Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone's dog had to have surgery for an ear hematoma, Storm had to on Wednesday and its freaked me out, I'm worried his ear will look odd once the hair grows back, it does seem to be healing well, need to keep the cone on until stitches are out at least, but I'm more freaked than him.
Any care advice from dog parents that have had this surgery done.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Our girl got one when she shook her head as she walked through a doorway and banged her ear. The vet made a cut on the hematoma and placed an oval piece of plastic, similar to what milk jugs are made of, on the back side of the ear. He then stitched the drained ear hematoma to the plastic on the other side. Of course, this was all done in sterile conditions and the ear was numbed. We put a collar on her so she wouldn't mess up the ear. In a couple of weeks (as I recall?) we went in and had it all taken off. The ear turned out to look perfectly normal other than you could see some of the stitch marks on the inside of the ear. Nothing else was visible. She never had another issue like that.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I completely disagree with drains and stitching ear hematomas. Years ago I had a vet that treated them with steroids. Prednisone. I thought my vet was crazy. She’s a golden retriever person too. The ear hematoma goes away super quick and within a few days is gone. I had a boy that would get them in both ears at the same time. Prednisone did the trick every time. No mess and no expense of drains and stitches.
Next time you get an ear hematoma, try prednisone.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I've sadly had far too much experience with ear hematomas, and fully agree with Alaska that surgeries and drains are overkill. I've never had surgery done on a dog for this, but tried a drain once and it was messy, long and not particularly effective. The best resolution we ever got was with a cortisone injection into the hematoma; it cleared up in a couple of days, left a bit of wrinkling behind but nothing visible. Duster's hematoma drain was traumatic for both of us. I eventually had the drain removed (after a week or so) and let the hematoma resolve on its own. You can feel a bump on his ear now, but there are no visible consequences.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My last golden had a hematoma in each ear from ear infections. She was on prednisone, and had them drained, but they kept filling back up. So the vet put a drain in her ear and each time it stayed for about 3 weeks. It was not messy, and she did not try to scratch them out. After it was removed, she was switched to a raw diet and never had another ear infection or hot spot, and you couldn't tell she had the hematoma except for a small lump on the underside of her ear flap.

Reactions: Alaska7133

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've sadly had far too much experience with ear hematomas, and fully agree with Alaska that surgeries and drains are overkill. I've never had surgery done on a dog for this, but tried a drain once and it was messy, long and not particularly effective. The best resolution we ever got was with a cortisone injection into the hematoma; it cleared up in a couple of days, left a bit of wrinkling behind but nothing visible. Duster's hematoma drain was traumatic for both of us. I eventually had the drain removed (after a week or so) and let the hematoma resolve on its own. You can feel a bump on his ear now, but there are no visible consequences.
Wish I had known that doing nothing was an option when our Golden had one from hitting her ear on a door. The surgery went fine, and it never reoccurred, but I would have preferred to not put her through that and not spending the money for surgery. That vet is now retired, if any of our current Goldens should get one, I will not what to do...

Thanks to all for sharing, this is another area this Forum is so good for!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Wish I had known that doing nothing was an option when our Golden had one from hitting her ear on a door. The surgery went fine, and it never reoccurred, but I would have preferred to not put her through that and not spending the money for surgery. That vet is now retired, if any of our current Goldens should get one, I will not what to do...

Thanks to all for sharing, this is another area this Forum is so good for!
Doing nothing was an option in our case because the hematoma wasn't huge by that time - it had been draining for a week - and it didn't seem painful for the dog. The cortisone injection had worked like magic for Ruby but weirdly the vet treating Duster didn't want to go down that route. I hated the drain and would not ever do that again.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
It crinkles their ear a bit. I tried having my dog’s ear drained. It came back within hours. I just let it go and it went away. She has one big wrinkle in it now. I feel like the outcome depends on the thickness of the ear leather. I had a cat get one and his ear was folded over after.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
As I commented, our vet drained the hematoma and then put stitches through the ear, around the hematoma area, with all attached to a sterile piece of plastic he laid against on the back side of her ear before suturing. We kept her in a cone until the stitches were removed. During the healing time she quickly adapted to wearing the cone and we had no issues. After he took out the stitches the ear was fine, no real scares or deformity. She never had another hematoma!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts