Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Kate
23,772 Posts
Randomness -

This I thought was an interesting article and informative for people like me who think ecollar = shock collar. I'm not sure if the collars he's referring to are the same that people here have used or which the OP just bought. What he has to say about how the collars are used for training is actually a lot more helpful than many of the comments we see on this forum over and over and over.

Fwiw - I found this article because I was literally looking up "are herding dogs trained with ecollars". :) I was curious because most people with herding breeds send their dogs out to do all that stuff and I've never heard any mention ecollars. I'm not in that dog community so have no feelers out at all.

Admittedly, most of the people I have heard about "sending away to herding" are show people who are not fully living in that herding world and the impression is the dogs are tested for instincts and not necessarily doing trials.

And reason why I was looking this up was because I saw the below video earlier today and was wondering on seeing this right after all the yacking here, if these dogs were trained using ecollars. <= I actually am still wondering, but at least based on the above article and others that I read, the answer is yes.

Was int'resting. :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
are you saying you no longer use an ecollar when taking your dog out off leash anywhere?
I use e collars for training, I do not put them on every time I take the dogs outside.
Hildae graciously provided you with an out with her comment
No idea what you are talking about but I am grateful that Hidae has my back.
you were saying the OP on this thread will not have to use an ecollar very long to achieve results
Not very long, much less than three years.
Like - you were essentially saying that Diane's golden or Kelly's goldens no longer need an ecollar when out in the woods or countryside - because with an ecollar training, each has already been trained to the same degree that my dog had been just using leash training and regular obedience training.
I essentially made no comment on those dogs.

his owner electrocuted him
He killed the dog??
people who are cruel when using ecollars.
Unjustly correcting a dog with any training tool is cruel, and ignorant.

·
Kate
23,772 Posts
Not very long, much less than three years.
And then you get to retire the ecollar and never use it again? Awesome sauce. :)

Then I suppose it is an excellent tool for everyone to use. Use for "not very long" and retire it once the dog is trained to be biddable off leash and trustworthy in various situations. Good job. Inspirational. ;)

Here's a blurry winking dog as a reward (LOL).

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
And then you get to retire the ecollar and never use it again? Awesome sauce. :)
I suppose you could if basic obedience was your only goal.

I was thinking, if it takes 2 or 3 years to properly train a dog just to be trusted off leash (no shortcuts) how old are the dogs running in the NARC right now?

·
Kate
23,772 Posts
how old are the dogs running in the NARC right now?
Confession -

I had no idea what NARC was..... other than the slang.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

No offense, but I think the topic has run its course. We have gone far from discussing what can be done to train a dog so he gets to enjoy being off leash and running in fields and whatnot.... without the owner losing control of their dog.

My suggestion is train your dog and depending on setbacks that occur, those may cause delays prior to you reaching a point where you can relax and just enjoy the sight of your dogs running free. Any time your dog goes bonzai and runs to meet the world and plays keep away Bob with you, that is a setback to training.

Playtime in fields to me is not the same thing as a dog working. Just like my dogs never work when we are out walking - because that's their time. But you kept mixing the completely separate things (offleash leisure dog time x working dog time) while trying to keep your favorite arguments going. That's your world to live in, I guess.

If we are strictly talking about basic obedience.... with Jacks, his long line was retired by the time he was 2. Never needed it again. The next boy - I'd planned on raising the same way, but discovered that it wasn't necessary right from day one. He was incredibly easy to raise out on the trails and in the fields, off leash and all. His sons were even easier - which amazed me because I was prepared for hell with a new pup and a 12 month old. :)

For me - when I train the dogs for basic obedience and trustworthy stuff.... it's all, get it right the first time... and have fun when you can see you can trust your dog to be a good boy. And I've admitted freely, it's a lot easier when you have older dogs to help imprint manners and rules on the babies.

Somebody who is raising one dog at a time and it's just them, they've got a lot of work on their hands. More so if this is their first dog. More so if they are inconsistent and constantly jumping ahead before they check all the boxes each step of the way. It's the tough route.

If you feel the need to argue and dig into all this, that's less about me and more about you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just as an FYI, I’m not interested in the upcoming competition of whose dog is the best trained. :ROFLMAO:

And that’s not me insulting Logan. I realize some trainers here are much better and more experienced.

I’ve not thought about when I won’t use an e-collar on Logan when we are in situations where I now use one. I think in an off leash hiking or up in the mountains around bears situation, I will continue to use one.
I wanna sign up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure this has been suggested somewhere here, so please forgive me for reiterating. Have you considered a spray collar? We have the old version that includes a beep and have trained our dogs to respond to the beep as a correction, making the "spray" component almost unnecessary. We also use lots of positive reinforcement but found that not all behaviors can be corrected with this because they are inherently rewarding (i.e. counter-surfing for food). We try to keep the remote out of our dog's site so she doesn't associate the beep with us but with the behavior. We've done this with three of our dogs and all have been good girls who love people.

·
the party's crashing us
4,612 Posts
OMG if all the people who have never used an ecollar and have no intention of ever using an ecollar would have not responded on this thread about ecollars, the post would be one page long.

Reactions: SRW

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
OMG if all the people who have never used an ecollar and have no intention of ever using an ecollar would have not responded on this thread about ecollars, the post would be one page long.
On the other hand, if everyone that never will or has used an e collar but knows everything about them had posted just once, the thread would be hundreds of pages long.

·
the party's crashing us
4,612 Posts
Of course -- but I would encourage you to take opinions for what they are worth...from experience or conjecture...

·
Registered
3 Posts
May the people who've never used an e-collar at least be allowed to read the thread? We might learn something....what to do, what not to do.......
Is this how people usually communicate in this forum? I thought golden retriever owners would be as nice as their dogs--maybe not!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts