Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My husband and I have a 1 year old golden retriever/border collie mix (at least that’s what we believe her to be) named Zoey. Unfortunately, she’s had a pretty “ruff” first year. She was heavily infested with parasites when we adopted her, which has been taken care of, but now we’re in what feels like a never ending battle of e coli. We found out a few months ago that she is very heavily infested with e coli. She has been on 2 different antibiotics over the course of the last 2 months (Cephalexin for 2 weeks, then Doxycycline for 5 weeks). The antibiotics seem to only be masking the issue as her symptoms have come back even worse since finishing her last dose. We are very concerned for her well being and want to get her cured asap. We are looking to get a second opinion from another vet, but would like to find someone who has great experience with e coli, or even better, someone who specializes in it. Can anyone please recommend a vet that fits the bill in the Waukesha County, Wisconsin area?

Thank you so much in advance!

Samantha

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
So sorry to about Zoey. I do hope she gets better soon.

You happen to have a top vet school in your area. Perhaps you can call them and ask for an appointment or for a referral to a vet that specializes in infectious diseases in animals.

University of Wisconsin--Madison | Best Health School | US News

Veterinary Medicine

Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences

Address: 2015 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Admissions Phone: (608) 263-6716
Admissions Email: [email protected]
Admissions Website:
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/

Rankings

Tie

in Veterinary Medicine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the recommendation and the quick response! I certainly appreciate it! I will definitely look into seeing if the Veterinary Medicine at the University of Wisconsin is able to offer me assistance with this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have had two goldens treated for cancer at UW Madison. Between the two we have used their oncology,surgery,dentistry and radiology departments. I would highly recommend them. I hope Zoey will be doing better soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the recommendation, Tess! From what you and CalMom have said, they sound promising and I'm hopeful that they'll be able to help out poor Zoey to finally feel better or at the very least, point me to someone who can. My current vet is very kind and treats Zoey very well, but he just doesn't seem to be experienced in this department. I had to ask him to increase the amount of antibiotics for Zoey as 2 weeks worth of antibiotics isn't ever long enough to cure e coli, which I learned from the mass amount of research I've done on the matter. I don't feel that is something I should have to tell a vet...I'd prefer to work with someone who explains to me what the best course of action is and not vice versa.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hear what your saying about your Vet. I have a Vet I like a lot, but I've learned a general practice Vet can only know so much. That's when you need to go elsewhere and Madison is a good resource.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are very right and I'm anxious to be able to start working with UW Madison, as well as hopeful. It is making me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I can't wait until she's healthy. It breaks my heart thinking about what she's been through already and is currently going through in her short 1 year of life.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pup. Please let us know what the vet school says and how she does with new treatment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts