Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear this little girl is just out for our money lol...totally worth it though!!

I am pretty sure Koda has an ear infection, shaking head and scratching ear...so we have an appt this afternoon to get medication.

Have any of you dealt with this, I know it is common in GR...not sure what we did wrong that she got one. We clean her ears regularly...

How long does it take for the medications to work, I feel terrible for her..

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I battled major ear infections with my Cruiser, and it turned out he had major allergies. With meds from the vet it should take about 10 days to clear up.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've dealt with it many times with my Angelina. When she was young she got 'elephant ear' where a blood vessel bursts from scratching too much. That ear is more prone to infections.

The issue with her was all the swimming we do.

A few things I've found out over the years:

1. Quality of dog food is essential. When I switched her to Wellness no grain/no chicken food (because of Cannella) her ears improved 100%.

2. Vet needs to give you the right antibiotic. They won't give you any without looking at the ear first...taking a sample so see what the bacteria is helps as well. When we found the 'right' ear antibiotic for her it cleared up. Previous ones prolonged it.

3. You have to learn to clean them correctly and again the vet can show you how.

Good luck and I am glad you are going to the vet! K

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie (now at the Bridge) had chronic ear infections her first year until I finally figured out it was a sensitivity to corn.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Our first Golden used to get them frequently too whe she was young. We had to be very careful to clean them well after swimming or she'd be sure to get one.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dog had what seemed like constant ear infections until I finally found the perfect food for him. Now his ears are fine.

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
My Frazier had Chronic Ear Infections, I purchased a product from Amazon called Zymox both the cleanser and the drops and he never had another issue. this after $$$$ in Vet bills for the same recurring infections. I would also agree quality food will make a world of difference. So Far I have had NO issues with Tucker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts