Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Easily Tired?

Tags
rest time
1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jennifer1 
#1 ·
Hey!

Are your goldens easily tired? When playing hard I mean. I always thought Goldens were supposed to have a lot of stamina but Koda isn't part of that population.

We get her together with other dogs for play dates and she runs and runs hard for about 10-15 minutes and then she goes to lay down and rest for a bit. After a little rest she will get up and play again...and this continues the rest of the play time. I always thought they could go go go but she seems to need her rest.

Just wondered if other's goldens were like this or if mine is the exception! :)

#6 ·
Can we trade dogs for a day or so? (j/k) I love my puppy, and I'm sure it's b/c he's a puppy but OMG that boy has so much energy, I could power my entire neighborhood if only he'd stay on that dang wheel!

He played for close to two hours (hard play with intermittent breaks for me, lol) and he was just still so wound up. Normally, he'll play play play play play then crash on the couch with me for a nap. But not lately.

Whew!

#9 ·
She is self limiting - a good thing! She is displaying calming signals. Dogs use these behaviors to calm themselves or their environment down. If play gets too rough or over exciting for them, the dog will put themselves in a 'time out'. It can help keep the over all energy level of the playgroup from getting too out of hand. Excellent dog language skills on her behalf, acknowledge and reward her for it.

#11 ·
Kenzie is like that also. I was a little concerned since one of her littermates has a grade 3 heart murmur. (Kenzie checks out fine)
I mentioned it to my breeder and she said that most of the dogs on one side of Kenzie's lines are just really laid back that way. She said she was concerned with the first dog of that line she had, but they'd all been the picture of health, just really calm and laid back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.