Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Kate
23,757 Posts
For what it's worth, I own an e collar and it goes from 1 to 100 in levels. I can put it at 100 and shock myself and it's not what I'd call painful. I refused to put it on my dog until I was experienced with what the levels felt like on me first. I will not do anything that is harmful to my dog. Nothing is worth hurting them.
Random question - can you put it around the neck and do the same?

I've always wondered when I see people bragging about zapping themselves. LOL.

The one time I got zapped, it was when I was walking a neighbor's dog back home after he'd run through their I/F. I had taken the dog's collar off and was just carrying in my right hand while hanging onto the buckle collar (from my dogs since the dog just had the shock collar on) with my left hand. If I'd been thinking, I would have thrown the collar into the yard vs carrying it across the line, but I was focused on getting the dog home and pretty furious at the owners. The shock went up my arm and through me. It was worse than touching the electric wire at the horse farm. Oh, and the dog heard the beep from the collar and reacted by thrashing and then biting my hand. :)

That shock made me understand what that other dog felt while spinning in pain and screaming while his owner electrocuted him. I've shared my horrified reaction to this many times and I can't say enough that it was worse than physically getting hurt myself. And I don't even like that stupid dog (same dog ran through wire and attacked my Bertie and bit me in the past).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No collar at all after Junior Hunt. You, your dog, and your whistle starting at Senior Hunt. You also have to honor the working dog.
Yes I should have mentioned honoring as well, since it's literally making a dog sit and watch another dog doing something the honoring dog would love to be doing but they must sit respectfully with their owner and watch.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Random question - can you put it around the neck and do the same?

I've always wondered when I see people bragging about zapping themselves. LOL.
That is where I tested it. Fair is fair in my book.

I'm not bragging, just explaining that I tested it before using it.

The one time I got zapped, it was when I was walking a neighbor's dog back home after he'd run through their I/F. I had taken the dog's collar off and was just carrying in my right hand while hanging onto the buckle collar (from my dogs since the dog just had the shock collar on) with my left hand. If I'd been thinking, I would have thrown the collar into the yard vs carrying it across the line, but I was focused on getting the dog home and pretty furious at the owners. The shock went up my arm and through me. It was worse than touching the electric wire at the horse farm. Oh, and the dog heard the beep from the collar and reacted by thrashing and then biting my hand. :)
I can't speak for those invisible fences, I've never felt one and I don't think they are comparable to a normal e collar. I can tell you that no e collar I've ever felt is even close to a horse fence. I got zapped by a horse fence (if I'm honest, more than once) in the hand and it took 24 hours to get feeling back in the finger that touched it.

·
Kate
23,757 Posts
That is where I tested it. Fair is fair in my book.

I'm not bragging, just explaining that I tested it before using it.

I can't speak for those invisible fences, I've never felt one and I don't think they are comparable to a normal e collar. I can tell you that no e collar I've ever felt is even close to a horse fence. I got zapped by a horse fence (if I'm honest, more than once) in the hand and it took 24 hours to get feeling back in the finger that touched it.
Must be quite different because I felt that zap shooting through me and my arm felt wonky

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Must be quite different because I felt that zap shooting through me and my arm felt wonky
THAT sounds like a horse fence. Since I/F is a fence product, it would not surprise me if it were stronger than an e collar. An e collar is just a tap to say do/don't do that, where a fence is meant to save a dog's life and keep it out of traffic etc, so I suspect much stronger.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Have you ever been to physical therapy? I’ve also put my e-collar on the back side of my wrist and gone all the way through the highest level I would use on a dog. It feels like a TENS Unit from PT at the highest level I’d ever use, and I’ve never used that level.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Have you ever been to physical therapy? I’ve also put my e-collar on the back side of my wrist and gone all the way through the highest level I would use on a dog. It feels like a TENS Unit from PT at the highest level I’d ever use, and I’ve never used that level.
That’s exactly what it feels like to me. A TENS unit was used on me when I injured my back. It doesn’t hurt.

·
Kate
23,757 Posts
THAT sounds like a horse fence. Since I/F is a fence product, it would not surprise me if it were stronger than an e collar. An e collar is just a tap to say do/don't do that, where a fence is meant to save a dog's life and keep it out of traffic etc, so I suspect much stronger.
Interesting.

I wonder why that dog was spinning in tight circles and screaming... if ecollars are mild enough that people are comparing to physical therapy? (I've never had any so I have no idea even what a TENS unit is!!).

I wonder if people are buying ecollars that are quite different than what you and others are describing here?

Even the ones that Diane described in an other thread - which was quite similar to what I had observed.

The thing that confuses quite a bit is on one hand you might say that these ecollars are not necessarily painful even when you put around your own neck - but earlier in this thread you mentioned people who are cruel when using ecollars. And of course, I've seen what I have personally which would indicate that it is painful for the dogs.

It is quite contradictory.

Eh. Doesn't matter long run. This thread has been quite diverting this afternoon - which I needed a good laugh or few today. :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've used a tens unit and they definitely can be made to be painful, where even the highest level on the e collar is not really painful, it's a "discomfort" at most.
The chiropractor must not have turned my tens unit up enough for me to feel that way about it.

Y’all tempted me. I just tried it on myself at 100 on the Dogtra. It would definitely get a dog’s attention, but I don’t know that I’d call it painful. I just used the “Nick” function so it doesn’t last very long. I could see where a dog would yip if someone used the continuous at that high of a level. To me, that would feel painful.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Interesting.

I wonder why that dog was spinning in tight circles and screaming... if ecollars are mild enough that people are comparing to physical therapy? (I've never had any so I have no idea even what a TENS unit is!!).

I wonder if people are buying ecollars that are quite different than what you and others are describing here?

Even the ones that Diane described in an other thread - which was quite similar to what I had observed.

The thing that confuses quite a bit is on one hand you might say that these ecollars are not necessarily painful even when you put around your own neck - but earlier in this thread you mentioned people who are cruel when using ecollars. And of course, I've seen what I have personally which would indicate that it is painful for the dogs.

It is quite contradictory.

Eh. Doesn't matter long run. This thread has been quite diverting this afternoon - which I needed a good laugh or few today. :)
I think dogs react that strongly because it isn't a desirable sensation, I'm not saying it feels lovely. It IS a discomfort, and when someone uses it incorrectly and keeps laying into it, the dog starts to panic about making it stop, and much like a hysterical person they escalate their reaction. For example if I walked up to you and pinched you briefly you might jump and say "what the heck are you doing?" But if I walked up to you and pinched you and latched on and you couldn't get away, your reaction would escalate the longer the pinch went on. So, I don't think the squealing and spinning is due to pain as much as panic, but that is still not ok.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My PT lit me UP with that thing once and I flopped right off the table like a fish out of water. Granted she didn't do it on purpose but I won't forget that one.
I’m sorry, but I’m actually laughing at this one. I’ve had multiple surgeries, my last being a disc replacement in my neck. I have an at home TENS unit. My little at home unit could never, ever cause that reaction. I can see how the larger units could.

·
Kate
23,757 Posts
I think dogs react that strongly because it isn't a desirable sensation, I'm not saying it feels lovely. It IS a discomfort, and when someone uses it incorrectly and keeps laying into it, the dog starts to panic about making it stop, and much like a hysterical person they escalate their reaction. For example if I walked up to you and pinched you briefly you might jump and say "what the heck are you doing?" But if I walked up to you and pinched you and latched on and you couldn't get away, your reaction would escalate the longer the pinch went on. So, I don't think the squealing and spinning is due to pain as much as panic, but that is still not ok.
I personally believe it's pain. :(

Pain is what it is. Call it a different name or compare it to a greater pain.... it still is pain.

And I did chuckle a little at your comparison here. First thought was that I would not let you approach me close enough to pinch. And neither would my dogs.

But if you snuck up and pinched me, you would get simultaneously punched in the face with my left hand, slapped across the face with the right hand, and kicked hard in the stomach to push you away. Which I'm sure you would do the same if somebody randomly assaulted you. :)

Dogs cant do that when assaulted, of course. So they are left to cower or spin to try to get away from the attack.

^^^ I honestly hate saying any of this, because it's word for word what AR types would say about any corrections, even using the word "no". But I'm saying it honestly because it does bother me when the AR types downplay any negatives about the tools THEY use on dogs or want everyone to use. Good example would be the "gentle" leader. Which fwiw, I think is worse than ecollars, because it's constant discomfort and any corrections or attempts to pull by the dog are whipping the dog's head sideways....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would have to disagree about there being no difference between pain and an uncomfortable sensation, I do think there is quite a difference there.

I will tell you that when we pick up the e collar our dog runs to us and starts wiggling in excitement and happily allows it to be put on. She associates it with training, which she likes a lot because, well, ducks and running and swimming...and the collar is part of that. I do not in anyway believe she would willingly come and happily allow me to put something on her caused her pain or fear.

But again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to use a tool they don't want to use, but I caution anyone who does use it to learn to use it correctly.

·
Kate
23,757 Posts
I would have to disagree about there being no difference between pain and an uncomfortable sensation, I do think there is quite a difference there.

I will tell you that when we pick up the e collar our dog runs to us and starts wiggling in excitement and happily allows it to be put on. She associates it with training, which she likes a lot because, well, ducks and running and swimming...and the collar is part of that. I do not in anyway believe she would willingly come and happily allow me to put something on her caused her pain or fear.

But again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to use a tool they don't want to use, but I caution anyone who does use it to learn to use it correctly.
It is what it is.

My guys come running when they see me with my training bag and they go nuts trying to get their heads in the choke chain.

Obedience choke chain has a bigger chain and typically hangs loose around their necks - so I suppose I get that being not a huge issue.

Show chains for conf are kept tight behind the ears and just behind their jaws - and I mean, there's a way to lock them or they don't loosen. I even know of some handlers who put them on backwards because they will stay tight even with a loose lead.

Most dogs are super excited when they hear the jingle of the training collars.

Apparently dogs are.... well, strange. 🤣

61 - 80 of 112 Posts