Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to do some reading on ear infections. A family member has a golden that he picked up as a rescue several years ago. the dog (Fritz) has been to the vet (same one I use) several times for CONSTANT yeast infections in the ears. the vet has suggested (without testing anything) the possibility that there is a tumor in his worst ear. I know changes have been made to food but I don't know if it was from one cheap food to another. I know when I spoke to the same vet about my dog having mild ear infections He gave very few options. basically steroids were right after food changes. allergy tests were never mentioned. Fritz's owner has used hydrogen peroxide to clean out the ears and claims if they do it daily it seems to help. My question was without an allergy panel would giving antihistamines give an indication of whether it was an allergy problem or a physical ear canal issue??

It's really too bad as the dog is such a lovable boy and his ears smell so horrible that no one wants anything to do with him

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have a dog who had chronic ear infections, that went on for 4 years, nothing would clear it up, had him allergy tested and he tested out to be allergic to 38 things out of 50 all environmental.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
They might have the dog's thyroid tested. Hypothyroidism can cause constant ear infections.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I wouldn't think there is a tumor in an ear based on constant infections unless the vet is actually visualizing it on exam. Is it possible the vet said something to the effect of the dog has a "defect" in the ear canal predisposing him to infections because things get trapped in the ear easier?

Like Maggies mom, one of my dogs had chronic infections and it turned out he was allergic to environmental allergens only, nothing food related. We were able to develop a plan of action once we knew. It included ear flushing (vet showed us how), OTC antibiotics and in a bad pollen situation, hydroxyzine.

Also, Finn's Fan has a good point about the thyroid testing.

If the dog has excess fur in the inner ear flap, you can trim it to cool the interior ear down a bit and keep it cleaner.

I'd be concerned about pure hydrogen peroxide for cleaning. Our acupuncture vet suggested a mixture of distilled water, vinegar and a few drops of rubbing alcohol. It worked great (we used cotton balls to thoroughly dry after treatment) and it's also a great all around household cleaner.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
When it was my dog.... In addition to trimming excess hair on the inner ear flap...I heavily trimmed:
the the hair along the neck under the ear...
the hair in front of the ear along the face as well as behind the ear... and the fluffy hair on the outer ear flap...

Gosh I can only imagine the pain from peroxide washes....there are so many other washes that are effective & painless.... :-(

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeast is a difficult problem to get rid of in a dog ears. Some dogs seem to be overly sensitive to salmon based dog foods and when the food is changed, the yeast problem seems to go away.

Cleaning the dogs ears is important but I wouldn't recommend using peroxide on a daily basis. There are other products available(we actually use witch hazel in a pinch) and if you are going to use something that is commercially made as a product for dogs, make sure that it doesn't have water in it. Many of the solutions do have water in them and this just keeps the problem going as we want the ear to be clean and dry.

Another wonderful product that I have found is Zymox Otic. There are a lot of products made by Zymox but the one mentioned above is specifically for yeast issues. We have a 12 plus year old dog that has starting getting some yeast in his ears in the last year and this product has been wonderful. You also do not clean the ears so it is very user friendly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts