Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am watching the utility class today and I started thinking about articles. So the handler scents one up, gives it to the judge who places it and then the dog goes to find that article. Aren't ALL the articles belonging to the handler? Wouldn't their scent be on all of them? Is the dog looking for the freshest scent? Or do you really never touch the other articles just the one you are showing with?

I just got to thinking all this when I was watching. I am still a long way off from that but I did buy Gabby a plastic training dumb bell at the show.

:wavey:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Once I've scented an article, I let it air out for two days before I'll reuse it as an "unscented" one. Yes it will have your scent on it, but it won't stand out nearly as much as one freshly scented, so that is what you are teaching your dog to find.

Some people can cycle out articles later the same day, but my dogs would pick up my scent if I used it that soon, and it's not an issue I feel is important enough to try to work through, so I just make sure I have plenty of extra articles.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
My dogs are trained for the most scent of mine. For instance, in training I touch each article rather than using tongs. My dogs learn to find the one which has the strongest & freshest scent of mine.

I rotate through my articles and don't really worry much about fresh articles - I used to and it got way too expensive replacing ruined articles that had been left to air and got rained on and metal ones that started looking weird. And having to have multiple sets for cluster shows. Now I have 1 really nice set per dog for showing, and a few sets for training (multiple dogs and more articles than standard)

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Go for the freshest scent. I remember being surprised hearing that some people don't even use tongs and just touch the outside. I threw mine away and started doing that and...no problems. I have never trained articles more than once in a day so I don't know if I could cycle a scent article from earlier in the day or not. Hmm...I also like the idea of people who just touch the article vs. rubbing it excessively in the hand.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
I have two sets of articles for two trials in a day...wouldn't risk using the same set in a day. I "clean" them by rubbing all of them and then leaving them out to air...preferably in the sun, but anywhere outside. I also will touch all of the articles when training. Casey is very good at detecting the strongest/most recent scent.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
It is the handlers preference and what their dog is used to. I use a hot scent so he is looking for the strongest scent and it is distinctive. I can use the set one day and will practice using the same set a day later..I personally don;t wipe mine down and they stay in my car . I never bring them into a motel room..

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think that hand heat enters into it as well!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. It just made me think. I have a friend who said another friend of mine uses tongs. I was thinking.. that would get annoying all the time so it made me ponder.

I did get Gabby her own training dumb bell (plastic) this weekend. It fits her mouth just lovely. J&J was at the trial beats paying shipping.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I started ou using tongs, but once someone pointed out that my dog was trained to scent the middle and not the ends, I learned to just hold them by the edges if I didn't want my scent on it.

Reactions: Stretchdrive
1 - 9 of 9 Posts