Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyoen know if ear flushing is necessary to begin treatment of ear infections.

Long story short Cody has had cronic ear infectiosn since August. He has had one ear flush at the vet, then I thought the infection was gone. I took him for his neuter at a spay and neuter clinic and they told me he had ear infection in both ears. They just sent me home with Surolan and did not flush out his ears.
His one left ear is horribly infected again(never quite healed since his neuter anyway) I have been giving him the Surolan again.
But I was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.
I called the spay and neuter clinic this morning to see if a flush is necessary(because they didn't do it) I am still waiting to hear back from them.

We have changed his food in hopes the infections go away soon!

·
16,000 Posts
I'm not a fan of frequent flushing. I'd ask that it be cultured, it may be yeast and would need to be treated with a non-anitbiotic preparation. If he's having frequent, chronic ear problems, I'd look at running a thyroid panel, as this is one of the more common symptoms of hypothyroidism. Remember that "low normal" is actually low for a Golden.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well I am not sure if this will help but I will try.
With Borzoi when they are young, they have what we call " flying nun" ears. And add mine love mud holes! My parents had cavaliers ( notorious for ear infections) so I did what they did.
I take cotton balls and use hydrogen perioxide. Pour the hydro into a little container and put a few cotton balls in it. Wipe the ear inside, then take a dry cotton ball to wipe out again. Now the hydro dries the ears and by lifting the ear, your finger can go pretty deep gently. Then add tri-opic ( you can get it from the vet) a little squart and rub the ear and this stops yeast infections as well..
Now if the first cotton ball is dirty-repeat first step- do it again and again, until the cotton ball becomes clean. Then add the tri=opic
Does this help?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am not sure if this will help but I will try.
With Borzoi when they are young, they have what we call " flying nun" ears. And add mine love mud holes! My parents had cavaliers ( notorious for ear infections) so I did what they did.
I take cotton balls and use hydrogen perioxide. Pour the hydro into a little container and put a few cotton balls in it. Wipe the ear inside, then take a dry cotton ball to wipe out again. Now the hydro dries the ears and by lifting the ear, your finger can go pretty deep gently. Then add tri-opic ( you can get it from the vet) a little squart and rub the ear and this stops yeast infections as well..
Now if the first cotton ball is dirty- do it again and again, until the cotton ball becomes clean.
Does this help?
I have been cleaning out his ears for forever and the gunk and infections just come back, which makes me think it is food related.

He has only had one ear flush at the vet clinic and that was in August.
I was told he had yeast infection in both ears and was given Surolan.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a fan of frequent flushing. I'd ask that it be cultured, it may be yeast and would need to be treated with a non-anitbiotic preparation. If he's having frequent, chronic ear problems, I'd look at running a thyroid panel, as this is one of the more common symptoms of hypothyroidism. Remember that "low normal" is actually low for a Golden.
What are the other symptoms of hypothyroidism?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have been cleaning out his ears for forever and the gunk and infections just come back, which makes me think it is food related.

He has only had one ear flush at the vet clinic and that was in August.
I was told he had yeast infection in both ears and was given Surolan.
Hmmm well does your food have corn in it? That can cause it..

·
16,000 Posts
If you are looking for a home remedy for cleaning, as opposed to treating an ear infection (infections should be diagnosed by a vet for cause in order to properly treat), Listerine is a wonderful all purpose solution for cleaning Golden's ears. It is drying, and an antiseptic. Listerine (or the store brand version of the amber colored Listerine) is a great multi-purpose product to have in your dog first-aid kit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm well does your food have corn in it? That can cause it..
No, he was on Wellness Super5mix with rice and oats, but we have recently switched to Acana Grasslands which is Lamb based and no grains. It has only been a couple of weeks and I know the food wont heal the old infection so it is too soon to tel if the food is making any difference.

I have a vet appointment tonight to help clear it up. I just don't know if at this point I should go with internal meds since the Surolan clearly is not working.
He has always had the gunk so I am wondering if he does have a thyroid issue.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can see hot spots or other skin problems, a "fuzzy" looking coat, lethargy, weight gain even though not eating much. Some or all of these symptoms may be present, or none, even, in the early stages.
He doesn't have any of those other symptoms. But he has always had hot ears.

I might consider the test, I will see what the vet says, although I know they will never turn down an opertunity to do a blood test, lol

·
16,000 Posts
He doesn't have any of those other symptoms. But he has always had hot ears.

I might consider the test, I will see what the vet says, although I know they will never turn down an opertunity to do a blood test, lol
It should be a complet panel, including free T3 and free T4, and seriously, even if it is low normal, supplementation is indicated in a Golden. It is breed specific. If there are concerns, have Dr. Jean Dodds read the results and make a recommendation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeast infection or ear infection?

Reading this post I wonder about Moses's ears. His ears are always hot but I figured it was from being the only place with no hair so it felt warmer. Recently his one ear has a lot of dark waxy stuff in it and the skin is pretty red. He does not scratch it-it does not seem to bother him. My daughters dogs get yeast infections in their ears and she gives them plain yogurt and it seems to help. Wonder if this is an infection or yeast?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It should be a complet panel, including free T3 and free T4, and seriously, even if it is low normal, supplementation is indicated in a Golden. It is breed specific. If there are concerns, have Dr. Jean Dodds read the results and make a recommendation.
Who is Dr. Jean Dodds?

·
16,000 Posts
Reading this post I wonder about Moses's ears. His ears are always hot but I figured it was from being the only place with no hair so it felt warmer. Recently his one ear has a lot of dark waxy stuff in it and the skin is pretty red. He does not scratch it-it does not seem to bother him. My daughters dogs get yeast infections in their ears and she gives them plain yogurt and it seems to help. Wonder if this is an infection or yeast?
I feed probiotics, which provides all of the beneficial bacteria (PLUS) that you are getting in yougurt, but in amounts that you can never feed enough yogurt to get. Since doing so, I have had no ear infections, gas, side effects when using antibiotics, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like an infection to me. My other dog has nice clean ears that are never red. Cody's one ear is fine right now but his left ear is horribly red and gunky.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feed probiotics, which provides all of the beneficial bacteria (PLUS) that you are getting in yougurt, but in amounts that you can never feed enough yogurt to get. Since doing so, I have had no ear infections, gas, side effects when using antibiotics, etc.
can you use human probiotic pills(powder inside caps)? we use DDS in the house, I am wondering if I could give Cody this as well?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Having a dog with thyroid problems they are usually cold in temp if a low thyroid.
Since you are on wellness, my guess is just a yeast infection that never cleared out.. They are hard to get rid of for sure!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It definitely needs to be cultured. We had Tucker's ears cultured and it turned out to be yeast and some other bacteria. The vet put him on a 2-week course of Tri-Otic ointment. The combination of that and switching him to California Natural herring and sweet potato has helped drastically and we haven't had any more flare-ups.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts