Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

E-Collar Training

1886 Views 44 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  xRoan
So Teddy just recently turned 1 and he is a pretty well trained dog but I am wondering about the use of an E-collar and if it can benefit our training. We go on a lot of hikes and to swimming holes but I can't fully trust him to not run somewhere if he becomes distracted (ex. if he sees a coyote of something he might just run after it, it has never happened but im just scared). With the safety of e-collar recall training I feel like the recall would reach a level were I could trust him more which would lead him to being off leash more in turn benefiting him. Do any of use e-collar training and what resources can I use in order to learn how to use on properly.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
You will get mixed opinions. Your best bet is to find a trainer in your area to help you out.

Despite what everyone says, there is no way to positively enforce an e-collar when the stim setting is used. This doesn't mean that he'll be fearful of it, necessarily, but it will be a negative reinforcer. I have, however, positively reinforced the tone on the collar.. when used correctly I am pro-ecollar, but many disagree.

Reactions: Sankari

· Registered
799 Posts
IMO, the best place to start for beginners. $97. (I am not connected to Connie Cleveland's training school and get no financial benefit from this recommendation.)

· the party's crashing us
4,911 Posts
An ecollar can function in exactly the way you wish which is to make for a very reliable dog off-leash.
Despite what many will say, ecollar conditioning is not difficult if you follow the advice of a good trainer or training resource. The Connie Cleveland online guide posted above would be excellent.
You get what you pay for when it comes to pricing ecollars.
Using an ecollar in a reasonable manner will not make your dog fearful. Every dog in my house is collar conditioned for at least a recall. They are stable, confident dogs.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Do any of use e-collar training and what resources can I use in order to learn how to use on properly.
99.99% of all field trial trainers use e-collars (100% of the successful ones do)
Also if I properly use it would there still be a risk of making him fearful?
No, like any properly used training tool, he will be excited to see it.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Just one last question I see a lot of people saying to introduce it very early on like 6 month but my dog i about to be 1year and 2 months old that’s ok right?

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Just one last question I see a lot of people saying to introduce it very early on like 6 month but my dog i about to be 1year and 2 months old that’s ok right?
That doesn't matter at all.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
E-collars (the right ones, trained correctly with), are awesome. When my breeder posts videos of her and 9 to a dozen goldens out running in a field, all of them have on e-collars. The good e-collars aren't meant to be painful, per say, but what they do is get the dogs attention. The training videos I've watched seem like the trainers actually are using the e-collar to train the dog that the vibration means good things. So they feel the vibration, they immediately head back to their owner, which is what you want them to do.

· the party's crashing us
4,911 Posts
The good e-collars aren't meant to be painful,
Yes, they absolutely are meant to be painful. That's the whole point. If they didn't hurt, it wouldn't work.

per say, but what they do is get the dogs attention. The training videos I've watched seem like the trainers actually are using the e-collar to train the dog that the vibration means good things. So they feel the vibration, they immediately head back to their owner, which is what you want them to do.
I never use the vibrate function. Yes, you can classically condition a dog that the vibration means reward, but it will fall apart the second the dog wants something else more (i.e. to chase that deer). Some people may use a vibrate first then a stim if it doesn't "work," but I prefer not to "count to ten" with my dogs -- I want them to respond to my command the first time, every time, so I don't give hints or warnings with the collar.

Yelling gets the dog's attention just as well as the vibrate function. Anyone who says the vibrate or tone is all they needed for their dog, is either lying, or their dog is a complete wimp.

• Haha
Reactions: SRW

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Yes, they absolutely are meant to be painful. That's the whole point. If they didn't hurt, it wouldn't work.
:ROFLMAO:
Some of the time, especially with a young dog, a low nick from the e collar is a reminder to be good. That is the teaching phase. Once the dog knows the task, consequences have to outweigh the temptation of disobedience. Too many mild collar corrections are amount to nagging and will teach the dog to ignore you.

This is where you really need to know your dogs and read their intent.

· Registered
2,103 Posts

I never use the vibrate function. Yes, you can classically condition a dog that the vibration means reward, but it will fall apart the second the dog wants something else more (i.e. to chase that deer). Some people may use a vibrate first then a stim if it doesn't "work," but I prefer not to "count to ten" with my dogs -- I want them to respond to my command the first time, every time, so I don't give hints or warnings with the collar.

Yelling gets the dog's attention just as well as the vibrate function. Anyone who says the vibrate or tone is all they needed for their dog, is either lying, or their dog is a complete wimp.
Maybe your idea of painful and mine are different, but a mini educator on my neck at level 80 isn't "painful". Uncomfortable, sure, on my bare skin. I wouldn't call it painful.
I also prefer my dogs to want to come to me, rather than forcing it, and I would never allow my dogs to be offleash without a solid recall. I am also not field training. My dogs are out having fun, and when I need them to come back, they come back.
And yelling at a dog who is 20 acres away from you on a windy day is definitely less effective than a vibration on a collar.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
I am also not field training. My dogs are out having fun, and when I need them to come back, they come back.
If you were field training, your dogs would be having more fun.
And yelling at a dog who is 20 acres away from you on a windy day is definitely less effective than a vibration on a collar.
That’s what whistles are for.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
If you were field training, your dogs would be having more fun.

That’s what whistles are for.
Sorry. My dogs are having fun. They don't even know what field training is. They know they're running around our 40 acres, sniffing the smells and getting dirty. Not all dogs, or people, need to being doing a job all the time.

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Sorry. My dogs are having fun. They don't even know what field training is. They know they're running around our 40 acres, sniffing the smells and getting dirty. Not all dogs, or people, need to being doing a job all the time.
I'm only adding this to the conversation because I feel there is a misconception amongst people that do not train for hunt or field regarding it being work. My dogs live on a farm. We have a pond for training and for play. I do Rally, Obedience, Conformation, and primarily hunt train. My dogs are the absolute most excited when they see an e-collar, transmitter, or whistle come out. These three items trump any person that could come to the door or any treat. My conformation boy barks and jumps in happy circles every single time I get his e-collar out. I've never found anything that excites any of my dogs more than the prospect of going out to hunt train. The only close second is the chukit stick and glow ball at night in the summer time.

I do not love running hunt tests. I do like the time I spend training my dogs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts