Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Ear cleaner?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mesuezee 
#1 ·
I have to get an ear cleaner for Magoo. My breeder had suggested R-7. Any opinions on what works well? TIA!

#2 ·
I Use T8 Keto on Crockett. I started using it after a fungal infection about a year ago. I squirt some in both ears once a week usually after his bath. His ears are clean all the time. I did get it from the Vet though. Goldens seem to get fungal infections of their ears frequently especially in warm humid climates

#3 ·
I really like the Vet Solutions ear cleaner. I use it weekly after baths and it does a great job of cleaning and drying. You just squirt it in (generously), rub at the base of the ear, and then let them shake.

#6 ·
Ok, I have built up a collection of ear meds... So I brought them all in to my vet and we went over what I should be using... From the four I had at the time, these were his comments...

Dr. Foster and Smith - Great for Regular Maintenance
R-7 / Step 2 - Especially good for after swimming, but not for maintenance
ChlorhexiDerm - Do not use, can cause deafness with overuse... Can use as first aid for cuts
T8 Keto Ear Flush - Great for regular maintenance, also mild bacteria

#7 ·
Arcane posted the following ear med info here about a month ago:
"Healthy Ear Recipe

"1 tube Monistat (generic is fine)
1 tube Polysporin (use the real deal - it's inexpensive)
1 tube Cortaid (generic works here as well)

"Use tubes of similar size. Mix all three together in a container that can
be closed well. It takes a bit to incorporate because the Polysporin is a
bit like Vaseline. Once incorporated, it stays mixed.

"If ears are gunky, inflamed or smell bad, start with using a pea sized
dollop twice a day. Use your finger to gently push it into the ear. Rub.
Dogs will only shake their heads once or twice! It's a creamy, very
soothing mixture. Once you have the ears under control, lessen how often
you use it till you're only using it once a week. Once a week keeps ears
from getting bad again.

"My doctor (human) is the one that came up with this as her dogs were having ear issues that weren't really under control from the things her vet was prescribing! Anyone that I know that has gone to using it has had
remarkable results and the dogs are much happier and SAFER than using
anything with alcohol in it. I was told by my vet that alcohol just dries
the ear out - which includes drying out the ear drum AND that if there is
even the tiniest of perforations in that ear drum, it can let alcohol down
into the middle ear where it can do permanent damage. That's why this cream is SOOOOO good! There's nothing "liquid" about it. It goes in and melts it's way down to where it's needed. No alcohol to cause drying or damage and it will take care of anything yeast, bacterial etc..."

#8 ·
Arcane's Recipe is not for routine, regular maintenance but when there is an infection going on. Jo uses it routinely ( if I remember right) since Daisy has a chronic infection situation going on, but other than that save those meds for when they are needed. BTW... it's great when needed.

#9 ·
I have used a homemade solution for regular maintainence for the past 10 years
4 parts 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
1 Part White distilled vinegar
and I mix in Boric Acid powder till the solution is saturated (the powder stops disloving)

Give a good shake each time before using, squirt in ear and wipe ear with a cotton ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.