinking that maybe part of the problem is he has not filled out yet. I am super bummed because I was thinking this would be such a great help. He's pulling less but he still pulls. Oh well. Thanks for the tips - hoping the company can help me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts