Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been looking for a breeder for the past couple of months but I have had no luck in being contacted back. I'll contact breeders but I don't usually get a response and I am running out of reputable breeders to contact. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for breeders? I am looking to make this dog a service dog and so I would take him/her with me everywhere. If anybody has any referrals please let me know! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. It is a difficult time to be seeking a puppy. I’ve moved your thread to an area of the Forum where you may get more responses.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,808 Posts
If you want a service dog, I'm not sure you should be looking at field Golden breeders. First, they are unlikely to sell you a puppy if you won't be doing field work with it. Second, their energy and drive is not always conducive to the kind of centered and patient personalities most service dogs need.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Most reputable breeders, regardless of their venue, have gotten gunshy about buyers who are looking for service dog prospects. It's not an insult. It's the fact that so many people wanting a service dog prospect intend to self-train, or are using a trainer that has sparse credentials for that type of purpose, or the prospective buyer really doesn't understand what it takes to raise and train a successful service dog. To be blunt, our responsibility is ALWAYS to our puppies, and my first question is always going to be, " What happens if this dog washes out?" The fact is that for even long-standing organizations like Guide Dogs or The Seeing Eye, the washout rate exceeds the success rate when looking at health and trainability. Anyone who is willing to sell you a puppy should be asking you that question. If they don't, you should be asking yourself why they aren't concerned about the puppy's future, and realize that they probably aren't a reputable breeder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts