Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Chester to the vets today for his regular yearly check up....and told vet I think he has ear infection. After ear slide cytology $34.50 (yes it was a yeast infection), Corium ear cleanser $10.82, and Tri-Otic Ointment $35.91 total $81.23 and that was the cost for just the ears!!! :( On top of Cost of exam, letpo vaccine, lyme vaccine, kennel cough, heartworm test, and heartworm meds, and welactin canine that I give both Chester and Murphy everyday ..... so anyway ..... If I am never heard from again on the GRForum it's because I am in jail for robbing a bank so I can pay my vet bill!!! :( I know their are cheaper vets in the area but we really like this practice....whats a doggy mommy to do?
I know I saw homemade ear infection information on the forum before...anyone have that recipe? Not that it will do much for this infection but I will keep it handy if he ever get another. Thanks just wanted to vent ....

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I know the feeling, those vet bills add up quickly!

1 tube Monistat (generic is fine)
1 tube Polysporin (use the real deal - it's inexpensive)
1 tube Cortaid (generic works here as well)

Use tubes of similar size. Mix all three together in a container that can be closed well. It takes a bit to incorporate because the Polysporin is a bit like Vaseline. Once incorporated, it stays mixed.

If ears are gunky, inflamed or smell bad, start with using a pea sized dollop twice a day. Use your finger to gently push it into the ear. Rub. Dogs will only shake their heads once or twice! It's a creamy, very soothing mixture. Once you have the ears under control, lessen how often you use it till you're only using it once a week. Once a week keeps ears from getting bad again.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Thanks for posting this recipe! Our newest rescue Sammy apparently has had chronic ear infections his whole life that were never treated so I have been instructed by our vet to clean his ears three times a week for the rest of his life. Right now I'm using the Corium but this sounds like it would be so much better for him. I'm definitely going to give it a try!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Took Chester to the vets today for his regular yearly check up....and told vet I think he has ear infection. After ear slide cytology $34.50 (yes it was a yeast infection), Corium ear cleanser $10.82, and Tri-Otic Ointment $35.91 total $81.23 and that was the cost for just the ears!!! :( On top of Cost of exam, letpo vaccine, lyme vaccine, kennel cough, heartworm test, and heartworm meds, and welactin canine that I give both Chester and Murphy everyday ..... so anyway ..... If I am never heard from again on the GRForum it's because I am in jail for robbing a bank so I can pay my vet bill!!! :( I know their are cheaper vets in the area but we really like this practice....whats a doggy mommy to do?
I know I saw homemade ear infection information on the forum before...anyone have that recipe? Not that it will do much for this infection but I will keep it handy if he ever get another. Thanks just wanted to vent ....
Janine, I know what you mean! With having 4 dogs it seems like I'm working just to pay the vet bills! So I'm always looking for safe, alternative remedies too!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the recipe...I printed it and will keep it in my vet file so I am really for next time.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
That's Heather's (Arcane) ear recipe from her vet and it is supposed to get both bacterial and yeast infections, so should work for virtually all ear problems.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Use it here. What a life and money saver!!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
That's Heather's (Arcane) ear recipe from her vet and it is supposed to get both bacterial and yeast infections, so should work for virtually all ear problems.
Thanks Linda for posting where it came from, I saved it and couldnt remember who it came from... I have used it for yeast and it worked well.. didnt for bacterial.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes .... I knew I had seen the recipe. Thank you, Maggies Mom, Tahnee and Arcane for the recipe. I wasn't really sure he had infection,( I was cleaning them lots but have never had ear problems with other dogs) his ears were dirty but he didn't act like they bother him so I really didn't think much about it. It was a mild infection so I guess it was caught early and I will know better next time and go the cheaper route.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Thanks Linda for posting where it came from, I saved it and couldnt remember who it came from... I have used it for yeast and it worked well.. didnt for bacterial.
I have 3 right now with gunky ears and went out and got this stuff right away. I really like being able to use it without worrying yeast vs bacterial.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have 3 right now with gunky ears and went out and got this stuff right away. I really like being able to use it without worrying yeast vs bacterial.
I use it for the yeast.. My vet mixes baytril and t8 keto flush for bacterial..works like a charm.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts